edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
100 replies 57.6K views

Replies

• Amanda65Amanda65 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all

Having only half read a thread on here :o, I parboiled some potatoes the other day (50p per bag for Maris Pipers in Tesco :D) and intended to use them for roasties today but see that others have part roasted them as well before freezing.

If I take them out and cook from frozen just parboiled, will they still be ok do you think :confused:
  • JayJay14JayJay14 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I always just parboil my spuds for roasties and freeze them just like that (though I toss them in some oil before freezing.) They always work fine, in fact I tend to use that method out of choice.

Mine are always fine, so don't worry.
  • Are you going to defrost them before roasting ?
    Defrost (naturally, not in the microwave), shake up in a colander to rough up the outside, coat in oil or melted goose fat and leave for a couple of hours.
    Put in a hot oven for about 50-60 minutes turning at least once.
    That should work Ok.
    I wouldn't part-roast - but that's because I believe that frozen roast potatoes are an abomination.
    Gus.
  • Amanda65Amanda65 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I cooked from frozen and the general consensus of opinion was that they were 'OK' but a bit mushier than usual and not as crispy.

Think I'll have to kee experimenting
  • dawnybabesdawnybabes Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I fully cook them, place them in tin foil trays (ala - take aways) and freeze, just chuck in oven from frozen for 40 mins - never noticed a taste difference.
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • Morning All :)
    I know that I have read on here about making roast pots in advance, freezing and then reheating from frozen. The problem is I can't for the life of me find the post again!
    If some kind soul could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated!
    I would love to be able to do this but can't quite believe that they taste as good as making from scratch and eating straight away ... am very happy to be proved wrong though so thought I would give it a try!!
    Thanks x
  • Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Mrs_Bea,

I do this all the time and it really does work. I've added your post to the main thread on freezing roast potatoes so that you'll be able to find it more easily next time.

Pink
  • Thanks so much - I don't know why I couldn't find this, I spent ages looking!
  • Thinking about preroasting potatoes and freezing them ready for christmas. I have never frozen home made roasties before so can anyone tell me if the texture suffers at all? We like them really crispy and crunchy and would be disappointed if they went all chewy or soggy...any advice appreciated :)
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • wallbashwallbash
    17.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you have still got a couple of weeks ...
    Do your own taste test , why should we do all the work:D

Ps I would never mess about with second hand roast potatoes ... get them right and you can be forgiven with any little mistake in the meal .

PPS Yes we all now know, use a floury potatoes( Marie Piper??) cut potatoes from big spuds . plenty of sharp angles. Par Boil with salt , drain and shake . BUT one thing that is not made very clear , before dropping into VERY VERY hot oil/fat , let them dry a bit . Some go to the trouble of flouring/ semolina but its getting them dry is the important bit.So dont let them sit in a pan steaming with the lid on , spread them out.