PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

fish pie - merged threads

Options

Comments

• mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Try this one.

I keep meaning to have a go, as it looks great, but haven't had chance yet. :o
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • redballoon_2
    redballoon_2 Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks! looks really to do as well
    Make £10 a day challenge March 2013 £101.24 / £240 :j
    WSC 10 March - £0 / £5
    Debt £17,294 - 7th March
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi redballoon,

We have a thread on making Fish Pie that has lots of recipes, so I've merged your thread with it as it helps to keep all the suggestions together. Good luck with making your pie.

Pink
  • Gryfon
    Gryfon Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    Trying to work out what's the cheapest fish I can put into it without it ending up as flakey mush!

Is haddock more expensive than cod generally? I'm so hopeless with fish :rotfl: I know mackerals are cheap but I think they'd fall apart?

Thanks! :beer:
    Fluttering about an inch off the ground, I may fly properly one day and soar in the clouds!

SPC2 #571 - trying to get as much as possible
  • julybride
    Options
    I use all types of white fish in my pie.... whatever has been reduced at the supermarket. But the cheapest i'd say pollock add haddock, I have even used plaice or skate if it has been reduced enough, salmon too. Or a mixture!

(not mackrel or sadines though)
    julybride

DFD 18th Dec2007 :D We did it!!!
  • Gryfon
    Gryfon Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks! So any sort of white meat then?

Shall take the children later as they like going to the fish stand :)
    Fluttering about an inch off the ground, I may fly properly one day and soar in the clouds!

SPC2 #571 - trying to get as much as possible
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Gryfon,

I usually buy fish when it's reduced (any kind) and keep it in the freezer until I have enough to make a pie.....frozen prawns, hard boiled eggs and peas or brocoli help to pad it out too.

This older thread might help you: Value Frozen White Fish

I'll merge your thread with the main Fish Pie thread as it helps to keep all the questions and answers together.

Pink
  • domestic_goddess
    Options
    I am trying to use the contents of my freezer up before my next big shop. I have some coley fish portions and was thinking about making a fish pie. I do have some ready made parsley sauce (Shame on me:rotfl: )and some potatoes. What else can I put in to make it yummy. I could pop to my corner shop for some little bits but its only a little shop so not too much.

Thanks
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi sickofhavingnomoney,

I always put some hard boiled eggs and peas in mine. We have a great thread on Fish pie that should give you lots of ideas, so I'll merge yours with it as it helps to keep all the suggestions together. Good luck with making your pie.:)

Pink
  • SusanCarter
    Options
    My mum used to make tuna fish pie by cooking peas, mashed potato and mushroom sauce in similar quantities to that we would have in a usual meal. She would put two or three tins of tuna in the bottom of an oven dish followed by the peas and the mushroom sauce with the mashed potato going on the top. She then put it in the oven. I'm not sure of the time or temperature she did it for but as everything would already be cooked first you'd just need to make sure it's piping hot. It's not as fancy as some of the others in the thread but we always liked it and tinned tuna is fairly cheap/easy to get hold of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure