frozen HM roast potatoes

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
100 replies 57.6K views

Replies

• Thanks, that is really helpful x
  • spike7451spike7451 Forumite
    6.9K posts
    JayJay14 wrote: »
    I freeze potatoes for roasting regularly, you can either par boil and toss in some oil and freeze or roast and freeeze (I prefer to freeze them par boiled. The main thing to remember is that you will need to open freeze them on a tray and then bag up or they will freeze together as a lunp which will be just about inpossible to use from frozen.

Always cook from frozen if using par boiled as they will turn to mush if defrosted first.

That's where I've been going wrong then,as I defrosted mine & they went to yuck!
  • Butterfly_BrainButterfly_Brain Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭
    I par boil and gently heat in hot oil or fat in the oven until just colouring, allow to cool, open freeze overnight and bag up. When I want to use them I pop them on a tray (No oil needed and heat through for approx 25 minutes. Lovely and crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
    I have already prepped all my potatoes, parsnips, carrots and brussels for Christmas day, just in case veggies are more expensive/scarce, but it saves time on the day anyway so that is the main reason that I do it.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • JayJay14JayJay14 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have already prepped all my potatoes, parsnips, carrots and brussels for Christmas day, just in case veggies are more expensive/scarce, but it saves time on the day anyway so that is the main reason that I do it.

I always do this - it is my holiday as well so I leave as little to do on the day as possible.
  • Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the input. Didn't manage to do any today as already hit overload with the cooking as did a roast chicken for tea and a massive batch of home made tomato sauce for pasta / pizza etc. Think I will have a go next weekend x
  • zippychickzippychick Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    ive merged this with an older thread which should help

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• melanzanamelanzana Forumite
    4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all.

I was reading the Freezing Potatoes thread with great interest, but am only a few pages in.

The mash frozen and defrosted is brilliant.

HOWEVER... I parboiled some spuds, and half roasted, ie roasted in the oven until just coloured, but when cooled down for the freezer, I noticed most of the spuds were dark, looking like they should be dumped!

But I bagged and froze anyway.

Has anyone come across this? I have a sneaky feeling that they may be ok when roasted from frozen. Just checking if I'm right, as it's first time to do this.

Don't want to kill my guests!

Thanks.
    Mel.
  • Butterfly_BrainButterfly_Brain Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭
    It might be the potatoes that you are using, I have never had mine go dark, it might be an idea to pop one in the oven to try it out
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • melanzanamelanzana Forumite
    4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    It might be the potatoes that you are using, I have never had mine go dark, it might be an idea to pop one in the oven to try it out

Uh, can't remember the variety, but it's the same one I use all the time for fresh roasties.

Great suggestion, doh.... Will throw a few in when the oven is on later.

Brain fog!
  • krlyrkrlyr Forumite
    6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had some potatoes that sometimes go dark but not often enough to notice a link. Something on this link might help
    http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/30/p/362270/4462787.aspx