PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

fish pie - merged threads

Options

Comments

• Lurkio
    Lurkio Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    Options
    Not entirely simple, but yummmMMmmmm......

Sauce - fryoff some onion and chopped carrots, add a half pint of double cream, handful of cheese, some chopped parsley and a teaspoon of mustard.

put fish of choice in dish (I use cod, smoked haddock & prawns), pour over sauce

Add layer of steamed spinach and chopped boiled egg (optional, but goes well)

top with potato, mashed with olive oil only (no butter, no milk)

grated cheese on top if you want

High oven for 20 minutes

:DNeigh, neigh, and thrice neigh :D
  • livalot
    livalot Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    rosiedee wrote: »
    Hi All,

Has anyone got a good recipe for fish pie, as easy as poss!!

Saw a really easy one on Good Morning quite a while back, the chef was a lady called Sylvana? It was so simple but can't remember her name

Hi there, could it be this one http://www.cooksforcooks.com/july07/wk3/07-31/fluffy-smoked-haddock-potato-pie.aspx ?. Might make it tonight!

Livalot
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    OH does most of the cooking now but whe I've made fish pie in the past I've boiled some cod (or any white fish I could get a right price) then when it's fairly flaky put it in a dish with a few mushrooms (have added leftover carrots sometimes as well) poured over some white sauce or cheese sauce, whichever you fancy and topped the lot with mashed potatos and grated cheese with a bit of parsley on top.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • stressedoutmumof1
    Options
    I use this one - but instead of prawns I put in some hardboiled eggs chopped up and add some peas.
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bung in whatever fish you've got (Cod, Coley, Salmon, Smoked Mackerel etc)and a few prawns if they're hanging around the freezer. Take a packet of Schwartz(?) fish sauce (yes I know but its easy!) pour over. Add mash pot on top and a bit o'cheese. Bung in oven - easy!
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've got one, but I'm not 100% happy with it yet, as the fish was a bit dry. Catt's idea of the packet of fish sauce might be just what it needs.

<OLD RECIPE DELETED>

PS. After reading all the previous posts, Seakay's white sauce seems the simplest way of fixing this recipe, especially as it uses the "fishy milk". Mind you, I do like the sound of Lurkio's half pint of double cream, though!
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Right, this looks more like it. I've got a haddock fillet and some prawns in the freezer, so I might take this for a test flight on the weekend.

It looks long and complicated, but don't forget that it is intended for people like me who need to be told exactly how to make mashed potato.

FISH PIE 2: The Haddock Strikes Back

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS

400g of old potatoes*
    1 onion
    250ml of water
    ½ a teaspoon of salt
    250ml of milk
    350g of white fish**
    2 tablespoons of butter
    3 tablespoons of flour
    ½ a tablespoon of parsley
    Salt and ground pepper to taste
    ½ a tablespoon of butter
    ½ a tablespoon of milk
    Ground pepper to taste

METHOD

Peel the potatoes and chop them into quarters. Peel the onion and chop it into tiny pieces.

Put the water and salt into a saucepan on a medium heat. Add the potatoes. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat until it is just boiling (simmering). Put the lid on the saucepan and cook for 20 to 25 minutes until soft. Check the water level from time to time and top up if it starts to dry out.

While the potatoes are cooking, put the 250ml of milk, fish and onion into another saucepan on a medium heat. Cook for about 10 minutes.

Drain the milk into a bowl. Put the fish and onion onto a plate. Break the fish into small pieces. Throw away the skin and bones.

Put the 2 tablespoons of butter into the saucepan the fish was in on a medium heat. Melt the butter. Add the flour and cook for a minute, stirring all the time. Take off the heat. Add the milk the fish was cooked in a bit at a time. Stir each time to make sure it is smooth. When all the milk has been added, put the pan back on the heat. Bring to the boil. Keep stirring. Turn down the heat until it is just boiling (simmering). Cook for 2 minutes, stirring all the time.

Add the fish, onions and parsley and stir. Season with the salt and pepper.

Drain the potatoes and mash with the ½ a tablespoon of butter and the ½ a tablespoon of milk until it is smooth and lump free. Season with the pepper.

Put the fish mixture into an ovenproof dish. Level off the surface. Put the mashed potato on top. Spread to cover the fish mixture. Make artistic swirls in the mashed potato. This increases the surface area and makes the top crisper.

Cook in a preheated oven at 200°C, 400°F, gas mark 6 for about 30 minutes until golden on top.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

Use a packet of white sauce mix instead of making it yourself, but still use the milk the fish was cooked in. Use 100g of frozen cooked prawns instead of 100g of the fish and add them to the fish mixture when you assemble the pie. Add a chopped hard-boiled egg to the fish mixture when you assemble the pie. Sprinkle 50g of grated Cheddar cheese on top of the potato, or even into it as it being mashed.

PS. Update: I tried it and it works. The fish and sauce mix looked fabulous with the white fish, yellow dyed fish (I decided to save the prawns for a paella) and the little green flecks of the parsley. Tasted damned good too, with that slight smoky tang to it. The only issue was that the mash layer was a bit thin, so I've tweaked the amount up a bit to 400g.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • nikiprior
    nikiprior Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a chef and the recipe I use is so simply yet delicious, firstly make your mash potato, add whoegrain mustard into that. Whilst the mash is making a make a simple white whine sauce white wine cream salt and pepper and reduce it down when its nearly done add loads of parsley. I use the terracotta bowls that you get with tapas which at a guess i'd say were 2 inches deep and 6 inches across. any fish can be used really but I like to use salmon tiger prawns and haddock fillets.
    Layer your fish on the bottom, it should cover the whole of the bottom idealy. pour your sauce over the top and spoon the mash over the sauce and fish. I then make an egg wash and brush the top of the mash. (this gives the mash a slight crunch and a nice golden colour) Put it into a hot over and check after 20 mins or so. Take out the oven and top with cheddar and finish under a hot grill.
  • HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    Options
    I poach my fish (usually salmon, cod and smoked haddock) in milk with a little white wine, a bayleaf and some peppercorns. When cooked drain the liquid into a bowl. I check the fish for bones and skin but leave it quite chunky and arrange in a dish. At this stage add prawns and mussels if you like them. Make a white sauce using the fishy milk and add a handful of grated cheddar and pour over the fish. Top with mashed potato which has fresh parsley and smoked salmon stirred through it and bake until potato is slightly browned.

I always make extra sauce and freeze it to use to accompany any other fish I have in the freezer.
  • kaydn
    kaydn Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    I have got some pollock fillets bought frozen from Lidl £2 for a large bag. They can be cooked from frozen my question is if I used them to make fish pie today could I keep it in the fridge once cooked and reheat for tea tomorrow Thanks Kathy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport