The Giving Up Smoking Thread!! Part 2

Options

Comments

• shellshell
    Options
    hi every one.

congrats on the non smoking, thought id join this thread as im giving up the ciggies too. today is last day. tomorrow i will be smoke free. my main reasons for doing this are a. although i dont smoke around my children they have spied me smoking and have started to mimic the smoking actions b. need to be healthier c. am aiming to be debt free by dec 2009 my weekly smoking costs over a year is £670.80 (thats a lot of debt paid) so with those reasons behind me not only am i extremely determined but also quite confused as to why i even started in the first place!! ok so thats me, will be back soon.

well done every one xx
    Be debt free by 31/12/2009
    Going smoke free 04/01/09
    studio cards £54.60 sister £150.00 mum £530.00 additions £640.05 natwest personal loan £8,584.74:eek: I will be debt free by dec 09!!
  • queen_vi
    queen_vi Posts: 993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    oh dear what a day now the television has blown up was watching darts there was a bang now its flashing standby and wont come on not had a cigarette today will try not give into it tonight think ill do some comps now to cheer myself up a bit DH now watching portable in bed Naomin will try thr clementines next time i go shopping
  • BlueIsTheColour
    Options
    Jay_Jay wrote: »
    :confused: Why don't my quotes appear in neat little boxes - what am i doing wrong

Where it says
    after the post you are quoting, when you're in the edit box, you have somehow deleted the [/] that should be before the word quote like [/q.uote] without the full stop.....

Hope that makes sense?
  • crazybird_2
    Options
    Hi all

I had my last cigarette on new years eve, Had a really bad headache yesterday. Doing ok so far. The only thing worrying me is I've already noticed I'm eating loads more. Good luck to you all, xx
    January GC £38.35/£150
  • BlueIsTheColour
    Options
    Sue-UU wrote: »
    Wonderful news Blue!!!!! :T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T

I'm so very proud of you and I hope YOU are proud of you too!!! :j

Take care tomorrow and don't let anyone stop you from being a non smoker!!! We're all behind you every step of the way and will remain that way, together we'll help you conquer it. Don't let the dirty little nicotine devil win - see him inside you trying to win you over and fight the 'orrible thing with all you have!!!!

Also to help a little, try to 'see' us all looking at you throughout any times of temptation, we'll be the ones with the glares :mad: threatening to throttle you IF you weaken!!! ;)

Good luck H and thanks SO very much for letting us know what happened. Clemantines, clematines and clemantines and LOADS of willpower.

Keep strong as you CAN get through it all and you dearly want to!

Sue x

Thanks Sue and Jay Jay too, you're both great and really helpful :T I am still fighting the urge, but have made myself a cup of tea and am treating myself to a shortbread :D

I like the idea of 'seeing' you all there glaring at me, it will def help, as I think I would be too embarassed to come in and say I had given in :rotfl: Think its also PJ time now too.....
  • Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    crazybird wrote: »
    Hi all

I had my last cigarette on new years eve, Had a really bad headache yesterday. Doing ok so far. The only thing worrying me is I've already noticed I'm eating loads more. Good luck to you all, xx

Hi Crazybird,

Get yourself some clementines or icepoles. Anytime you feel a craving, have one of them or a glass of water helps too.

naomi x
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • Jay_Jay_6
    Options
    Where it says
    after the post you are quoting, when you're in the edit box, you have somehow deleted the [/] that should be before the word quote like [/q.uote] without the full stop.....

Hope that makes sense?

Hey it worked - Thanks BlueIsTheColour :j
    Smoke free 01/01/09 :T
    PaD since 10/12/08 - Dec-£46 / Jan-£39.88
    CC1 Mint [strike]£1215.39[/strike] - £896.63
    £2 savers club #82 £4 (banked £20)
  • Jay_Jay_6
    Options
    crazybird wrote: »
    Hi all

Hi Crazybird - me too, I packed up New Years Day and haven't stopped eating since - the evenings are the worse and I keep 'reaching' for my ciggies - but I'm hoping that's just the 'habit' of smoking. Drinking water definitely helps - and I'm just going to deal with one thing at a time, pack up the fags and if I do put on any weight it will always be cheaper to go to WW or SW !! good luck - keep up the good work - day 4 tomorrow :j
    Smoke free 01/01/09 :T
    PaD since 10/12/08 - Dec-£46 / Jan-£39.88
    CC1 Mint [strike]£1215.39[/strike] - £896.63
    £2 savers club #82 £4 (banked £20)
  • Sue-UU
    Sue-UU Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    queen_vi wrote: »
    oh dear what a day now the television has blown up was watching darts there was a bang now its flashing standby and wont come on not had a cigarette today will try not give into it tonight think ill do some comps now to cheer myself up a bit DH now watching portable in bed Naomin will try thr clementines next time i go shopping

Oh dear queen vi, what a rotten shame and sadly sounds as though it might be 'gone'! Do try hard to not let it stress you too much, not easy I know, but try. The sleeping problems are sometimes experienced and can be a pest, a laugh too if you ever read Waspeze's on the old thread!!! Again as with cravings, drink plenty of water to wash all the muck away from inside, it all helps to cleanse the body and the mind. I used to have some dreams where I was convinced I was still smoking - even woke up convinced I had a ciggie in between my fingers and was terrified I'd started again! :eek: Such a relief when I realised it WAS a dream!:D

It won't last for long, so don't worry about it too much as that only exasipates it all. Have a relaxing bath or a long relaxing shower before bed, a mug of Drinking Chocolate is lovely and aids sleep too. Get as much exercise as possible in the day and you'll get more tired as a result as well wearong off the boredom quiyying cigs brings. Every day is a step closer to your goal vi so keep on with the journey, it's so rewarding when you get to the first week, the first month etc; it really elates you!:j

Hi crazybird and welcome to the thread. So many people complain about headaches, a lot of it is caused from the stress of the giving up - the "what will it be like"; "will I be strong enough to cope?"; "how long will it take me to be free from cravings" etc. All these run through our heads so often each day, hardly any wonder we get headaches!!! Try drinking plenty of water as it will hydrate you which will help you so much and cleanse you, also OJs are marvellous and the vit C is great for beating cravings. I'll send you a PM of tips in a moment you'll find help with not eating bad things too! See Naomi's post about ice poles, they are amazing, sour lemon sweets too!!!

Hi shellshell, welcome to the thread to you also. You have such great reasons listed and with all those I don't think you can fail, just keep reminding yourself of all of them daily and look at the faces of those young ones who love you dearly and rely on you! Study the PM and act on it, all the things in it help so much!

Well done BlueIsTheColour, you've done yourself proud!!! Keep reminding yourself of the fact that you made it through!!! We're all here for you, never forget that.

Jay_Jay, you're doing great, you too Naomi!!!:T Well done MoonRose77, glad you listened to your boady and didn't risk hurting yourself by doing too much, you're certainly determined though so keep it up and stay strong!!! :T ou also Eriberri and the running will be great for you but don't push yourself too much.

Congratulations EVERYONE!!! :j:T:jAll in all you've had another very successful day, wake to a fresh one tomorrow and strengthen that resolve at the start of it and don't let stress mess things up.:naughty: If anyone does Yoga, then have a go with that or anything similar to prevent boredom!

Have a good Sunday folks.

Sue
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 = £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48 17 = £871.52 18 = £800.00 19 = £851.022021=£820.26[/SizeGrand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!! 2015 = £52.852.06! 2016 = £52, 002.40!! 2017 = £50,456.23!! 2018 = £47, 815.88! 2019 = £38.538.37!!!! :j
  • queen_vi
    queen_vi Posts: 993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    good morning all
    untill i stopped on 01/01/2009 at 10.20 in the evening i had smoked for 45 years gave it up 3times the last time was 5 years ago lasted 4 weeks the longest i stopped for was 24 weeks am really going for it this time
    this really a great help reading other people doing the same thing feeling the samethanks everyone for all your help

ps Sue-uu television has gone thanks for the above when i can later will try and find Waspeze's on the old thread
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure