PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Please help me impress my new man!!!!!!!

Comments

• lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Don't cook him anything! He'll expect you to keep cooking instead of eating out. Well, that's what happened to me. :-)
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Steak and salad? Or a BBQ? Then he can do his Tarzan impersonation (although without the loincloth, obviously!)
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    You could do something that was either cold (like little tapas dishes) or something like spagetti bologense - you could make the sauce in advance (it always tastes better a day later anyway) and just cook the pasta on the day then reheat the sauce - that way you won;t be in the kitchen for more than fifteen minutes :) Salad, bread and red wine with it :)

I'm a great beliver in dinner party food that doesn't need any attention when the guests are around :) have a great time, cel x
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    lilac_lady wrote: »
    Don't cook him anything! He'll expect you to keep cooking instead of eating out. Well, that's what happened to me. :-)

I was brought up to pay my share and I can't afford to be eating out every week. I'm simply not comfortable letting him pay all the time.
    Steak and salad? Or a BBQ? Then he can do his Tarzan impersonation (although without the loincloth, obviously!)

Sadly don't have a BBQ or even a garden for that matter. Also, never quite managed to get the hang of steak. I always manage to smoke out the kitchen and I was kinda aiming for the domestic goddess, effortlessly whipping up something lush for dinner :cool:

Another also I forgot to mention (sorry!) the dinner can't contain any onions in a substantial form as he won't touch them with a barge pole. I think very finely chopped may be OK.
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    A couple of chicken breasts and a jar of cook-in sauce. The white wine and cream one was lovely when we used to get it before OH turned vegetarian. Serve with mash, oven chips, roasties or even rice.

Have you got a slow cooker?
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    What does he normally choose when you eat out? What do you normally choose?
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    M&S dine in for two deals...bluff it that you cooked it :)
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Something light. It may not be a seduction meal, but you may both be nervous if it's your first meal in.
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fish is great because you can cook it in only a few minutes and if you get the fishmonger/Asda/whoever to fillet it, you'll have no prep at all. Something like a couple of nice tuna steaks would cook in a minute or two on each side and tuna isn't stinky so your house won't pong of fish.

A nice marinade for tuna is as follows:

Heat 50ml soy sauce with 50ml brown sugar in a small saucepan till the sugar dissolves. Add a clove or two of garlic, chopped finely, and a teaspoon of sesame oil. Marinade the tuna in this for an hour or so.

Then cook the tuna in a grill pan if you have one, or otherwise a frying pan, for about a minute on each side for pink in the middle (which is lovely!) or two minutes for a bit more well done, throw some of the marinade in there too and it will go lovely and sticky.

Serve with a salad (cherry tomatoes, nice leaves, a few spring onions maybe) and some boiled new potatoes tossed in melted butter and Maldon/sea salt or a bit of parsley. Very very little effort.

A pudding that also requires very little effort is Eton mess! Or you could do a golden syrup sponge in the microwave, have it ready to go and it will cook in about seven minutes, just serve it with some bought ice cream. What else... a fruit crumble of some kind would be nice and easy, and you could have it ready to stick in the oven half an hour before you want it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure