PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

AIRING CUPBOARD how do you organise

Options

Comments

• marsha8
    marsha8 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    I live in a one-bedroomed flat but have the best airing cupboard I have ever had.My Combi boiler is mounted on the wall with one slatted shelf above(for airing my washing) & one slatted shelf below where 4 demi johns sit when fermenting my home-made cider.On the floor I keep a spin dryer (for emergencies) & a greenhouse heater for helping my cider to reach temperature!One pack of 12 loo rolls live on the floor.I have hooks for pegbag,hand held tap shower & 3(yes, 3 hotwaterbottles - 2 for emergencies!)4 longish shelves store bedding,duvets etc.But the piece de resistance is............the back of my microwave sits on one of these shelves.My small kitchen backs on to the airing cupboard & so I had a hole knocked into the wall so that the front of the microwave is set into the wall(view from kitchen) & the back sits in my airing cupboard.OK sometimes my airing cupboard smells of curry(who cares) but I have created extra work space in my small kitchen.
  • waddy80
    waddy80 Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How sad is this?:rotfl:

We are currently renovating our entire house (Expensive!) and the first room I got to paint - The airing cupboard. I even stripped all of the woodwork in it and painted it properle. The rest of the house has generally dropped in decorating standards!
    Now my boyfriend and I just keep arguing about how many shelves should be in it! and whether the hoover should be in it or not.

One tip that I can give out - we had our tank ripped out because we went to a combi boiler in the loft, but we got the plumber to run hot water pipes thru the cupboard, which means it is still handy for drying stuff!
    Money, money, money, must be funny....in a rich mans world.

• jobee*
    jobee* Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    We have just had a combi bolier put in and the storage tank and cupboard removed - So now I have a lovely big oak chest of drawers to know where everything is in :)
  • katiev007_2
    katiev007_2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    try https://www.organizedhome.com for loads of great organising tips including figuring out your clutter personality! :j (I'm, a defferer perfectionist btw)
    I love this bonkers thread and i don't even have an airing cupboard (sniff, sniff)
  • wheely-bird
    Options
    I was feeling a little bit "low" but after reading all the above, I am now laughing out loud, all on my own. "Been there, done it" I thought it was only me with anairing cupboard problem. Now I realise I am HUMAN! Thankyou all, you've made a grey-haired old lady very happy.
  • frannyscho
    frannyscho Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    What a lovely mad thread! I have to join please. I suggest finding freecycle in your area - it's a brilliant site for people who really NEED those spares that you don't care for but can't get rid of because they're still useful.

Step 1 - Pour the whole lot out onto the floor in the middle of a different room, not the same one in case you get tempted to stuff it in again
    Step 2- Clean the cupboard out and/or paint it a mad colour that you never dare paint a room in just to please yourself.
    Step 3- Choose your favourite sets for each bed and put those back in.
    Allowing yourself a spare set or two of each size
    Step 4 - For each type of thing allow one per member of the family and four guests
    Step 5 - Freecycle all the rest to people who need it. You will have mega feelgood factor on three counts, soon to be four after step 6.
    Step 6 - Time for that bottle, is it yardarm time?
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    frannyscho wrote:
    What a lovely mad thread! I have to join please. I suggest finding freecycle in your area - it's a brilliant site for people who really NEED those spares that you don't care for but can't get rid of because they're still useful.

Step 1 - Pour the whole lot out onto the floor in the middle of a different room, not the same one in case you get tempted to stuff it in again
    Step 2- Clean the cupboard out and/or paint it a mad colour that you never dare paint a room in just to please yourself.
    Step 3- Choose your favourite sets for each bed and put those back in.
    Allowing yourself a spare set or two of each size
    Step 4 - For each type of thing allow one per member of the family and four guests
    Step 5 - Freecycle all the rest to people who need it. You will have mega feelgood factor on three counts, soon to be four after step 6.
    Step 6 - Time for that bottle, is it yardarm time?

I love your reply :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Except step one, because I'd just close the door on the different room. :o

Pink
  • Snoopy_rules
    Snoopy_rules Posts: 715 Forumite
    Options
    Read this tread with amazement, but sorry I have got to ask. ......Where does everyone air all there washing these days. Am I doing something wrong. My airing cupboard is full of ironed but still damp clothes!!!!
  • mooncalf
    mooncalf Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    where do you get the slatted shelves for airing cupboards?

new place has a boiler cupboard no shelves. so where does one find theses. had a look in ikea as I thought they used to do them but didnt find them. any ideas?
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have never bought them, DH put up piece of wood as support either side of cupboard, then cut a number of lengths from a nicely sanded plank or 2, & put them in place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport