PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

AIRING CUPBOARD how do you organise

15678911»

Comments

• Rage_in_Eden
    Rage_in_Eden Posts: 995 Forumite
    I fold my towels a la Anthea (2nd series domestic goddess starting late 2006!!) and was amazed the first time I did it that everything fitted.... then I saw MIL's one day when we were up there and I had to bite my tongue as I was itching to get into it...... Bedding is on the bottom shelf on the cupboard/chest of drawers thing (we got rid of airing cupboard to give us extra space in the main bathroom...), towels on the top shelf, first drawer up is the table linen etc and then top drawer is the unopened spare bedding - for impressing people if they come to stay!! :D all with scented liners/sachets interspersed. it's one of the few things that DH doesn't go near so obviously it's still tidy :D
    But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green :D
  • SusanCarter
    SusanCarter Posts: 781 Forumite
    First Post
    I always thought that airing cupboards where a place for drying clothes. The idea of storing towels or bedding in them would never have entered my head. We haven't got one but it would be nice to have somewhere to put clothes to dry in the winter. Does everybody else use airing cupboards for storage?
  • DSmiffy
    DSmiffy Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    really trying hard to be more OS and use the tumble dryer less.
    I have a really big airing cupboard. The hot water tank is in there but the cupboard is twice the height of that and there is also another good foot of space at the side of the tank from bottom to top. That's loads of drying space if I can utilise it properly.

It has a few shelves in it which I keep the clean towels on, but what I would really like to do is vamp it up a bit and get rid of the shelves. I thought I could put in one of those old type clothes airer racks, like slats of wood that you can raise and lower to hang things on, at the top of the cupboard, my Granny had one in her kitchen.

Only thing is I don't know where I would be able to get one from these days, do they sell that sort of thing in Ikea or somewhere and do they have a special name???:confused:

And what do I do with all the towels, they will still need to fit in there too.
    Anybody else done this in their airing cupboard? How did you do it?

It's a huge space and I could dry all my clothes in there if I could just get it sorted. Would save loads on the tumble dryer costs.

Thanks all OS'ers
  • I use these for towels and bedding

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/105749/mia/pid/7115737

FX
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Once your towels are dry, they don't need to be stored in an airing cupboard - though you would need somewhere else to keep them. Personally, if I had an airing cupboard, I would prefer to use it for drying/airing not rather than linen storage. You can also put some hooks on the inside of the airing cupboard door for hanging things on clothes hangers - or those 'over-the-door' hangers.

Do you have any drawer space in the base of your bed? Or an unused top shelf in your wardrobe? Or an ottoman/linen chest?
  • moneypooh
    moneypooh Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    don't forget to use the door if it's big enough, we have a clothes airer hanging inside the door to get the heat and it's brilliat for long items like trousers and things on hangers.
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Ikea sell the pulley airer racks for £11.99, I was thinking of getting one for my bathroom.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00119042
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • We had our airing cupboard removed; it was taking up far too much room in the batchroom, and we now have a pulley creel in the kitchen ;)

There's an existing thread here, which should give you more ideas - Airing cupboard - how do you organise yours? I'll merge this thread with that one later :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family