PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Please help me impress my new man!!!!!!!

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    First meal i cooked my husband was cottage pie. 'Oh yum' he exclaimed 'Shepherds Pie'. I then educated him as to the difference between cottage and shepherds pie. It broke the ice and gave us something to talk about through that awkward silence.
  • zcrat41
    zcrat41 Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well well, I'm having a lurk on here today and came across my old thread! Just thought yuo'd like to know I hit our 18 month anniversary today!

And I did make shepherds pie ;-)

Good luck Ice, hope it goes well x
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    zcrat41 wrote: »
    Well well, I'm having a lurk on here today and came across my old thread! Just thought yuo'd like to know I hit our 18 month anniversary today!

And I did make shepherds pie ;-)

Good luck Ice, hope it goes well x

Hi! How exciting for you to report back :D I'm sure you nearly had a fit seeing it on the front page :rotfl:

No more lurking now lady, keep posting :p:A

Congrats on the anniversary
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Jaggers_2
    Jaggers_2 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Oh dear, what is up with you lot? A blokes point of view here....

Why cook? Most blokes when being going round for a meal would not care what is to be served up, however if it's to posh it puts everyone on edge!

Tell him to call in at the chippie on the way round. He pays for that because you have paid for the wine. Eat out of the bag with fingers because who wants to wash up? Who has the time?

If the evening is a success there is plenty of time to cook him bacon in the morning! Oh, and have a spare toothbrush. If he turns up with his own he is far to used to staying over night at someone elses!
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    In my book Lasagne is not posh!!! It's an everyday dinner isn't it?

Admittedly, I might have made an effort with it - the whole lasagne was made from scratch - not a jar in sight! Same with the meringues for the eton mess, made last night and hopefully waaay more toffee-ish than shop bought ones.

If he gets here and says "I don't like lasagne" He'll get sent down to the chippie on his own.

:T to zcrat41
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I cooked this Toad in the Hole recipe for my husband in the very early days of dating, it's still one of his favourites. The recipe is for 4 so you could halve it and I sure as hell don't buy my ingredients at Waitrose!

Serves: 4

Ingredients

400g pack Waitrose Speciality Pork and Fresh Leek Sausages
    2 medium onions, cut into thick wedges
    150ml Waitrose Pure Apple Juice
    Pinch of dried sage
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 medium eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
    100g plain flour
    225ml milk
    Method

Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Fry the sausages in a non-stick frying pan for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the onion wedges and fry for a further 5-7 minutes until the sausages are golden brown.
    Pour the apple juice into the pan, add the dried sage and bring to the boil. Let the liquid bubble for 5-7 minutes until it reduces to a sticky glaze.
    Pour the oil into a medium-sized roasting tin and place it in the oven for 3-4 minutes to heat gradually (see Cook's tip). Meanwhile, whisk together all the remaining ingredients to make a smooth batter.
    Using a pair of scissors, cut each sausage in half. When the oil is hot and smoking, carefully add the sausages and onion mixture, then immediately add the batter. Return to the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the batter is well-risen and golden brown. Serve with gravy, such as Duchy Originals Organic Fresh Gravy, and some steamed Savoy cabbage.
    Cook's tips

The secret to perfect well-risen, fluffy batter is to make sure the oil is really hot before adding the batter.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • zippychick
    Well Icey, when is your dinner? I don't think you mentioned?:)

• Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    It was last night and went great, thanks.
    Next date is arranged for Friday (oh, that's tomorrow, whoop :D) and he'd already confirmed this morning that he has survived the lasagne. Cheeky so and so!
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
  • zippychick
    Happy days! Good for you. He could be a keeper!:j

• rossal1
    rossal1 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 6 June 2010 at 9:35AM
    hi
    i may be one of the lucky ones but my OH is actually trained as a chef, but not work as one now.

if he cooks[approx 50%of time] i am not allowed in kitchen - yippee!

but he makes a quick easy meal he calls it sausage pie

brown sausages and onions in oven dish
    when done poor on tinned chopped tomatoes [ tend to use the ones with added herbs in]
    and cover with mashed potatoes and bake back in oven to get the crusty topping [a la shepherds pie].

we have this with veggies or salad or on its own.

it is tasty filling and easy

its great as its quick, not much prep [can be done day before and thrown in oven when new man comes round] and if you are not well off can be as cheap as you want.

i spose if new man was veggie then veggie sausages can be used [dont quote me on this as i have not tried]:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure