We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Electronic Cigarette

Options

Comments

• karmacookie
    karmacookie Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    As an ex rollie smoker, I would agree Erme!
  • Farzackerly
    Options

For years I had friends give up the nasties who ended up within a few months of doing so with bowel problems, heart problems and lung problems and that used to scare me as not one person I knew who had smoked longer than 30 years had good health after giving up, not one but I never thought it would be gum problems with me. I smoked nasties 34 years.
    I've seen similar and I think sometimes it's from the other direction - folk felt so rotten after so many years of smoking that they gave up - but the reason they felt so bad was the smoking-related condition that was affecting their health was already there, in spades.
  • BigDebtBoy
    BigDebtBoy Posts: 282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi guys

I am looking to stop smoking after having a cough for about 6 months think its time to try and quit, as much as I enjoy a smoke with my morning coffee and a beer (not having the beer in the morning with the coffee ;)
    but started looking into either nicorrete inahaler or e-cigs however there is too much for me to take in regarding e-cigs i thought there might be 1 or 2 places selling them not so many so I dont know where to start

smoke golden virginia/amber leaf baccy at moment and looking for the best ones fellow smokers/ex smokers reccomend before I change my mind and just forget about it

cheers
  • karmacookie
    Options
    Hi DeptBoy

good for you thinking about giving up. I'm an ex rollie, amber leaf smoker and after trying various NRT I can't believe how easy it has been to give up using e-cigs.

I've had lots of help and moral support from here

http://allaboute-cigarettes.proboards.com/index.cgi

even if you just want to have a look around the forum there is a list of recommended suppliers and discount codes!

Good luck quitting :)
  • Isaac-the-red
    Options
    Bigdebtboy, there are a lot of e-cigs to choose from, but with the right help (as advised by Karma) it can be so easy & cheap to get started :)

I recently bought a couple of Riva 1100 kits for my next door neighbours plus some e-liquid. Between them hey where smoking 40 a day & they reckon they broke even at about day 6 & still have enough cartomisers & e-liquid to last them another 2 or 3 weeks.
  • Erme
    Erme Posts: 3,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I just checked my E-cig SOW (spreadsheet of wonder)....

Here are the stats :-

Basic supplies since Dec 11 (e-liquid and cartos) = £16 a week

With shiny things (Few new e-cigs.....various DIY things...one replacement e-cig)...£26.23 a week

Now tell me this isn't money saving :money:

For this I have 3 new e-cigs too boot - heap of batteries etc etc. Loads of kit in fact :)

Bearing in mind if I were still smoking I'd have spent about £50 a week on rollies....

You do the maths....that's £900 spent in like 18 weeks :eek:

As it is I'm just short of £500 :)

E
    :dance:
    I believe in the power of PAD
    Come and join us on the Payment a Day thread
    :dance:
  • GotNoMoney
    GotNoMoney Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Lets talk numbers since this is MoneySavingExpert after all.

I worked out I spend £2.41 on Amber Leaf rolling tobacco each day.

It is approx 22 roll ups and you get about 32-35 from a £3.56 packet (12.5g).

Now, with all that info, can anyone here tell me if the e-liquid stuff works out cheaper? Lets assume you have a 20 a day habit and you also smoked Amber Leaf but got an e-cig with liquid in bottles - is it cheaper now?

The sad fact is I won't switch to these until I know it is cheaper. I am not called GotNoMoney for nothing. :p
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    GotNoMoney wrote: »
    Lets talk numbers since this is MoneySavingExpert after all.

I worked out I spend £2.41 on Amber Leaf rolling tobacco each day.

It is approx 22 roll ups and you get about 32-35 from a £3.56 packet (12.5g).

Now, with all that info, can anyone here tell me if the e-liquid stuff works out cheaper? Lets assume you have a 20 a day habit and you also smoked Amber Leaf but got an e-cig with liquid in bottles - is it cheaper now?

The sad fact is I won't switch to these until I know it is cheaper. I am not called GotNoMoney for nothing. :p
    Probably not much cheaper, especially as you have to buy some kit upfront.

I'm surprised you won't quit until you find something cheaper, most people are wanting to quit because of the health benefits.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • karmacookie
    karmacookie Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    Once you have your kit and are happy with it you should be able to vape for around £12 per week, so a slight saving!
  • GotNoMoney
    GotNoMoney Posts: 70 Forumite
    edited 5 April 2012 at 2:22PM
    Options
    Yeah I mean I would forget the initial cost of the hardware, I only want to know what the e-liquid costs are as an ongoing thing each month.

I have seen people say they have 1ml a day and some say 10ml a day. The most common answer is about 2.0ml to 3.5ml per day.

I have seen a bulk bottle of 500ml (36mg) for £59.99

Its normally about £12.99 for 30ml.

So worst case scenario lets say you vape 4ml a day of that stuff (hey, its strong, most people use 24mg stuff) that means 125 days worth and a cost of 48 pence per day. That is if you shelled out £60 for a 500ml bottle. Still only half a litre folks I mean the bottle itself isn't going to be cumbersome but I would leave it in the house at all times.

Now lets work that out if you spend £13 on a 30ml bottle... that means 1 bottle lasts 7.5 days and it would cost you £1.73 a day.

Massive difference there, one is 48p per day and one is £1.73 per day.

Thats £14.88 a month compared to £53.63 a month, all because you got the 500ml in bulk and not the 30ml bottle. When you buy a small bottle like 30ml you're paying for the fact that it had to be packaged in its own little bottle, it seems stupid to keep buying those.

I am here for one reason only - to save money! I know there are health benefits to e-cigs but this isn't a quit smoking forum it is a money saving forum :p

I know there will be health benefits but those are added bonuses.

In theory if you have 4ml a day then its 125ml a month and works out a 500ml bottle would last about 4 months. Roll ups in that time would be costing me £289.20

So the potential saving is £289.20 take away £60.00 = about £230 every 4 months or £57.50 a month!

So to make this simple.... assuming I got the 500ml bottle...

Smoking analogs - £72.30 a month
    Vaping e-liquid - £14.88 a month
    SAVING - £57.42

Vaping would be costing 20.6% of what smoking cost.

Smoking would cost 4.86 times more money.

I think I now know what I need to do and what I need to buy.

I have tried the chewing gum, the lozenges, the inhalers and the patches, all are completely useless for their own reasons but the e-cig always gets comments like "I can't even tell the difference" and that intrigues me enough but to find out its cheaper as well and there are even 500ml bottles BEING SOLD somewhere is a blessing for a money saver.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport