PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

fish pie - merged threads

Options

Comments

• Ronankfan
    Ronankfan Posts: 707 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I always put spinach in mine - it tastes lovely.
  • LucyLocket
    LucyLocket Posts: 227 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I cheat sometimes but it's still delicious. I buy the own brand frozen fish ( not necessarily cod which is more expensive) in parsley or butter sauce portions when BOGOF. I put 3 / 4 of those in a pyrex casserole , microwave them, add a small amount of smoked peppered mackerel, maybe some prawns if we have them. Then top with mashed potato and cheese. Put in the oven until hot and cheese browned. My daughters favourite :-)
    Nothing in it, nothing in it but a ribbon round it .....
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Zziggi

As ther is already an existing fie pie thread, I'll merge your posts on to it. As posts are listed in date order, you'll need to read fromn the beginning to catch up :)
  • Peakma
    Peakma Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,I am trying hard to get the kids to eat different and new meals.Gennerally they only eat fish from the chippy.There is a guy who comes round our village selling fish from his van,and everyone says how good it is,so I bought some skinless boneless cod,and a little bit of smoked cod(on his reccomendation)I asked for enough for a pie for about four,it seems like quite a lot nd cost £5.50.I have know idea whether thats a good/bad price? but it's two expensive to go wrong in the cooking process!I genneraly bodge meals together fairly successfuly ,but I'm not that familiar with fish.He said to just flake it in a bowl on it's own,for about 1/2 an hour at 200C,then put mashed potatoes on top and grill some cheese on to melt.
    I think that sounds like it would be a bit dry?I would like to have the fish in a white parsley sauce-like the bought ones.Just not quite sure how to go about it?can I just gently fry the fish and add flour,butter and milk(and a bit of dried parsley),so that it's in a bechamel type sauce(or will that go all wrong?)then add the mashed potatoe,some cheese and bread crumbs,and stick it in the oven for a bit to cook.I guess what I'm asking is whats the best way to go about cooking the fish??fry,oven or microwave?Or does anyone have a good reliable fish pie recipe?Or any other cod recipes.I just hope they'l eat it!!thanks in advance.I need to do it in about an hour,when we get back from school,so any quick replies would be realy appreciated thanks.
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i cook the fish in a little milk in the microwave
    drain and flake the fish
    put in a dish with some peas and sweetcorn and some sliced boiled eggs

i sometimes add a handful of prawns too

pour over parsley sauce ( i just make basic white sauce and add fresh parsley at the end ?!)

then top with mash and breadcrumbs or grated cheese topping

i think £5.50 sounds well expensive to me !! but then i buy cheapy frozen cod and then add a tin of tuna to bulk it up or some cheap prawns

the eggs bulk it up and add a nice flavour too :)
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    theres some easy peasy fish recipes on the campbells soup site :)

http://www.campbellsoup.co.uk/
  • helen81_2
    helen81_2 Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    Options
    hI, Ive made this before and it turned out lovely

these quantities are for each person.

100g any fish (so that would be 200g for 2 of you)

250g potatoes

50g frozen peas

40g cheddar cheese

20g marg

milk
    salt
    pepper
    a bit of veg oil

preheat oven to 180 or gas mark 4
    rub a small amount of the veg oil onto the bottom of an oven proof dish to prevent the fish from sticking.
    Put the fish into the dish (skin side down if your fish has its skin on) salt and pepper lightly and por over abit of milk so the fish is around half covered.
    pop into oven for half an hour
    make the mash and lightly boil the peas.
    take fish out of oven and drain off the milk and save it to use in your mash.
    turn oven up to 220 or gas mark 7
    remove bits of milk skin off the oven dish
    flake the cooked fish with a fork and remove the skin off the bottom of the dish (if had skin on)
    distribute fish evenly
    carefully stir in peas to the mash and spread over fish
    cover with grared cheese and put back into oven for 20mins till gloden and bubbling!

Enjoy!
    love my little man he is amazing :j
  • zombiecazz
    zombiecazz Posts: 535 Forumite
    Options
    How about a little wow factor.

Put all your fish in a pan with some sliced onions some seasoning and cover with milk (doesn't have to be fresh, I tend to use made up powdered milk for cooking) bring this to gentle simmer. for a minute or 2.

drain of the milk and reserve for the sauce. flake the fish a little.
    Boil a few eggs, chop up a couple of tomatoes and some parsley, grate a large handful of cheese.

Make a white sauce using the milk from cooking the fish, add the cheese, mix until cheese is all melted, add a little wine and a tbsp of whisky or drambuie (this is just for taste so can be omitted).

Gentle mix in the fish, chopped boiled eggs, tomato and parsley. place in an oven proof and allow to cool while you're boiling and mashing the potatoes for the top.
    The cooling allows the sauce to set a bit so that the potatoes stay on the top and don't sink into the sauce.
    Bake in a moderate oven until the sauce is bubbling and the potatoes are browning. You can brush a little melted butter/garlic butter over the potatoes for a crispier finish.
    "A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Heres the one from my menu planner for the slow cooker:

Fishermans Pie Recipe

In the slow cooker add 2 cod steaks (normal or smoked is your choice), 1 tin prawns, half a pint of milk, pinch or salt and pinch of pepper, about 2oz grated value cheese. On top add mashed potato. Cook in the slow cooker for about 4 or 5 hours or all day if needed.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Peakma
    Peakma Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is boiled egg something that is usually added to fish pie? Sounds wierd, but two people have suggested it now,I'd never of thought of using it,are you sure I goes well? I did happen to go to the local "egg ladies" house today(as we call her),not been to see her for months,so maybe it's just meant to be?!
    Another friend had suggested cooking cod in orange juice,with corn flakes,which really does sound odd!(one of there family favs,apparantyly,I kid you not!)I will have to try her recipe one day out of curriosity,but I am 99% sure the kids wouldn't eat that!
    Thanks for all replies so far.
    How long does it take to microwave in milk?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure