The Giving Up Smoking Thread!! Part 2

Options

Comments

• Sue-UU
    Sue-UU Posts: 9,560 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Waspy! Hope you had a wonderful smoke-free Christmas & New Year and are still doing just as well as a non smoker! :D How long is it now by the way? Have a great New Year and keep up the quitting as I'm sure you will.

You too Naomi, you must be determined or you wouldn't keep on trying! :T I'm pleased Waspy has been on to tell you more about Champix, joop too.

Congratulations on your great success cheap_charlie and thanks so much for coming on here to give others a very motivational post of hope at, what for many, is a very vulnerable time and it's hearing from those like you and you too Utopia that will help them strive on! Come on here as much as you wish as its such a great help. Brilliant and thanks so much to you both, you also Feedie!!! :D

MoonRose77, that is a great post and I see you really are putting in all that's needed in order to help yourself through it all, as well as keeping any excess pounds off. A perfect way of describing the smoking v drinking feelings too.
    Hi Scruffy Baz, a great 44 hours by the sound of things.:T So many people find doing lots of cleaning to be very beneficial and just think how clean your house could be by the time you're through quitting! Very therapeutic for sure! The 'missing out on something' will get less and less with each passing day, well done!

daleigha, well done with the psychology of the bailey's there! Any twitchy times of 'routine' type cigs then try and change the routine ie. with a different drink afterwards or getting straight on with the washing up, going out with the dog ....or pretending to!! :confused:;) Yes, clementines will help with the boredom as well as the Vit C, 2 great ones at one time!

BlueIsTheColour, you're doing so well and such a brilliant idea about the PJs!!! Anything that works!

kalojac Well done with the 44 hours! Another one gone into a great healthy routine for both mind and body and you'll benefit greatly with both so do try hard to keep it up. OK, so the morning coffee and after supper fags are missed, but try a different routine at both times, such as a different drink at both, or getting on with the washing up or some form of exercise such as a brisk walk.

Hi Jay_Jay and a warm welcome to the thread and to MSE! Well done on 2 days! I'm sending you a PM of hints to see if you can get those nibbles in check, but plenty of fresh air and brisk walks will help so much in general to keep off the pounds. Having said that, if anyone finds that nibbling helps to initially cope with the ciggies, then don't worry as smoking is the greater evil by far! You can soon start tackling the pounds a little further down the line - BUT - if you make sure you do a certain amount of daily brisk exercise now it'll help so much especially with the cravings! :j

Also to Everyone!

Keep the money you'd normally have spent and put it in a jar/pot anything, so you can watch it all mount up, then use it to pay a bill/debt off, it doesn't arf give you a huge buzz to be able think I DID THAT!!! You could all do worse than join us all on the "Sealed Pot Challenge 2" on the DFW board. Have a look at posts 1 & 2 on the first page and see what you think, it really helps motivate to save and when thinking of other things it takes your minds off of the perils of fags!!! :p :A

All the very best of wishes to you all and to all the lurkers thinking about it and being so very tempted - yes YOU there :money: reading this! Come on in and test the waters truly, you may even surprise yourself!

Keep strong everyone ....you KNOW that you CAN do it ....focus on that HUGE goal ahead!!! :j

Sue
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 = £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48 17 = £871.52 18 = £800.00 19 = £851.022021=£820.26[/SizeGrand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!! 2015 = £52.852.06! 2016 = £52, 002.40!! 2017 = £50,456.23!! 2018 = £47, 815.88! 2019 = £38.538.37!!!! :j
  • queen_vi
    queen_vi Posts: 993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    woke up 40 minutes ago cant sleep had a strong coffee need something to sort my mouth out
    hi Sue-uu thanks for the tip the bitter lemon will get them when i go shopping later
    i have icepops in the freezer just tryed one the cold helps mouth feels a bit fresher
    anyone else had trouble sleeping dont normally remember dreams but had a few last night is that part of it or just me?
    thanks for all your support will come back later
  • Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Queen Vi,

Dreams are part of it. I remember when I last gave up having some quite vivid ones and a lot of my friends who have given up have also had them. I wonder if it's anything to do with getting more oxygen to the brain and the nicotine not being in the system?

Glad the ice-poles are working. I'm off to Mr. T's in a bit so will grab a big bag of clementines! :D

Naomi x
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • Jay_Jay_6
    Options
    Morning all - I can relate to what you are all saying about distrubed sleep - I never normally wake in the night, but since I've killed Mr Nic I'm paying for it in the night !! nighttime tele is the pits. Well i'm off to the shops today to buy me 20 bags of clementines, 100 celery sticks and a couple of cartons of ice pops - have a great day all and breathe in the fresh air (I'm in London so its not that fresh) !!
    Smoke free 01/01/09 :T
    PaD since 10/12/08 - Dec-£46 / Jan-£39.88
    CC1 Mint [strike]£1215.39[/strike] - £896.63
    £2 savers club #82 £4 (banked £20)
  • daleigha
    daleigha Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    hi everyone!!

well im 22 hours in, and so far i feel fine! (phew!!) :D i have thought about it a few times, but havent had really bad cravings - honestly, i think its being able to come to this thread and see how well the rest of you are doing!! :j

i have though eaten a full packet of Terry's Twilight mint things between last night and this afternoon, so i really need to go and buy some clementines, or i may be waddling down the aisle (but smelling as fresh as a daisy lol!!) come september!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

well done to everyone who has managed it this far, keep up the good work!! and also to SueUU again, for great advice and encouragement!! :beer:

Jay_Jay - isnt 'The Dog Whisperer' fab?!?! I love him!! :D

daleigha

xx
  • BlueIsTheColour
    Options
    Sue-UU wrote: »
    BlueIsTheColour, you're doing so well and such a brilliant idea about the PJs!!! Anything that works!

Sue

Thanks Sue, your posts are always most welcome, thanks for taking the time to care so much about other people :T

The PJs did work, last night was quite tough, and if I had been dressed I think I would have gone to the shop, but as I wasnt I couldnt be bothered and gave the clementines a bash instead :D Managed it too, so not too bad! Today I dont feel so bad, I still have the headache and am drinking plenty, and keep telling myself this is day3 so must be getting better????

Well done everyone, at least the clementine suppliers are doing well out of us :rotfl:

Oh yeah I also bought a new money box yesterday, a massive tin, only £1,50 so not too bad, and have put the money I would have spent into it, and I will try to do this as much as I can, obviously somehow I would have found the money for cigs so why not find it for my moneybox, the thought of being able to offer full and final settlement to creditor is a good motivation too!
  • kalojac
    kalojac Posts: 423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well that is us into day 3 of not smoking - I am loving it. Having a day off from the exercise today, but have been coughing quite a lot through the night, which I suppose is my lungs clearing all the cr*p out. Well done to everyone else!:T
  • simbalou
    simbalou Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    I can't believe the 6 months celebration of me quitting passed by without me realising yesterday! Only when I looked at my Silkquit meter today it dawned on me. I'm like superwoman now. Last year was all about money and stopping smoking (both for myself and my family) but this year is all about me. I no longer class myself as a smoker, I don't have cravings as such anymore (and I did suffer really badly with them a while ago), I just 'remember' when I would have had a cig.

I now need to lose the weight I put on since quitting (a stone) and if I can stop smoking then I can lose the weight that went with quitting. If you follow sensible dietary advice when stopping then you shouldn't put on much weight, I however stuffed myself at every opportunity and am now paying the price!!:rotfl:

I bought a Tassimo coffee machine and have a gorgeous coffee every morning which isn't tainted with a cigarette in my mouth.

Keep going everyone, new and old. We all know it's worth it in the end it's just the journey that's hard! x
    DMP mutual support number 199
    Debt free in [strike]2025[/strike] 2018 (hopefully a lot sooner!)
    :j Smokefree since 10pm 2/7/08 :j
    Baby no.3 due 29/04/2011
  • simbalou
    simbalou Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    kalojac wrote: »
    Well that is us into day 3 of not smoking - I am loving it. Having a day off from the exercise today, but have been coughing quite a lot through the night, which I suppose is my lungs clearing all the cr*p out. Well done to everyone else!:T

Well done kalojic, you're through what I think is the worse period of quitting. The cravings do start to subside after day 3 and you realise that there's no point having another cigarette just to quit again and go through the whole process. It's goo dthat you are coughing everything up. I never had the pleasure and still worry about what's actually being carried around in my lungs (maybe it snuck out without me noticing)

Well done again, and keep posting. It's like therapy!
    DMP mutual support number 199
    Debt free in [strike]2025[/strike] 2018 (hopefully a lot sooner!)
    :j Smokefree since 10pm 2/7/08 :j
    Baby no.3 due 29/04/2011
  • BlueIsTheColour
    Options
    :mad: :mad: I am really wanting a cig right now, the urge is massive, and now my OH has told me we are going to the pub tonight and I just dont know if I can survive that, any help please??? :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure