Anything & Everything New York (PART 2) - [please search thread before posting]

Options

Comments

• M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hieveryone wrote: »
    Hey kezby, I'd assume its with all long-haul flights? I'm hoping so anyway!

Plus, I'm staying in Times Square too, Staybridge Suites. I worked in New York state for 5 months last year and any time I went into the city I stayed pretty central. I'd say that your 1st few times going it might be good to stay in 'touristy areas', just until you get a feel for the place. Plus, some people prefer to stay in amongst it all and not have to worry about getting the subway at midnight to go back to their hotel, each to their own.

What hotel you staying at? If it's got good reviews and you got it for a good price then personally I wouldn't take any notice of what others say.

It depends with airline whether you have complimentary alcoholic drinks. Soft Drinks are always free.

Delta have recently changed their policy, because back in march is was $7 a drink, and the previous march $5 a drink, so this time, i must ensure I drink enough to get back what I paid for previous cans of beer... haha :D

Am i allowed to say that anywhere in Manhattan itself is pretty central?
  • ajdj
    ajdj Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kezby_2k wrote: »
    Its called the Iroquois (And is a nightmare to spell) - Its got some great reviews, and we got a relatively good deal. I say that, but I've found it cheaper after we booked it, but I dont look anymore coz I know if I see it cheaper, it'll wind me up!
    I was originally going with a broadway-crazy friend, hence her wanting to be so close to Broadway, but plans have changed now and I'm going with my sister.
    I'm getting very excited about it now, started booking things... So far I've booked Phantom of the Opera, and a pizza tour. Still trying to work out whether its worth paying the money to go and see Wicked (On the website, there are some not-great seats for $110 each, or ticketmaster sells them, you're looking at £150+ for slightly better seats)
    If there's free drinks on the plane, thats a bit of a bonus!
    I have to say, this forum has been a godsend - Its the first holiday I've planned, and the fact that theres lots of people who know what they are talking about has been amazing :)
    Kerrie

Kerrie,
    My partner and I stayed at the Iroquois in January and can confirm it is an excellent hotel!
    I would definitely NOT describe it as being in Time Square, it is just off 5th Avenue, one block from TOTR and St Patricks Cathedral. Time Square is only a 5 min walk but far enough away to not feel you are staying there.

Firstly, not only is a nightmare to spell it, its also a bit difficult to pronounce! If you remember it rhymes with Uraguay (Ir-oq-why) you will be fine and taxi drivers etc. will know what you mean! Our room was very luxurious (Molton Brown products, frette linen etc) but was on the small side (as most NYC hotels are). It was quiet and very clean though. There is a small gym for residents which we did make use off and apart from one morning was practically empty. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel as there is was a FAB authentic american diner 2 doors down called the Red Flame which served well priced food and bottomless cups of coffee.

On our first night we had a wonder down 5th Ave and went into TGI's to take advantage of happy hour (from 4pm). If you sit at the bar you get 2 for 1 drinks which significantly reduced the cost of drinking alcohol (which we found to be pretty expensive in NYC). Afterwards we ate at the Greek restaurant a couple of doors down from the hotel called Kellari. They did a 3 course fixed price menu for about $30 which I can't recommend enough. They have menus on the website and there is no need to book. Ideal for your first night there when you are tired, hungry and feeling a little disorientated!

The only other tip I can give you is to go on the hotels website and sign up for their Gold club. Its free and they will post you a card and welcome letter. If you email the hotel directly and say you are in the gold club and give them the dates of your reservation they should provide you with a free gift in your room (usually a bottle of wine). This isn't guaranteed but worth a go. Any other questions let me know and i'll do my best to help!
  • kezby_2k
    kezby_2k Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    ajdj wrote: »
    Kerrie,
    My partner and I stayed at the Iroquois in January and can confirm it is an excellent hotel!
    I would definitely NOT describe it as being in Time Square, it is just off 5th Avenue, one block from TOTR and St Patricks Cathedral. Time Square is only a 5 min walk but far enough away to not feel you are staying there.

Firstly, not only is a nightmare to spell it, its also a bit difficult to pronounce! If you remember it rhymes with Uraguay (Ir-oq-why) you will be fine and taxi drivers etc. will know what you mean! Our room was very luxurious (Molton Brown products, frette linen etc) but was on the small side (as most NYC hotels are). It was quiet and very clean though. There is a small gym for residents which we did make use off and apart from one morning was practically empty. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel as there is was a FAB authentic american diner 2 doors down called the Red Flame which served well priced food and bottomless cups of coffee.

On our first night we had a wonder down 5th Ave and went into TGI's to take advantage of happy hour (from 4pm). If you sit at the bar you get 2 for 1 drinks which significantly reduced the cost of drinking alcohol (which we found to be pretty expensive in NYC). Afterwards we ate at the Greek restaurant a couple of doors down from the hotel called Kellari. They did a 3 course fixed price menu for about $30 which I can't recommend enough. They have menus on the website and there is no need to book. Ideal for your first night there when you are tired, hungry and feeling a little disorientated!

The only other tip I can give you is to go on the hotels website and sign up for their Gold club. Its free and they will post you a card and welcome letter. If you email the hotel directly and say you are in the gold club and give them the dates of your reservation they should provide you with a free gift in your room (usually a bottle of wine). This isn't guaranteed but worth a go. Any other questions let me know and i'll do my best to help!

Oh fabulous :)
    I've been pronouncing it irr-oh-qwah for ages heh :)
    Actually now that you mention it, I do remember seeing the bit on the website saying how far away they are from everything, and I remember Times Square being five minutes away. The cathedral looks amazing, cant wait to see that!
    I dont mind so much about the room being small, I'd rather it be small and clean, than big and dirty :S - But to be honest, I've wanted to go to NY for so long, I wanted to stay in a decent hotel, just to make the most of it, if that makes sense?
    I have heard that the restaurant is a bit over-rated, but the red flame sounds like a breakfast spot! So far, I've been taking note of all the food reccomendations, I want to try lots of things I've not tried before while I'm there. That menu does look nice actually, I'll definately have to remember that one - I think we land about 9pm so that'll be handy as we're gonna get an early night (We've got a pizza tour at 11am the next day!)
    I'm a big fan of the cocktail menu at TGI's over here, so I'll definately be doing that one :) My budget is about £1000, and people I've spoken to seem to think I'll never go through it, but I'd hate to run out of money towards the end or something!

I did see the gold club thing on the website, but presumed it was for people who stayed there often. I'll go check it out now :)
    Thanks for all your help, you've made me feel a million times better about it :)
    Kerrie x
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ajdj wrote: »
    taxi drivers etc. will know what you mean!

You're having a laugh right??? Your average NYC cabbie has'nt got a clue where he's going, never ever rely on them to know where you want to go, ie always make sure you now your cross streets.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    havent met one that understands proper english yet American they understand but try pure english and huh !!!!!!
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree with Phat Bear. never tell a taxi driver what you're going to, but the cross streets. There are over 400 hotels in NYC, so not every taxi driver is going to know where things are.
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know where to get a limo cheap to collect me from jfk and take us to the hotel?

Many thanks

Steph xx
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stephb1986 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where to get a limo cheap to collect me from jfk and take us to the hotel?

Many thanks

Steph xx

Why a limo?

$45 for a taxi, plus toll and tip, so that makes it $60

a car service is slightly cheaper, and a stretch limo will be over $100
    try carmelcarservice.com
    or dial7.com

I'd rather pay $7.25 on the airtrain and subway, and then spend the money on something nice in NYC

M
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The only time a limo comes into its own is if there a few of you, for example its $160 for 8 passengers into the TS region of manhattan, so $20 each.

Like Mr Moo i tend to use the airtrain, and when i get to jamaica station get my metrocard for the week and everything is sorted, that way you avoid traffic jams etc
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • cashbackproblems
    Options
    kezby_2k wrote: »
    Yeah actually thats how I booked the phantom of the opera tickets, through a link on here to broadway box!
    Just to change the subject now... Does anyone have any reccomendations for sushi restaurants? Preferably not TOO expensive, as I have a budget of £1000 for a week (Would have been more but I was made redundant a fortnight ago!) - And I want to buy something from Tiffanys while I'm there!

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Iv just found out from a friend that you can get same day tickets for broadway shows half price from Duffy Sq ticket booth, as i asked him the details looking to book some online as well as he goes twice a yr.

Im going in Sept staying in the Helmsley (42nd) and have just bought tickets for the Yankees, booking this far in advance makes it more exciting!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure