PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how to cook a 3 bird roast

Options
For the first time this year we have a duck, stuffed with a chicken stuffed with a pheasant - with some stuffing inside. It is 4 kilos and looks lovely. Any ideas on cooking times/methods (I should have asked the butcher but it was frantic in there!)

Thanks for your help

downshifted :-)
Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi downshifted,

This may help: Three bird roast

Pink
  • tessie_bear
    Options
    sorry dont know how long to cook it for but it sounds lovely.....could u phone or call into butchers tomorrow ?
    onwards and upwards
  • wogglemaker
    Options
    You lucky lady,

It looks fantastic (just had a look at the site you recomended Pink-winged). let us know how it went.
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It matters not if you try and fail, and fail and try again;[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But it matters much if you try and fail, and fail to try again.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Stick to it by R B Stanfield
    [/FONT]
  • Splodgey
    Options
    I have one of these for the first time ever as well!

Mine is a turkey with a pheasant, partridge and guinea fowl... (it's a beast!)

Not sure of the weight of mine but it is to feed 12 and my butcher has recommended putting it on at 140 (gas mark 1) for 6 hours - seems a long time but I think the intention is to slooooow cook it to keep it nice and moist.

Have also invested in a meat thermometer to make sure the inside is cooked through.

Don't forget to let it rest for an hour to make it easier to carve!

Good luck :)
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Options
    I'd like to do a bird within a bird etc for Christmas Day this year. I'm looking at doing 3, maybe 4 birds at the most. There are just the 2 of us but looking for plenty of leftovers :D

Does anyone have any tips etc on preparing one from scratch? I've seen them in the supermarkets in the last couple of years and have gone :eek: at the price.

I have seen the Aldi one advertised but I wouldn't feel that was 'special' enough for Christmas as it's pre-made/frozen etc.

Has anyone ever done their own? I'm guessing it would be turkey, duck, chicken with stuffing inbetween and then something small - wood pigeon? :confused:
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi burlesque babe,

I've been thinking about doing this for Christmas but not sure if I will as I am still outnumbered by those who want the usual turkey with all the trimmings. :(

I was thinking of chicken, duck and pheasant but you can use any birds of your own choice. They need to be de-boned and spatchcocked and skinned (apart from the bird on the outside which keeps it's skin). Then add stuffing to each layer and tie or sew the combined birds and stuffing up to look like a bird shape.

I found these (three part) videos which will explain much better than I can:

Multi-bird roast

Part 1 (how to de-bone a bird)

Part 2 (how to make a stuffing)

Part 3 (Assembling the birds)

Pink
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow you guys are adventurous! Must not let my OH see this, he's been wanting a bird-in-bird roast for years!
    Good luck to those who manage it, think it's medieval so if searching for recipes maybe include that word.
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • HannahIOW
    HannahIOW Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    Options
    Ah the good old Turducken :) always wanted to try that but worry about it being properly cooked in the middle?
    £2 Savers Club 2011 (putting towards a deposit :)) - £588
  • timmmers
    timmmers Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We had bird within a cat one Xmas

t
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure