Anything & Everything New York (PART 2) - [please search thread before posting]

Options

Comments

• M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello
    If you recall i was on here yesterday complaining/mentioning my booking with 1800hotels... that id found the hotel id booked 300.00 cheaper on quikbook.com but 1800hotels refused to refund the difference [i know they didnt have to btw]. this was 1800hotels office based in uk.
    When i orgionally emailed i sent email to 1800hotels.com as i booked via .com site and the us version has email back saying they are unable to match the price but would offer full refund.
    Thirty Thirty hotel is still available with quikbook.com at a buy now pay later offer.
    What do u all think?

Buy Now Pay Later is a great thing with quikbook as it is a cancelable rate. You can keep looking for something better, maybe on travelzoo etc.

My only advice is the call the hotel before and request your bed type, because once I booked a double, and ended up with a twin, and they couldn't/wouldn't do anything for the full 5 night stay.

M
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JackieBlack

it is the safest above 1 million (i think), it is the 3rd safest above 100,000

so there are 2 cities that are safer with a population between 100,001 and 999,999

M
  • becky_rtw
    becky_rtw Posts: 8,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I like TS to visit but I also wouldnt stay there - its too noisy for me! I thin what Marky is saying - there is more to NY than TS - its like London - I have to walk /run past big ben twice a day and Ive yet to see the same tourist twice - you go, you take piccies, you go somewhere else to get a drink :D

I did love UES though (sorry Marky :p) and I would pay more to stay there next time I have to pay as I love the feel round there!
  • simpsonsfan
    simpsonsfan Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I would say definately stay in Manhattan. We stayed at The Herald Square hotel. It's a budget hotel, nothing fancy but it is very clean and they do change the bed linen every day. It's not that cheap, but then no hotels in NYC are cheap. The location is pretty good as it's round the corner from The Empire State building and Macy's a must for the shopaholic. The street it's on looks dingy at 1st glance, but lots of the streets in NYC are like that. If you can hold off your trip till November I would as the Xmas lights are fabulous.
    HTH
  • thatsfabulous
    thatsfabulous Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    Options
    greenface wrote: »
    Mark your knowledge and the time you put into this forum is second to none and if it wasnt for you this place would slowly disappear but your opinion of times square is only your opinion you seem to be a lone male traveller having been to new york 11 times soon to be 12 (if i go to london again i dont really want to see big ben again) ( im a liverpool fan so london is our second home)
    Telling people to avoid the tourist trap of times square :oesp when they ask for "places to stay" "first time in NYC" "kids" "within easy reach" etc Times square is a important place in Manhattan and Broardway Theatre Land normally throws out around 11pm people want to be where people are and whithin a short spit back or the knowledge and route back to their hotels esp. with family and kids. Be fair and look the bigger picture Times Square /Vegas Strip/Eiffel Tower/Piccadilly Circus all have their place in Tourism . I would be happy to return to Times Square esp. with kids and so would my kids With or without me.
    Thanks
    greenface, have you been to the liverpool fc bar in new york?
    If you have is it worth visting?
    I found out about it online and thought id pay it a visit later in the year when i go as i am also a liverpool fan.
    New York ♥..........These street will make you feel brand new, Big lights will inspire you.
    No place in the world that can compare ♥ 2nd October 2010 ♥
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    knew about it but never got to it .we were there as a family in feb 07 when we beat baca 2-1 away . Went on my own the day before watched ar*enal in a decent but empty faux irish bar (shamrock )i think by Grand Central & Chrysler . Returned the wednesday in shirts with my lfc mad son in a wheelchair to be turned away saying too full for a wheelchair (even though he was 17 also)watched the last hour @ NASDAQ sports bar Times Square Big Screen but not many real fans . Will look to call in next time we are there with B.I.L who is LFC nuttsTake some memoribilia with us
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    becky_rtw wrote: »
    I like TS to visit but I also wouldnt stay there - its too noisy for me! I thin what Marky is saying - there is more to NY than TS - its like London - I have to walk /run past big ben twice a day and Ive yet to see the same tourist twice - you go, you take piccies, you go somewhere else to get a drink :D

I did love UES though (sorry Marky :p) and I would pay more to stay there next time I have to pay as I love the feel round there!

But that's the thing UES has the bars where you can get a beer for $4 compared to $7, and it has some great restaurants there too!! I'm a LES person when it comes to my boozing though... always will be I think because that's where all the decent bands end up playing! :D
  • HGLTsuperstar
    HGLTsuperstar Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    Options
    OK change of topic - basketball and the Knicks (although in recent years some would argue what the Knicks have been displaying does not count as sport but they're my adopted team and I want to see them at the Garden when I go in December).
    The schedule wont be out until August but...trying to plan the rest of the weekend. I have 3 nights (Friday to Sunday) - is it likely that a game will be on the Friday or Sunday, so I can book something else for Saturday?

Also is ticketmaster the only option - I can only afford the $10 tickets on their site and guess I won't see anything there.
    If the game is Sunday, what's the chances of getting returns when we arrive in the city, especially as everyone seems to be slating the team of late - will they be trying to fill the empty seats?
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    OK, now I'm getting worried..

Booked flights with Continental to New York, was the only direct flights from Glasgow I could find.. and now some of the reviews look a bit dodgy to me.. :(

I'm not so bothered about uncomfy seating etc as the flight was quite cheap but I know my mum and dad will moan the face off me if it's bad :(

Aircraft is a 757-200 and some of the reviews say this aircraft isn't suitable for transatlatic flights??

Anyone shed any light??

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I would say definately stay in Manhattan. We stayed at The Herald Square hotel. It's a budget hotel, nothing fancy but it is very clean and they do change the bed linen every day. It's not that cheap, but then no hotels in NYC are cheap. The location is pretty good as it's round the corner from The Empire State building and Macy's a must for the shopaholic. The street it's on looks dingy at 1st glance, but lots of the streets in NYC are like that. If you can hold off your trip till November I would as the Xmas lights are fabulous.
    HTH

Hiya, I was looking to book the last week of November but I found out the lights are only turned on, on the 3rd of december this year.

hth

Steph xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family