PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

fish pie - merged threads

Options

Comments

• gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Options
    I love adding cheese into the white/parsley sauce and my ultimate fish pie has a layer of cooked spinach on the bottom of the dish to soak up all of the fish flavours.
  • domestic_goddess
    Options
    I just made one now and it looks really tasty - Coley Portions cooked in milk and then flaked into the dish. I added bacon, hard boiled eggs and some small bits of carrot and then added my parsley sauce. I am going to put the mash and grated cheese on and stick it in the oven. Yum Yum
    Thanks for everyones ideas
    x
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Options
    I just made one now and it looks really tasty - Coley Portions cooked in milk and then flaked into the dish. I added bacon, hard boiled eggs and some small bits of carrot and then added my parsley sauce. I am going to put the mash and grated cheese on and stick it in the oven. Yum Yum
    Thanks for everyones ideas
    x

That sounds yum!
  • morganlefay
    Options
    I thought would just say that last night we had Delia's fish thing made with her 'easy flaky pastry' - it's from her original 3 part book, Part 1, and we used to have it a lot as it's economical and easy. You make flaky pastry by grating the fat into the flour and then adding water (that really is easy, tho I used butter as she used to use hard marge and I think that's full of BAD things now isn't it ? ) Then you roll it into a square and put (cooled down) cooked fish in a stiffish white sauce with capers, gherkins and boiled egg in, you pull up the corners so you have a square parcel with the edges all squidged together on the top, brush with egg and cook. I'll type out the whole recipe if anyone interested. We haven't had it for years and I know why I liked it (apart from it being delicious) it's because if you make it earlier in the day, come the evening when you don't want to cook you just wang it in the oven and there it is - add a frozen pea or two and scoff, smiling.:rotfl:
    if anyone wants the recipe I'll type it out........
    I do find that going back to that old book of Delia's is often a lot easier (and cheaper) than using new recipes...I read that someone had done her spaghetti meat sauce from the old book, and then one she had done in a newer book and the new one is all 'pancetta' instead of just streaky bacon, and posher mince and other similar things and had gone very upmarket so that the new version cost much more than the old, but tasted much the same. Humm: food for thought amongst us OS people I think !
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi morganlefay,

That sounds really delicious. :drool:

Thank you for the offer to copy out the recipe, but I'm afraid for copyright reasons we aren't allowed to post complete recipes on MSE. We can link to them though. :)

We have a long thread on making fish pie, so I'll merge your thread into it later as it helps to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink

Edit, think I may have found the link to the recipe: Delia's Flaky Fish Pie
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    I can vouch for the flaky pastry. It really is easy and is melt-in-the-mouth. Delia includes it in her HowTo Cook series but she has rejected the bad marge in favour of butter now. Try it in sausage rolls this Christmas ;)
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hi all

Sorry for the dumb question but Ive got 2 Youngs meditteranean glazed hake fillets in the freezer.

Ive never made fish pie before ( personally im not overkeen but then i have never had a HM one :o) and the time has come to use them up

How would I make it- Id like scalloped pots on the top

Would it be possible with these fish portions? What else would I need

:o
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi lynz,

Yes it will work fine with those fish portions. I'll merge your thread into the main fish pie thread where there are lots of different recipes and suggestions.

Pink
  • leni
    leni Posts: 942 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got a load of bargain reduced fish last weekend - whiting and place, tuna, salmon and trout.

Can I use the whiting and place in a fish pie?

DEBT FREE for the first time in 10 years and with savings!

1st Baby due May 2011 :o it's a BOY:j
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi leni,

Any fish or mixture of fish will be great. I buy bits and pieces when I see them reduced and freeze them until I have enough to make a pie. I also like to throw in a few frozen prawns too.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family