frozen HM roast potatoes - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

frozen HM roast potatoes

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
100 replies 57.6K views

Replies

• jomo70jomo70 Forumite
    102 posts
    I notice that some of you are saying they make stuffing and freeze...is this just HM stuffing or do you make up the dry packet stuff and freeze before putting in the oven?

I'm going to do the roast pots and freeze before hand so I can take them to my mum and dads on xmas day...feel I need to help out in someway! feel a bit guilty just turning up stuffing our faces and then coming home again :)
  • ragz_2ragz_2 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Jomo70, I have just made up stuffing balls and I'm going to bake them until they start to brown, then cool and freeze. Hopefully they will only need 10 minutes in the oven on Christmas day and I will have one less fiddly job to do.
    OH likes his stuffing stodgy and in a big lump but everyone else likes balls so tough luck OH!
    Ragz is busy studying ;)
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • jinnyjinny Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi haven't been on site for a few days but wow plenty of advice given about open freezing xmas veg ect. I like to open freeze on tea trays then pack into bags to pop into oven on the day The question about stuffing, I do balls as well as "sloppy" stuffing I just freeze the soft mixture into a bag and put into a dish with more water when defrosted to cook. I use a cheap packet of stuffing then mix in about 6 slices of bread chopped up or made into crumbs with a chopped onion, black pepper, and dried sage. Then mix in enough hot water to bind. I'm even considering cooking the turkey a few days earlier and slicing it up to freeze also making up gravy and freezing that as well. We do not carve at the table, so that would be a time saver too.
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • jinnyjinny Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    jinny wrote: »
    Hi haven't been on site for a few days but wow plenty of advice given about open freezing xmas veg ect. I like to open freeze on tea trays then pack into bags to pop into oven on the day The question about stuffing, I do balls as well as "sloppy" stuffing I just freeze the soft mixture into a bag and put into a dish with more water when defrosted to cook. I use a cheap packet of stuffing then mix in about 6 slices of bread chopped up or made into crumbs with a chopped onion, black pepper, and dried sage. Then mix in enough hot water to bind. I'm even considering cooking the turkey a few days earlier and slicing it up to freeze also making up gravy and freezing that as well. We do not carve at the table, so that would be a time saver too.
    Forgot to say to fry the onions first before adding to the mix or it will be raw when the stuffing is cooked. My Dad used to add a beaten egg to the mix before cooking it in a loaf tin as this made it sliceable.
    I havent a bean to me name, but I am determined to have a great time this year. Reminds me of when I was bringing up my kids on my own, we just had a merry old time going over the top decorating the house to death and laughing at the cat running up the xmas tree. Thats the kind of things they remember from being little, not what I could'nt buy them. :xmassign:
    As Tiny Tim said God bless us everyone!
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • I saw a thread a few weeks ago and now can't find it.

I'm doing a roast today and thought I could make use of the oven and cook loads of roasties and then freeze them for later on.

I have a couple of q's please

Should I take them out the oven when fully cooked or just before so they go into the freezer slightly undercooked? (I know to let them cool)

How do you heat them up afterwards - do you defrost or do they go straight in the oven?

Is it worth it from a taste point of view - I like mine crispy?

Thanks
    Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.
  • RosyRedRosyRed Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did this for Christmas day and I have loads left in the freezer,found it really useful.I cooked them in the oven as usual,but took them out before they got really golden,just slightly undercooked.Left to cool,then open froze on trays,and bagged up later.Just take out what you need,from frozen pop in a hot oven for 20 mins or so,perhaps a bit longer for you if you like them very crispy.Hope that helps.The other thread was about pre-preparing food for Xmas but I dont know how to do links sorry.HTH
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • Thanks hun!
  • Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Caroline,

I do exactly as RosyRed does. I've added your thread to the original one to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • I went a bit mad and did enough potatoes for 3 extra meals. So smug now!

Thanks for the hints.
  • crawley_girlcrawley_girl Forumite
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a fab thread... I had never ever thought about doing this... makes so much sense...

Thanks guys
    Ever wonder about those people who spend £2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.