We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

HSBC Changing all Bank accounts

Options

Comments

• ahai1
    ahai1 Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got a phonecall from HSBC trying to flog current account plus at the £6:50 discount. The thing is that I would not get much for £12 a month which adds up to £120 for example I don't have a car and require a breakdown service. They should really check who they are phoning.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    ahai1 wrote: »
    I got a phonecall from HSBC trying to flog current account plus at the £6:50 discount. The thing is that I would not get much for £12 a month which adds up to £120 for example I don't have a car and require a breakdown service. They should really check who they are phoning.

How are HSBC supposed to know that you don't have a car?
  • ahai1
    Options
    Because I ask for large print statemtns.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ahai1 wrote: »
    Because I ask for large print statemtns.

So you're saying that because you have large print statement it means you don't drive? What if you want large print statements to hang up, and not because of your sight? :D
  • ShelfStacker_3
    Options
    Yeah, it'd be kind of a bad assumption that people who need large print statements don't drive. (Many people with very poor eyesight do drive - whether they should be allowed to or not is another discussion entirely.) They couldn't really deduce that you don't have a car just from that alone, and strictly speaking it'd be a tad unfair of them to assume that you don't.

Whether I'm keen on scattershot telemarketing for something that has a 12 month contract is another matter. ;)
  • ahai1
    Options
    People who can't see well enough to drive and get breakdown are a bad risk.
  • ahai1
    Options
    I got 8 pence interest today.
  • SimonM_2
    SimonM_2 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I got paid Credit Interest today, and phoned up to query it. The person told me my account type doesn't pay interest, so wouldn't have had any, but, err, has. Apparently they'd not seen other cases of it, but if you've been paid interest too, I wonder how many others have?

Change of policy? Or maybe HSBC have realised that they brought the changes in and breached the contract, as I pointed out to them, and they are STILL trying to sort (but have gone very quiet - no contact from HSBC for weeks...)

Of course, I've moved my banking elsewhere so it's no big issue for me any more.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You still would have accured interest upto the date they changed the interest rate to 0%, it just hadn't been paid yet.
  • SimonM_2
    SimonM_2 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    You still would have accured interest upto the date they changed the interest rate to 0%, it just hadn't been paid yet.

The account changeover happened December 1st, and the account pays (paid) interest monthly. I'm also sure that the interest up to Nov 30th was paid correctly on Dec 3rd.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport