Ideas for ADHD Children?

Comments

• thank you guys you really have no idea how much all this info is going to help.
    we have had a good day today and not spent much money (shame it can't always be like this lol)
    DS has that many appointments which means sitting around hospitals,sometimes,for hours at a time so I have decided to get him a PSP fo xmas the Wii idea went out the window when a fiend said its not much good unless he has someone else to play on it with him and I can't alway do that as I have an awful lot to do in a day.
    My sanity needs something to keep him occupied for as long as poss lol
    Im finding it really hard a tt he mo partly because at the start of the summer hols the local houseing authority decided to update our houses in the first four days I spent my little bit savings on just trying to entertain and feed kids as we were told we had to vacate house in the morning while demo and electrics were being done.
    It is still not finished plus when it is we get no help redecorating so I have that to pay for too and every single room needs redecorating where I am expected to find the money and the time for this I have no idea. And with xmas coming up I don't think it will be poss but heres hoping........fingers crossed guys.
    its good to chat with other parents who have ADHD kids I wish I knew others who have kids with the bowel probs he has as this is really getting me down. I have at least 10 loads of washing day and night and I am so tired at the mo could have done without the half term holiday lol. anyway keep the ideas coming it really does help
    :D
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,892
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My boys sometimes play Wii games on their own.

also, I was in the dental outpatients dept at hospital today with my mum. There was a sign up saying that some patients didn't have to wait there: they could be given a 'bleep', then wander off elsewhere in the hospital and they'd be 'bleeped' when it was their turn. Or hopefully just before their turn, because this was a massive hospital and it would take you 10 minutes to get from one end to the other! :rotfl:

Anyway, I cannot remember the exact wording of this sign, but it seemed to cover patients with ADHD ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • shazrobo
    shazrobo Posts: 3,313 Forumite
    the 2 best things i have ever bought my sons are the ds games console, can be taken anywhere, and great to keep them occupied whilst waiting appointments etc. the other is a portable dvd player for the car, my two will watch favourite films time and time again, brilliant for long car journeys, which used to be a nightmare
    enjoy life, we only get one chance at it:)
  • savvy what a brilliant idea im going to ask his hospital next appointment this would be fantastic.
    shaz I borrowed an in car DVD player last time we had a long trip (caravan hol two years ago) it was brilliant he was so quiet all the way there and back plus it gave him something to do in his room on nasty days I am thinking about getting one when funds allow.
    He had a DS got him one for xmas two years ago it was his fav thing in the world till he lost his temper just a couple of months after that and threw it against the wall and broke the screens. It was going to cost as much to repair as a new one and I said I would not replace it.
    he does that in a temper...throw the things he loves most I can't understand why????
    :eek:
  • shazrobo
    alexcross wrote: »
    savvy what a brilliant idea im going to ask his hospital next appointment this would be fantastic.
    shaz I borrowed an in car DVD player last time we had a long trip (caravan hol two years ago) it was brilliant he was so quiet all the way there and back plus it gave him something to do in his room on nasty days I am thinking about getting one when funds allow.
    He had a DS got him one for xmas two years ago it was his fav thing in the world till he lost his temper just a couple of months after that and threw it against the wall and broke the screens. It was going to cost as much to repair as a new one and I said I would not replace it.
    he does that in a temper...throw the things he loves most I can't understand why????
    :eek:
    mine do that, throw things that mean the most to them when in a temper, think they do it to get a reaction, Sometimes i tried ignoring the bad behaviour and rewarding the good behaviour, but it didnt work, the bad behaviour got worse til they got a reaction. i am a believer in not replacing items too, they learn the hard way if they love something, then they will take better care of it, hopefully
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,892
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    alexcross wrote: »
    savvy what a brilliant idea im going to ask his hospital next appointment this would be fantastic.
    Of course I can't guarantee that all hospitals offer it, it's the first time I've ever seen such a sign, and I've been in a few different hospitals in my time. Maybe the Royal Berks is running a trial, but at least if you ask you'll find out if they DO offer this, and if they don't they might consider it.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • I have heard of the Family fund however three times I have asked them for forms but I am still waiting I know they must be snowed under with requests so I will keep on trying with them.
    I don't really want to go down the Social Services rout (Im a bit old fashioned I suppose).

I understand your concerns around social services, but as a Mental Health Nurse i have worked closely with them and they do wonderful things for families such as yours, and yes they are busy, but so r u. Keep applying get a social worker on your case, they really can be wonderful and it really is'nt anything to be ashamed of
    best wishes to you and family
    Gremlin08
    Baby Due 17th Feb
    Father: Snake666 :o
  • some good advice above! I have lived with my own ADD for years and can't speak for everyone but

- I do enjoy craft stuff, but it needs to be things that are completed in 10 mins rather than hours, as I need instant(ish) results. Completing such things (cards for eg) makes me feel positive and more likely to do it again. When I was little I used to make shopping list notebooks for my mum and nana and they both loved then because I had made them. In later years I have made cards

- TV/DVD - I can now just about sit through a film, so wouldn't expect a child with ADD to hold their attention span for much longer then a 15-30 min child programme, so are there any DVDs you could treat him to that are in an episode form? so he can watch them in spippets? Ditto books. I was always drawn to short stories rather than huge novels, which scared me (still do)

- Otherwise PC games that are in short bursts rather than level upon level

- I really enjoyed baking, but again something that was pretty instant, like rice crispie cakes. I also loved packaging up and giving what I had made to family- the positive re-enforcement made me focus more the next time

(not sure this falls under the remit but)

-one thing that kept me sane-ish was horseriding- the sheer unpredictability and vulnerability of horses kept me occupied for hours- not sure if this is feasible with the physical stuff, but maybe RDA (google it) could offer advive

I can't speak for him, but I have done this a thousand times- and regretted it afterwards- with me it comes from sheer frustration and is very impulse driven. The latest (and something I haven't done in ages) was the other night when my phone charger wouldn't work, so I threw it against the wall. I had had a crap day and it was the last tether. Thankfully, it is only non-living objects I take my frustration on:o

Above all, don't give up!! I now have a PhD and am contemplating doing research into ADHD, which nobody could have contemplated when I was little

I do get sad sometimes for people who can't verbalise how they feel, like children and who get misunderstood, but you sound like a fab, understanding mum. I am no expert, but if you want to chat, please pm me

Mills x
  • shazrobo
    thankyou mills for such a positive post, gives me hope for my sons futures
  • My ds is older (14)and on autistic spectrum, he doesn't really need occupying as such. He saved his Xmas money and pocket money and bought himself a psp, fantastic, he plays games on it, downloads music on it, can use wireless internet on it, converts dvds and uploads them onto console and watches, great for travelling, waiting around, anything.
    It does save him getting anxious and stressed in busy or confined situations.

a cheaper option than a wii could be an eye toy on a playstation, we had some great fun with that when he was younger.

My finances are work in progress.
    Normal veiwing will resume shortly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family