The Giving Up Smoking Thread!! Part 2

Options

Comments

• graemecarter
    graemecarter Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Day 4 is here. I am pleased I have done 3 whole days without a ciggie, though I did find yesterday harder than days 1 & 2.

Still, might buy a big calendar today and cross those days off. I must have saved 15 pounds too
  • Waspeze
    Waspeze Posts: 2,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all...
    I must say, it's great seeing so many faces/names giving up now.. the more the merrier and it does help everyone knowing there are others going through it :beer: :beer:

BRLLIANT !!
    Sue-UU wrote: »
    Hi Waspy! Hope you had a wonderful smoke-free Christmas & New Year and are still doing just as well as a non smoker! :D How long is it now by the way? Have a great New Year and keep up the quitting as I'm sure you will.

Hi back Sue :) .. been about one and a half months now.. my quit meter thingy is on my work pc so can't give you it to the minute just yet :o;)
    Really looking forward to this year ... very positive (get discharged in about two and a half months!)
    Hope you have a good one too :beer:

queen_vi wrote: »
    good morning all
    untill i stopped on 01/01/2009 at 10.20 in the evening i had smoked for 45 years gave it up 3times the last time was 5 years ago lasted 4 weeks the longest i stopped for was 24 weeks am really going for it this time
    this really a great help reading other people doing the same thing feeling the samethanks everyone for all your help

ps Sue-uu television has gone thanks for the above when i can later will try and find Waspeze's on the old thread

Thought i'd give you a hand as it's a long thread that old one :D

Originally there are some dream posts around page 263-265 (that was the first time round so wasn't expecting it) .. then this time round they start around page 405 :)

HTH :cool:
    :hello:
    Save a little money each month and at the end of the year you’ll be surprised at how little you have.
    An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind
  • SAMHP_2
    SAMHP_2 Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't had a fag for over 4 years and can honestly say giving up has been the best thing I've ever done. Feel great, more money, no more smelly clothes, hair and breath and, strangely, the ability to drink huge amounts of wine without a ghastly hangover!

I had tried many many methods over about 20 years - you name it, I'd probably tried it. My best result was buying a book by Allen Carr called something like 'Easiway to Stop Smoking'. You can still smoke while you read it and even when I was ploughing my way through it (it's quite a tome), I thought 'this won't work' but, I got to the end and didn't smoke another cigarette for over a year. (You can almost certainly pick up a copy at the Library or your local charity shop for a few quid)

Sadly I relapsed due to a major trauma in my life, but then decided to go to one of their stop smoking clinics. I must stress this is NOT a cheap way to give up (cost me around £150 at the time I think), BUT, if they fail to stop you smoking after the first or further two follow up sessions, you get your money back. So, essentially, all you are giving up is your time (the sessions last several hours) and, HOPEFULLY, smoking.

I would recommend it to anyone as I have had no craving or desire to smoke since, nor have I put on any weight. You can find all their details on their website http://www.allencarrseasywaytostopsmoking.co.uk/

Incidentally, I have absolutely no association with them other than owing them a huge debt of gratitude for making me smoke-free and happy!
    Good luck to anyone who is giving up, by whatever method - it IS worth it!
    SAM
  • Jay_Jay_6
    Jay_Jay_6 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon all - still no ciggies but having a bit of a carp day - started off with the ironing which (this is gonna sound disgusting) I must of chain smoked whilst ironing before and I really missed that stinky thing burning down by the side of my ironing board - I was even enhaling the steam by the end of the huge pile of clothes - so have tried to keep really busy since, cooked, cleaned, coloured hair - now run out of things to do !! Hope everyone else is having a better day !
    Smoke free 01/01/09 :T
    PaD since 10/12/08 - Dec-£46 / Jan-£39.88
    CC1 Mint [strike]£1215.39[/strike] - £896.63
    £2 savers club #82 £4 (banked £20)
  • BlueIsTheColour
    Options
    Oh no Jay Jay hope you havent succumbed?? Go for a walk, pick up a book or something, anything to distract your thought process. You're doing well, you know you can do it! and dont do any more ironing!!!:D

I am feeling really ill today, am not sure if its a cold, or cos of the lack of cigs, my head feels 'full' not aching, but the fullness you get from a cold, my throat is sore and I have an awful cough....:( but the upside of all that is that I def dont fancy a cig at the mo, although we are off to the pub later....
  • Jay_Jay_6
    Options
    Thanks BlueIsTheColour - no haven't had one and not going to !! just feeling it a bit more today - not gonna give in though - would feel awful coming back to this thread - just reading through the reply's on here - so many people have smoked for so long and have also given up for so long - I'd feel like I was letting them down as well. Nope - that's it - get rid of any distraction - ashtrays have been thrown and now the ironing board will follow !!

Good luck down the pub later - one benefit - at least you won't have to stand out in the freezing cold tonight to have a puff - look at all those suckers standing outside freezing their wattsits off :j
  • BlueIsTheColour
    Options
    Yay well done Jay Jay, good news, glad you managed it, and throwing the ironing board away sounds good, whats a few wrinkles compared to no cigs?:D

I know what you mean about letting the people here down, which I think is a good thing, its really helping motivate me. I asked my OH to get me some more clementines earlier and he said Tesco didnt have any left, so maybe everyone is stopping smoking around here;)

You're right, no more standing outside freezing, can stay in the warm instead:j
  • daleigha
    daleigha Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    afternoon non-smoking buddies!! :hello:

well done to everyone who has managed to keep off the cigs, and welcome to the newbies!! :D

lol Blueisthecolour - thats how i feel too - i would be sooo ashamed to come on here and tell you all i had had a ciggie, and feel the 'virtual disapproval'!! :D

queen vi thats carp about your TV, but if you keep up the no smoking it shouldnt be too long until you can buy another one with your ciggie money!! silver cloud and all that lol!!;)

Jay_Jay, I have a cat, and used to find it hilarous watching her skidding about on laminate in our old house!! :rotfl: im also dreading being back to work tomorrow as thats when i have my definite cig routines, and its also a time for me to catch up with the craic, as i work in an office on my own. but i only have three weeks left until i leave there, so at least i know its not forever!! :T

me & OH went for a walk last night, and i had a craving as soon as i got in, as i would normally be racing out for a smoke as soon as i return home from a walk, but it didnt take long to pass. i just made myself a baileys and jack daniels instead (delish, but rocket fuel!! :eek: ) we went for another walk this morning to kill some time, and im also really really worried about putting on some weight, so hopefully the walks will be a good help!!

went to mums after, and told them all that i have quit, and she had some clementines in her fridge, so they have now come home with me!! so im feeling ok today, 2 days and 48 minutes in!! :D:D

daleigha

xx
  • graemecarter
    graemecarter Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jay_Jay wrote: »
    Thanks BlueIsTheColour - no haven't had one and not going to !! just feeling it a bit more today - not gonna give in though - would feel awful coming back to this thread - just reading through the reply's on here - so many people have smoked for so long and have also given up for so long - I'd feel like I was letting them down as well. Nope - that's it - get rid of any distraction - ashtrays have been thrown and now the ironing board will follow !!

Good luck down the pub later - one benefit - at least you won't have to stand out in the freezing cold tonight to have a puff - look at all those suckers standing outside freezing their wattsits off :j

I am finding it harder as I go on in this no smoking lark.

My first 48 hours were not too bad, but now 99 hours in and I am twitching away, feeling very irritable and discontent. My body is telling me to smoke, and my mind is resisting.
    The debating society is in my head!!!!!
  • Jay_Jay_6
    Options
    Exactly - its in your head !! and its your head and not Mr Nic's !! so you can win this debate - I've just been looking through videos on You Tube - especially Allen Carr - definitely helped - good luck - and tomorrow is another day - maybe worse, maybe better - but it will be another day to add onto your total
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business