PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

AIRING CUPBOARD how do you organise

Comments

• wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    But with Eastenders you don't get such emotional depth or intellectual rigour.
  • angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    Well Ive saved space in mine by doing the following:
    For each bed in your house, put the "spare set" of linen inc duvet cover, under the mattress. You can also add a towel.
    With what is left over, fold into piles of pillowcases and matching duvets, pile of sheets, pile of bath towels etc etc. If you have a set under each matress though, try to cut back on the remainder. Pick out the stuff you havent used in the last 12 months and freecycle it, give it to charity, use it for rags or something.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Walnut_whipp
    Walnut_whipp Posts: 63 Forumite
    Anthea Turner did a bit on airing cupboards on her bbc3 programme... It was facinating... She showed how to fold your towels properly, so they are easier to move and keep neat and tidy... I have to say that I did what she suggested and after folding my airing cupboard looked great... only one problem... who has the time, energy and patients to keep doing it over and over again... I couldnt care less. I went back to the old routine of opening door, throwing in the bits and bobs and shutting the door on it all... Mind you im sick of being hit on the head by loo rolls everytime I open the door. LOL Ha ha.
  • SuperCooper
    SuperCooper Posts: 11 Forumite
    My cupboard sounds like most of those untidy ones described but with one exception - balanced on top of the hot water tank is all the odd socks accumulated over the past months. I'm ever hopeful of the other one turning up!
  • TinaC_2
    TinaC_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi there,

I keep all my spare towels on the slatted shelves, but when I switched from net curtains to blinds I had kept those extending rods I used to use for net curtains.
    I put them across the airing cupboard and hang my washing on them with coat hangers, it does help especially if it's raining and cuts down on ironing too, as the creases seem to fall out.

Hope this helps someone,

Take care,

Tina.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My cupboard sounds like most of those untidy ones described but with one exception - balanced on top of the hot water tank is all the odd socks accumulated over the past months. I'm ever hopeful of the other one turning up!

Good idea, SuperCooper :D Welcome to MSE :)

Pink
  • Shez
    Shez Posts: 2,180 Forumite
    babe_ruth wrote:
    does anyone really care how others organize their airiing cupboards? This thread was a link from martins newsletter. Iv'e just wasted 10 mins strangley hooked on reading about other peoples cupboards. And I call people sad for watching eastenders!! How sad am I???
    Now what to do with an attic full of rubbish. Now youre talking

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: - gotta laugh at that, I too have just sat and read this thread - ended rolling up in laughter!!!
  • Mumsie
    Mumsie Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This one is dead easy! You have to practice origami with the towels and sheets. Always fold your towels and sheets in an identical manner - which is you're really fastidious you can do at the ironing board! The art is getting them all lined up. Recycle any old towels and sheets and put them in your rag bag (you have got a rag bag haven't you?). There's no excuse for old holey towels (Tesco are selling White Bath Sheets for £2.75 at the moment although you have to be pretty thin to wrap one around you - but maybe two sewn together if you're a bit on the rotund side!)
    Back to the airing cupboard.....Put all the sheets together in one pile, duvets in another, towels in another. Try not to mix sizes. Flannels in another pile. Stuff you use often at the top and not so often on the bottom.
    It's all in the art of the folding. Oh and those difficult sheets with corners...now there is a knack to that (which I've yet to discover!).
    Then when you've done all that (no time at all) fill a water spray bottle with water and a few drops of lavender oil and spray a fine mist over everything every time before you close the door.
    Of course, I really do practice what I preach.....
    Charles J
  • spaggy
    spaggy Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We had a leak in our airing cupboard a month ago and I had to remove everything I had stuffed on the floor up.... my bursting airing cupboard has also been blamed for the leak! OH says the pump was loose and had been disturbed by all the duvets stuffed in alongside it!!!!!!!!

We had no heating and were freezing cold for 4 weeks... I have learnt my lesson!

Spaggy
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Anthea Turner did a bit on airing cupboards on her bbc3 programme... It was facinating... She showed how to fold your towels properly, so they are easier to move and keep neat and tidy... I have to say that I did what she suggested and after folding my airing cupboard looked great... only one problem... who has the time, energy and patients to keep doing it over and over again...

Her airing cupboard is the size of my house for goodness sake.:rolleyes: She is also one obsessed woman to be spending her time folding towels like that, and why label shelves with whats on there, you can SEE whats on there:confused:
    My airing cupboard is like 99% of the populations, full of tatty towels and old curtains and duvets that you keep 'Just in case'
    I want to know what strange creature lurks in there and messes it all up when I KNOW that I have tidied it all up neatly last year and now it's a shambles again. Best way to sort it out is to close the door and go and have a cup of coffee and worry about something far more important like world peace or the price of fish:rotfl: :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure