Digital TV Cost Cutting Article - Discuss What You've Been Offered

edited 27 January 2011 at 2:07PM in TV MoneySaving
4.2K replies 1M views

Replies

• phoned to downgrade my package yesterday, now have to pay an extra tenner for the sky plus box- they're ever so cheeky!

but all in all saving 15 a month cause dont watch sport or movies much.
    and thanks to saynoto0870.com for the number
  • dcdc Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    UKFSR,

I think £37.99 for broadband is excessive. Do you really need the speed you must be paying for, I am with NTL and pay £9.99 for Broadband 1 meg. I know this offer has finished, but arent they still offering Broadband, Phone and TV for £30 ( to new sign-ups), you might get that by threatening to go to Sky.
    ac's lovechild
  • It does sound a lot, in fact it is, even though its a 3MB package. I guess I dont really need it and my intention was to drop to the £32.99 package which was for 2MB as the speed decrease will not make a great difference to my use. On top of that I was then going to go with Sky for the TV but decided to ring NTL.

Now I am not very good at bartering as perhaps many others but I did manage to get my BB halved for 3 months and my TV dropped from £30 a month to £20 for 6 months so managed to make a saving of £116 for the next 6 months.

I think I will re assess it after Xmas but I do hear a lot of disgruntled Sky users moving from Sky as opposed to the other way round :rolleyes:
    No Links in signatures by Site rules - Forum Team 2
  • I recently cancelled my Sky package to go to Freesat and I did purchase a card at £20! Now I found out from a previous post that I did not need one but could carry on using my existing Sky card

To double check if i actually needed one I thought I would just ring and make sure that they weren't making money from my ignorance.

The very helpful man told me that the official line from Sky is that the old Sky card runs out after a few weeks. I asked him what I should do if my card carries on working (because I know people who have been using their Sky card for years) and he said that if it did carry on working I can return my Freesat card at any time for a full refund and should the Sky card pack in at any point I could ring them again to order one.

He did admit that they recommend you buy the Freesat card as a 'backup card'. Interesting.
  • I was on NTL 2Mb broadband £25.99 per month plus Telephone £10.50 per month line rental (plus about £9 month calls)

I have just rang (disconnections are only available 9-5 mon-fri !!) and told them that I was looking to cancel both services as I could get the same 2Mb broadband from Tiscalli for £17.99 for which I need a BT line, 1st offer out of the bag was free telephone line rental for 12 months.

ummed and ahred, offered up free early adopter upgrade to 10mb broadband in January, suggested that phone calls were still too expensive (I dropped in the fact that their web site mentions their connection charges are increasing on 1st Jan) he then spoke to his manager and offered up 1/2 price broadband for 3 months.

Total savings: £165 :j :j :j

I'm now Off home to call SKY, and following a conversation with a pal who really did want to cancel, the offer got down to free SKY+ and Family pack for 5p a month. So if I dont get SKY+ with my 12 month subscription requirements for under £100 without multi room I will really cancel !!!!! (and apply for a new customer offer in the OH's name in the new Year :D )
  • Burlesque_BabeBurlesque_Babe Forumite
    17.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'v had three little savings/incentives in the last few weeks.

Last month I called and asked about downgrading to the base pack and was told I could keep the Family Pack with a one month discount of £8.50. Excellent! :j

At the same time I cancelled my broadband temporarily (£17.99 a month) as was buying a new PC and didn't see the point in paying for something I wasn't using.

Phoned last week to re-instate it and played dumb - 'what are your broadband prices, as lots of companies are offering it cheaper than £17.99?'....she said the only offer was £9.99 a month for students. I said I was registered for an OU degree (true!) and she said 'oh, that'll do, how does £9.99 a month for the next 12 months sound?' Excellent again! :j :j

Phoned day before yesterday - I was genuinely impressed by the Sky pick n mix style package now offered with the 3 months half price etc etc. I asked (again playing dumb) if I was 'missing out' on any channels as Sky had fantastic prices and loads more free to air channels. He went through a load of blurb 'oh, but we offer 92% of what Sky do and we filter out all the 'bad TV', so you only get the quality channels' (yeah right!!), I kept saying though that the Sky deal was so much better, and first he said he could price match it, but when I said 'I can even add in the Sports with the package and it's cheaper' and he said 'well what about having the Sports Channels for 50p a month for the next 12 months??' I wanted money off really , but didn't want to be that blatant!!! ;)

Ah well, the OH was ecstatic when I told him.......... :rolleyes:
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • I'm now Off home to call SKY, and following a conversation with a pal who really did want to cancel, the offer got down to free SKY+ and Family pack for 5p a month. So if I dont get SKY+ with my 12 month subscription requirements for under £100 without multi room I will really cancel !!!!! (and apply for a new customer offer in the OH's name in the new Year :D )

Best they could come up with was SKY+ (without Multi room) £65 no movement on Monthly subscription - tried to get me to sign up for HDTV and broadband services which don't exist yet :confused:

So as promissed, I really did quit !!!

Shame, if they could have just squeezed a bit that could have been my xmas pressie from the OH :D

Will wait and see how we get on without it (probably won't even notice !!)
  • raebleraeble Forumite
    911 Posts
    Wait a month or two then phone up and say that you've received an offer in the post for three months half price - some lucky people have recieved this offer with a £40 argos giftcard. I've just had the three months half price.
  • fergeefergee Forumite
    86 Posts
    I recently phoned up to cancel like everyone else, but I really wanted sky+ and sky multiroom. I enede up paying £49 for the installation but I have got a discount of 25% for a full 12 months (works out at about £10.65 a month). I also did the same for my mother and she was chuffed to bits.
    :coffee:
  • dunno if this has been posted before (10 pages, too much to read!)

If you work for HBOS then you can get sky £21 package free for 1yr, i work for RBOS & heard of a £5/month deal so rang them (i really cant remember the number) & they couldnt find it (it may not have even existed!) so gave it me free for a year. They took my employee ID so no scamming them i'm afraid!

I'll try & find the number for you but it IS available maybe try ringing the normal line & seeing if they can put you through to he folks who do the cheap corporate deals.

Watch this space bank employees!
    W00t!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides