PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

fish pie - merged threads

Options

Comments

• Hardup_Hester
    Options
    I use the Hugh F-W recipe which uses white fish, smoked fish, salmon & hardboiled eggs, topped with mash & it freezes beautifully

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jcr16 wrote: »
    what are capers please ?

Capers are actually immature buds plucked from a small bush native to the Middle East and Mediterranean regions. Because the flavour can be so intense, most recipes only require a few capers to add sharpness to a savory dish or sauce. Their olive green in colour.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I usually do mine as the poaching of the fish in the milk, then adding to pyrex. I dont like eggs really, so i leave those out adn have frozen peas. for making the sauice I add a bit of flour and a pot of diet creme fraiche.

I dont really like mah either (!) so I use scalloped potatoes done on a tray then laid on the top of the pyrex.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I have a cod fillet (fresh, big), two random white fish fillets (frozen, snmall, old, no idea what they are), veg, potatoes and ability to make white sauce.

Do I just poach the fish, stick it in the sauce, stick mash on top and bake?

Been promising h2b fish pie for weeks and am finally going to do it!
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I usually poach the fish in milk, adding a bayleaf and herbs and use that milk to make the white sauce.

I then flake the fish into the sauce, removing any stray bones.

I tend to add mushroom, sweetcorn and peas to my sauce, although its personal preference.

Once the sauce is made, add fish and veg and put in a baking dish, topping with mashed potato.

Sprinkle cheese on top if desired and bake until golden brown.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That sounds very promising! I put parsley in the sauce if I have any, plenty of seasoning of course and sometimes a little bit of grated cheese on the top gives a nice finish... only if you like it of course!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    H2b won;t eat cheese, sadly. Thanks for telling me to paoch in milk and use that for the sauce!
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya :)

I've added your post onto an earlier thread which is loaded with tips and ideas.

You'll need to read from the beginning to catch up :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • rosiedee
    rosiedee Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All,

Has anyone got a good recipe for fish pie, as easy as poss!!

Saw a really easy one on Good Morning quite a while back, the chef was a lady called Sylvana? It was so simple but can't remember her name
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I gently simmer a piece of pollack and a piece of undyed haddock in milk with a bayleaf.
    When the pollack is opaque flake all the fish into a pie dish.
    Scrub potatoes and put on to boil (or peel them if you're feeling energetic)
    Remove the bayleaf and use the fishy milk to make a white sauce by bringing it to a simmer and whisking in bits of paste made of equal amounts of marg and flour beaten together. Season sauce with a little salt.
    When the sauce has thickened, pour it over the fish.
    Mash the potatoes and spoon over the pie to cover.
    If it's for straight away then put under a grill for 10 mins to brown.
    If serving later, heat for aprox 40 mins at gas 4 450F not sure of degrees C.
    This pie will freeze well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family