New Post Advanced Search

frozen HM roast potatoes

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
100 replies 57.6K views
14567810»

Replies

• melanzanamelanzana Forumite
    4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    meritaten wrote: »
    Post back and let us know mel! we all hate being left in 'suspenders' wondering whether our advice worked!

Of course I will!

Am having a lot of "senior moments" right now, so must put a reminder in google calendar. It is my very best friend at the mo!

If I remember to put it on the calendar!

Cheers.
  • melanzanamelanzana Forumite
    4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, I put my frozen home made roasties in a dish with NO added oil, (todays roast dinner), tossed them around a bit, and there was a HUGE improvement!

Much more crispy alright.

Thanks everyone.
  • PablosmummyPablosmummy Forumite
    378 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    ok I just want to double check this is right before I start.

parboil potatoes
    rough up and toss in oil
    open freeze then bag
    cook from frozen with no extra oil added

also how long do they take to cook on the day?
    I'm trying to be prepared but have this overwhelming fear of ruining dinner!!
    May Grocery Challenge -£216/400
  • cutestkidscutestkids Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I usually parboil the potatoes then start to roast them as normal but take them out about 20 mins before I normally would so that they are starting to crisp but are not too dark in colour, I then open freeze on a baking tray and when solid put them into bags.
    To reheat them put them on a baking tray still frozen with no added oil they have plenty from when they were first cooked and cook for about 20-25 mins at the normal temperature.
    They always come out great.
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
  • PablosmummyPablosmummy Forumite
    378 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    hmm tht would be quicker on christmas day I'll try your way thanks!
    May Grocery Challenge -£216/400
  • Hello all,

Just a quick question regarding making your own frozen roast potatoes. Bought a couple of bags of roosters today for this purpose as they were on offer so would I parboil then freeze or cook them in the oven for a bit and then freeze?

Same goes for parsnips with the view to creating the honey roasted ones you can buy frozen.

Not Buying It! 2015
    Blogger
  • I parboil, cover in the oil and then freeze on a tray and transfer to a bag... when needed I then pop them on a tray frozen and cook.

Not done parsnips, but I think I'd cook them and then freeze on a tray and transfer to a bag. Cook from frozen.

Hope this helps
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • Thanks for replying, I will give this a go :)
    Not Buying It! 2015
    Blogger
  • BigMummaFBigMummaF Forumite
    4.3K posts
    I'm going to give this a go, as I'm spending a lot of time over wiv me muvva these days :o Her appetite is a bit hit & miss & I should really be more aware of my portion control :whistle: & this could be a workable solution to that age-old dilemma of "what's for dinner today?"

Only problem I can see is having the space in the freezer to store & primarily, do the open freeze bit :think:
    I'm sure I'll think of something...

Thanks Peeps :)
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• SailorSamSailorSam Forumite
    22.8K posts
    I've been looking at the potatoes growing out in the garden and thought of doing not just roasties but wedges and mash to fill the freezer.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.