PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

fish pie - merged threads

Options

Comments

• mymatebob
    mymatebob Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    Options
    I would certainly do that and have no problem with it.

(And have done)
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    kaydn wrote: »
    I have got some pollock fillets bought frozen from Lidl £2 for a large bag. They can be cooked from frozen my question is if I used them to make fish pie today could I keep it in the fridge once cooked and reheat for tea tomorrow Thanks Kathy

That's what I do - I make the pie, keep it chilled, and the children put it into the oven the next day so I get home from work to a cooked meal ;)

I'll add your question to the main fish pie thread.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Yorkshirechick
    Options
    Hi,

Am hoping someone can help me please. I'm trying to get my family to eat more healthily, so thought I'd try and make us a fish pie for tea.
    So far I've peeled 2 leeks, 2 courgettes, and I have 2 salmon fillets defrosting in the microwave. What else do I need? I thought I could do a mashed potato topping, and a cheese sauce, do I need more veggies in it? Or anythine else?
    Also - this is to feed me and OH, and our 9 month old son, so needs to be kid friendly. Oh and OH doesn't like fish - or he thinks he doesn't, but I don't think he's even tried salmon, so I'm just going to dish it up without telling him what it is, and see if he'll eat it. It might be a good idea if it had loads of other ingredients in it so he can't really tell it's fish :rotfl:
    Anyway, OH will be home at about 4:30 so I need to get it ready by that kindof time. If anyone can help I'd relly appreciate it - I'm not much of a cook:confused:

Thanks
    Yorkshirechick
    Debts May 09 [strike]£100 Od[/strike], [strike]£1550 boiler[/strike], [strike]£1750[/strike] £400 credit card :mad: Goal - to 3k of savings by Oct 2009 in time for Baby num 2 :j Total so far £1200
  • katiecoodle
    Options
    When I make fish pie I put 2 hard boiled eggs in it. Quarter them & chuck em in. Also I put in sweetcorn & peas. And the easiest way I've found is instead of using salmon (quite a good fish on its own I think) I use the boil in a bag fish which is frozen. The beauty of this is that its already in its own sauce. I use 2, boil them up in the water for 10 mins, add the eggs for another 10. Put fish in sauce & eggs into the pie dish, add peas & sweetcorn from the can or freezer, then top with mash & cheese.

ooh - broccoli goes well with fish too.

Good luck. We're having fish pie tomorrow & I can't wait now.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Yorkshirechick,

I normally add some frozen peas and a couple of hard boiled eggs quartered to mine to stretch it a bit. Then mix the fish with the veggies and egg in a cheese sauce and top with mashed potato.

There's an earlier thread with lots of recipes that should help so I'll add your post to them so you can browse through the ideas.

Pink
  • mwa
    mwa Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    Hello

I was going to make a fish pie with salmon and plaice I got reduced but also have some tuna steaks (30p for 2 in Asda!). Would these go well in it? I'm not convinced myself as I normally make it with white fish and a bit of salmon for flavour but I'd like to use this up if I can.

Many thanks
    MWA
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi mwa,

I have no idea, but it doesn't sound quite right to me. :confused: Tuna steaks are very meaty and (normally) expensive so I'd try to use them lightly grilled or fried, rather than in a pie.

Hopefully someone who has tried it will come along soon but in the meantime this thread might be useful:

What can I do with tuna steak?

Pink
  • ShelBell
    ShelBell Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    On the fish pie subject, does the fish need to be cooked beforehand? Or does it cook in the sauce in the oven?
    Weight loss to date - 8st 13lbs :j
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ShelBell wrote: »
    On the fish pie subject, does the fish need to be cooked beforehand? Or does it cook in the sauce in the oven?

Either way will work. I usually poach it in milk and then use the milk to make the sauce. Everybody has their own preference but there are lots of variations on wasys to make fish pie on this thread: fish pie - merged threads

Pink
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't see any logical reason why tuna wouldn't work in a fish pie.

However, I last had some price reduced tuna steaks just like Pink advised - lightly fried in some garlicky oil. However, I then had it with mashed potato and mushy peas!
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport