PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Using up fresh fruit

Comments

• barbie_babe
    barbie_babe Posts: 668 Forumite
    which fruit can you jar up that sounds lovely .
    :j
  • inhotwater
    inhotwater Posts: 34 Forumite
    Do you have a yoghurt maker? Make some fruit yoghurt.......

You can also make frozen yoghurts, or make smoothies and freeze into lollies.
  • MonkeyGirl
    MonkeyGirl Posts: 587 Forumite
    Hi again thank you everyone for you thoughts.

Tm I tried the smoothie recipe you gave it was gorgeous I had it for breakfast.

Unfortunalty I dont have a yogurt maker no.

To the person who said about banana bread I make that a fair bit anyway although havent recenlty as ran out of some ingredients and keep forgetting to buy them :rolleyes:

Thanks again though people I knew you would come up trumps :T
  • Fruit crumbles and pies freeze pretty well too - and will be a lovely treat when the the cooler autumn nights come along. You can make them with many of the fruits you have mentioned - apples, pears, plums (plums are lovely with ginger). Not sure what your exact health concerns are, but perhaps you can make a low sugar version? Or get some kind of substitute from a health food store?

Oh, and the deli across the road from me does lovely pears poached in red wine and black peppercorns (sounds odd but delicious) and is also doing something similar with plums. Sadly, I've had to curtail my spending in this lovely shop - but it's given me loads of ideas to copy at home!
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Barbie babe

I use strawberries, cherries, peaches, nectarines, raspberries, blackcurrants, blackberries, plums, seedless grapes, apricots, anything really, except bananas. I have three friends waiting for December, who want the fruit for their Ch*****as trifle. You can use gin, vodka, whisky, rum, brandy, or any combination, it doesn't matter, because you only taste the fruit by the end. Just add a spoon of sugar to your taste each time you add fruit.

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    you can freezer bananas in their skins, then either eat them frozen (instant bananas ice lolly!) or use them up in banana bread when you next have the other ingredients in.
  • pandas66
    pandas66 Posts: 18,811 Forumite
    Lovely lovely fruit, read with envy a whole load of free fruit and some really yummy ones. I've stocked up with a new batch myself today and have found a couple of slighly browning bananaswhich I can't eat. They have to be under ripe for me, could anyone direct me to the Banana Bread recipe please and do I need loads or will 2 be enough. I shall grill them if I've not got enough, kids can have them with ice cream.
    Panda xx

:Tg :jo:Dn ;)e:Dn;)o:jw :T :eek:

missing kipper No 2.....:cool:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Join the Be-Ro website, click on list all recipes on the right hand side, and look for banana tea bread.

http://www.be-ro.co.uk/f_insp.htm
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • MonkeyGirl
    MonkeyGirl Posts: 587 Forumite
    This is a tried and tested recipe I use if thats any help.

Banana Bread

Prep time 15-30 mins

Cooking time 1hr gas mark 5

6 banana's very ripe ( I use speckled ones)
    1 cup light brown sugar or 1/2 of demera
    2 cups Self raising flour
    1 tsp Vanilla extract
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda (I used bicarb)
    1 cup raisins
    pinch of salt
    1/2 tsp cinammon

pre heat oven. Mash banana's & sugar until well blended. In seperate bowl mix flour,baking powder, baking soda/bicarb,cinammon & salt. Mix well. Then add banana & vanilla mix well. Add raisins stir in. Grease loaf tin put mixture in and cook for 1hr. Turn out and leave to cool on a cooking rack before slicing.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ...i have started this thread.... for recipes for fruit, that on the turn so to speak......i asked in another thread..about how much food people waste.... and its seems a few of use got the same problem......fruit......there were some lovely ideas....so i thought a seperate thread.... would be usefull...especially this time of year .......

hope this is ok........
    Work to live= not live to work
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family