The Giving Up Smoking Thread!! Part 2

Options

Comments

• feedumall
    feedumall Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    evening all ,and a happy new year:j ,reading this thread is reminding me how i felt when i first gave up:eek: ,but it gets better honest:D ,you are all stars and should give yourselves a pat on the back.when i quit had a dream i was smoking really glad when i woke up and it wasn't true:D i smoked twenty a day :o so have saved approx 1,500 pounds:eek: or should i say have got a lovely holiday lined up and lots of nice paints etc instead of sending my money up in smoke.if you want a cigg take a five pound note and set fire to it,no way :eek: but if you smoke you do this every day what a waste.xx feed
  • Jay_Jay_6
    Options
    I've found the smilies :j thanks
    Smoke free 01/01/09 :T
    PaD since 10/12/08 - Dec-£46 / Jan-£39.88
    CC1 Mint [strike]£1215.39[/strike] - £896.63
    £2 savers club #82 £4 (banked £20)
  • queen_vi
    queen_vi Posts: 993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi just reporting back it 24 hours now and not had a cigarette mouth still very dry tomorrow i will have to watch what i eat as not stopped eating sweets all night if anyone can recommened something to chew or suck on please do
    think this is a great idear writing it down helps a lot
  • Waspeze
    Waspeze Posts: 2,479 Forumite
    Options
    queen_vi wrote: »
    hi just reporting back it 24 hours now and not had a cigarette mouth still very dry tomorrow i will have to watch what i eat as not stopped eating sweets all night if anyone can recommened something to chew or suck on please do

Lollies worked for me as gave me a little stick to play with as well :)
    :hello:
    Save a little money each month and at the end of the year you’ll be surprised at how little you have.
    An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind
  • Jay_Jay_6
    Options
    I am really going to have to watch what I eat - I start eating about mid-day and then don't stop. I'm hoping that it will be better when I go back to work Monday, but will have to watch it in the evening - my mouth waters when I fancy a cigarette but I concentrate on my breathing and know it will pass
  • graemecarter
    graemecarter Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    queen_vi wrote: »

QV - I am chomping my way through Polos at a rate of knots. I find my blood sugar level is quite low for much of the day too.

COME ON
  • Waspeze
    Waspeze Posts: 2,479 Forumite
    Options
    Can you do something else to occupy your time? the eating can sometimes just be put down to feeling at a loose end, you're not smoking so eat instead as it gives you something to do... I went out for walks and changed bits of my routine, albeit temporarily just to stop thinking that i needed a ciggie.

Distraction tactics ;)
    :hello:
    Save a little money each month and at the end of the year you’ll be surprised at how little you have.
    An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind
  • Jay_Jay_6
    Options
    I did dust my bike off this afternoon - and as I've been watching alot of the 'Dog Whisperer' lately, decided I'd take the greyhound as well !! first time he's been out with me on a bike and as he's old and shouldn't be running at 35mph any more - well we were doing fine until he stopped for a pee, bike stopped as well, but I managed to jump off and hopped over the handlebars - tried to look really cool as i turned round to gather up bike and dog,,,, but no cigarette to get over my embarrassment !!!
  • joop
    joop Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm taking champix and really the only side affect I've noticed is that I seem to sleep a lot lighter and wake up during the night. Quite vivid dreams, sometimes about people that are not normally welcome (ex's etc) very odd, but just dreams!

Now that I'm a veteran of 1 month and 1 day :j I can say that yes, I remember the fidgety times and the feeling that I should be somewhere doing something, then reminding myself that I don't do that anymore and run a bath or something like that.

Satsumas and clementines have been my saviour. By the time you've peeled them and got all the hairy bits off, youre craving has gone. Better for your teeth and waistline than sweets!

I do and probably always will consider my self a smoker who doesn't smoke anymore, having failed in the past with that "just one ciggie". But I am delighted with myself for trying again and so far suceeding.

Good luck everyone, and to the newbods, you will get amazing support from this thread.
  • Sue-UU
    Sue-UU Posts: 9,560 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    queen vi graeme and Jay_Jay,

Try sucking any sour sweets, such as sour/bitter lemons or whatever they're called. Ice pops are something else that's a good one and both are what helped "feedumall" (one of our successful quitters) through her trouble spots. They're cold which is good, they're long-lasting and have a bit of taste ....and if needs be you can go straight on with another immediately after having the first!!! Though do suck the blessed things - not CHEW them!:rolleyes:

Hi joop and many congratulations on that amazing first MONTH goal!!! :T :j I'm thrilled to bits for you. I'm so glad that the clementines and satzumas work so very well, a two way thing of goodness and DIY there! ;)

I'm sure that with time you'll soon get passed that feeling of being a person who's a smoker doesn't smoke anymore. You need more time to pass until that day that you just KNOW you used to smoke but gave it up X amount of time ago!

Keep strong everyone and kiss each new tomorrow (ok today) with a hearty hello and breathe in that great FRESH air!!! :D

Sue
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 = £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48 17 = £871.52 18 = £800.00 19 = £851.022021=£820.26[/SizeGrand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!! 2015 = £52.852.06! 2016 = £52, 002.40!! 2017 = £50,456.23!! 2018 = £47, 815.88! 2019 = £38.538.37!!!! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure