PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

fish pie - merged threads

Options

Comments

• ageandjo
    ageandjo Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    Options
    I have been trying to find out how to make a fish pie but I am having trouble finding anything:confused: I have some lovely fresh haddock that would be nice in a pie:D
  • sunnth
    sunnth Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I make fish pie using any combination of white fish, smoked white fish, trout and salmon.

I poach the fish in 1 pt of milk, a bayleaf and a couple of cloves until it flakes easily. Strain the cooking liquid by putting through a sieve then flake the fish and place on the bottom of an ovenproof dish.

Meanwhile put some potatoes on to boil.

Boil a couple of eggs until hard boiled then chop roughly.

Scatter some prawns , if wished, on top of the fish then scatter the chopped boiled eggs on top of that.

Make a sauce by melting 50g of butter in a saucepan, then add 50g of flour, make a roux (white)sauce by taking off the heat and gradually adding the cooking liquid beating continuously. Put back on the heat and cook until thickened.

Pour this sauce over the fish.

Mash the potatoes and put on the top of the pie, spinkle grated cheese over the potato and cook for about 30 minutes at gas 5 or so.
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Hi, ageandjo,
    First you cook your fish - I do this in a deep frying pan with some water, peppercorns, bayleaf and a splosh of white wine or vermouth if there's any knocking around.It takes only about ten mins.

Next you make a white sauce - melt a tbsp of butter in a pan,add a tbsp of flour and stir together to make a paste, cook for a few mins over a low heat.Then gradually add milk, stirring or whisking all the while as the sauce thickens. You'll need about half a pint of milk.

You can use some fish stock or wine as part of the milk.

Flake the fish into a baking dish removing any bones, stir in the sauce (btw I sometimes add some cheese to the sauce) and top with mashed potato. Brown in the oven or under the grill if your fish and sauce are still quite hot.

Good additions are parsley, prawns, sweetcorn and smoked haddock is gorgeous.

HTH:)
  • ageandjo
    ageandjo Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    Options
    :beer: Thank you VVVVV much:T Can it be frozen after?
  • sunnth
    sunnth Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes, if I've used fresh fish I do sometimes freeze it - before oven cooking if I haven't used prawns.
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Yes, but I'm not sure you should refreeze those cooked peeled frozen prawns, but if you haven't used them I think it should be fine.
  • fudgem
    fudgem Posts: 534 Forumite
    Options
    This is quite a rich version but it is really lovely

1 pound white fish, i/2 pint milk, bay leaf, 6 peppercorns, 1 sliced onion, salt and pepper

Put all the above in together and simmer for 10 minutes. then remove the fish skin and bones, strain the liquid and reserve it.

Melt 1 oz butter and stir in 3 level tablespoons of flour, cook gently for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually stir in the reserved cooking liquid, return to the boil and cook until the sauce thickens, stirring all the time to prevent lumps, then cook for 2-3 minutes, season to taste.

then add - fish in bite size pieces, 2 hard boiled eggs chopped, 5 oz single cream, 2 tablespoons parsley, 4 oz prawns. Spoon into casserole dish and top with mashed potatoes, and cook for 10-15 minutes at gas regulo 6, then glaze with beaten egg and cook a further 15 minutes
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Hi, Ageandjo, I also like to add some capers, or finely chopped cornichons (gherkins with attitude! :D ) to the fish. Gives a hint of spicyness.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    i cheat and use a couple of fish in parsley/butter sauce in a bag:o some peas/onions maybe a reduced pack of prawns lurking in the freezer mix it in a dish add mash and bobs your uncle :D
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Options
    Mine - which makes a HUGE pie, about 6 portions - is as follows:

2 fillets skinless white fish (cod, haddock, pollock)
    2 fillets skinless pink fish (salmon, trout)
    enough spuds (in their skins, they're tastier!) to make a good layer of covering in the casserole dish you're using
    1pt milk plus a bit to mash in with the spuds
    2oz flour
    2oz butter for the sauce plus a bit to mash in with the spuds
    some chopped fresh parsley leaves
    grated cheese to taste (2-5oz)
    salt and pepper

Put spuds on to boil. When nearly ready, nuke all fish in microwave (2-3 mins) and start making sauce by melting the butter in a pan, mixing in the flour, then gradually adding milk so you get a smooth sauce. Season with salt and pepper. When the sauce starts to thicken, add the cheese and finally the parsley.

Flake the fish. Place in bottom of large oven dish and pour the sauce over, mixing in as you go. Mash the spuds (in their skins) and spread over the top. Brown off under the grill until the top of the mash is crispy.

Serve with peas :)
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills