PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

frozen HM roast potatoes

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi smeeinnit.

The texture and taste doesn't suffer at all. Just make them as you normally would but undercook them slightly before cooling and freezing. Reheat them from frozen (you can add a little extra fat if you want) and they'll taste every bit as good as freshly cooked.

There is more advice on this thread:

frozen HM roast potatoes

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    you can buy frozen roast potatoes in most supermarkets! so its possible isnt it? I like the Aldi ones in goose fat, but I have noticed that they are very pale so must be frozen well before they are actually done! I second doing a dry run and seeing how they turn out!
  • alm71
    alm71 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    When you freeze yorkshire puddings do you defrost them before re-cooking them in the oven. At what temperature and for how long?
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 May 2011 at 6:02PM
    Options
    How do the experts freeze roast potatoes. Do you just par boil, shake some fat onto them & then freeze or actually part roast them first?
    I've par boiled loads but am not sure now the best way to freeze them.
    Thank you

ETA, have finally found a post from someone, sorry can't remember who. They say they par roast, I did think that was the best so will trot on & do that now.
    Boy am I being good today or what?
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi hermum,

I cook them in batches and then freeze. I boil them slightly first, rough them up a bit, then cook them slightly less than I normally would in the oven...until they're just beginning to colour. Then cool them quickly and open freeze on a tray. Once they're frozen I pop them into family portion sized bags.

When I want to use them I take them straight from the freezer and give them 20-25 minutes in a hot oven to crisp them up again. I have tried defrosting them first but I think they're crispier if reheated from frozen.

This thread has more advice:

frozen HM roast potatoes

I'll add your thread to it later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • hermum
    Options
    Thank you, I could not find the thread & I knew there had to be one somewhere.
  • hermum
    Options
    I will say for anyone else coming onto this thread, buy decent potatoes, I usually buy Rooster potatoes. To save a few pence I bought Morrisons savers, they have started to go black as they cooled, so maybe not terribly cost effective. I've bunged them in the freezer though and I'll see what they're like in a few days.
  • SpikyHedgehog
    Options
    Hi lka,

I bulk cook roast potatoes in batches and then freeze them in family sized portions. I cook them less than I normally would...until they're just beginning to colour then cool quickly and freeze. When I want to use them I take them straight from the freezer and give them 20-25 minutes in a hot oven to crisp them up again. I have tried defrosting them first but I think they're crispier if reheated from frozen.

Pink

Thank you Pink :) I know this is an old thread but I'm doing roast potatoes to go with our nut roast for dinner & knew people froze them but wasn't sure how to go about it. (Plus being on the pc for a search gets me out of the hot kitchen!)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • dragonlily
    Options
    Hi, I want to start cooking lots at the weekend when I have time so I can freeze for the week ahead. I already batch cook lots of stuff including cottage pie, HM tomato sauce, beef stew etc.

I was wondering if it is possible to make roast potatoes and potato or sweet potato wedges specifically to freeze? I am guessing it must be possible because you can buy frozen ones in the shops?

Thanks x
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    I freeze potatoes for roasting regularly, you can either par boil and toss in some oil and freeze or roast and freeeze (I prefer to freeze them par boiled. The main thing to remember is that you will need to open freeze them on a tray and then bag up or they will freeze together as a lunp which will be just about inpossible to use from frozen.

Always cook from frozen if using par boiled as they will turn to mush if defrosted first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure