BT Price Increases from 1/4/2009

Comments

• staffie1
    staffie1 Posts: 1,964 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    BT seem like rip off merchants don't they? My 18 mth contract with them (home phone and broadband) expires this month :j When I started my total monthly bill (before call charges) was something like £20/mth. Looked through my bills over the last 18mths and the charge has progressively crept up to £38/mth !

BT - stick your bills where the sun don't shine!

I live in a cabled street, so Virgin here I come :rotfl: Virgin can give me 'the mother of all broadband', phone (can keep the same number) and TV if I want it - all for less than £38. If I just want the phone and a much faster internet connection for £15.50/mth for 6 mths, then £20/mth and get £50 for joining.

It's a money-saving no-brainer.
    If you will the end, you must will the means.
  • matty2767
    matty2767 Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    how can they increase the charges if you are already in the 12month contract? surely you can cancel the contract as they have changed the terms at a disadvantage to you.
  • devizes18193
    devizes18193 Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    matty2767 wrote: »
    how can they increase the charges if you are already in the 12month contract? surely you can cancel the contract as they have changed the terms at a disadvantage to you.

i was going to ask the same
  • matty2767
    matty2767 Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    to be honest bt wont be around much longer with home phones/broadband. we only have the line rental because of the broadband.

remember kodak and film. digital cameras were invented and that was the end of them. it will be same for bt. the mobile broadband just needs to have a larger download limit and it will undercut the packages from bt and you can use it anywhere.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It'll be a while before mobile broadband competes (bandwidth wise) with ADSL.
  • glodh1973
    glodh1973 Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    does anyone know how i can find out how long i have left on my bt contract i have been with them since april 2007 but got a phone call last yr asking if i wanted btvision silly me said yes would give it a try but cant remember the terms wether it was 12 month or 18

thanks glo
  • staffie1
    staffie1 Posts: 1,964 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    matty2767 wrote: »

Depends what was in the contract when you signed up. Most likely they'll be a clause saying they reserve the right to amend the terms and prices at any time. If you signed up to it, you agreed to it.
    If you will the end, you must will the means.
  • oh well i am not too fussed. the missus calls a few 0845 numbers anyway so we will probably even out.
  • Fred56 wrote: »
    Do I have a choice living in a deeply rural area? Cable is an urban thing, like buses and freeview. Plus there is the cost of moving the internet service too and BT now charge for the ISP ceasing service and there's an activation charge for the new line provider to set up ADSL. The likes of TalkTalk don't offer a service here and even if they did their reputation is enough to put anyone off. I like my ISP (ICUK) and would want to stay with them because the service is excellent.

Billsavings - Thanks for the info, will follow-up.

You do have a choice but it will be limited. from your post i take it your not in an LLU area?
    If so then its a case of swings and roundabouts im afraid you have to a lot more digging for a good deal.
    It depends on what calls you make when you make them and how much you use the phone.

Everyone should remember all these companies are here to make money.
    They are a business and businesses need to make a profit and profit comes from customers They will try to win your custom no matter what
    just check the fine print before making a commitment
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    They certainly have buried the news about the price increases in the latest email I got. Bold print about the 0845 numbers which does not apply to me anyway as have AOL talk.

But there will be a lot of users seeing quite a big increase with line rental, loss of friends and family and especially daytime rates. I am sure there a lot of people like my parents who still have paper bill and no internet. Might have to set up account for them to use 18185 for daytime calls.

Also what was the point changing the most recent bill so that the monthly rental fitted in with bill date and state bills will be back to normal next time when they clearly won't be. e.g line rental was quarterly and would be till end of Feb, now shows as monthly till 8th March. This now allows them to introduce more subtle errors when crediting old rate, charging new rate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure