Digital TV Cost Cutting Article - Discuss What You've Been Offered

edited 27 January 2011 at 2:07PM in TV MoneySaving
4.2K replies 1M views

Replies

• I have ended up with 25% off for 12 months and 2 sky+ boxes at 49 quid each with free installation!

yes we have to pay a tenner a month for multi room, but the discount more than covers that
  • We are not in a freeview area so we signed up for Freesat(one off payment of £150 and you get 200 channels inc digital radio). Sky phoned and offered me a package with no sports or films for £5 per month. All we wanted was National Geographic and Discovery. Unbeknown to us Sky switched us on to the full package and we had a bill for £42.50 per month. After several long phone calls at great cost they said that we could have it for £21.75. I asked if they had heard of this package and was told that they had had one or two calls about this. ANyway to cut a long story short they said they would adjust it to £5 per month but I have had a letter today (I have a letter from them every day) and it was headed ALL SORTED and they are charging me £21.50 per monthfor no sports or films. I feel exasperated. I asked why I had to wait for 45 minutes before speaking to someone and she said "What time do you get up?" I said 7a.m. She said "Ring then". I did and got through straight away although I unfortunately got someone who was long overdue for a customer care course.
  • scoobiescoobie Forumite
    272 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    windywendy wrote:
    We are not in a freeview area so we signed up for Freesat(one off payment of £150 and you get 200 channels inc digital radio). Sky phoned and offered me a package with no sports or films for £5 per month. All we wanted was National Geographic and Discovery. Unbeknown to us Sky switched us on to the full package and we had a bill for £42.50 per month. After several long phone calls at great cost they said that we could have it for £21.75. I asked if they had heard of this package and was told that they had had one or two calls about this. ANyway to cut a long story short they said they would adjust it to £5 per month but I have had a letter today (I have a letter from them every day) and it was headed ALL SORTED and they are charging me £21.50 per monthfor no sports or films. I feel exasperated. I asked why I had to wait for 45 minutes before speaking to someone and she said "What time do you get up?" I said 7a.m. She said "Ring then". I did and got through straight away although I unfortunately got someone who was long overdue for a customer care course.

I'd suggest forgot the phone calls, write or email them (their email address has been posted on one of these forums, do a search for it), say you've posted this on the web (send them this url !) and threaten them with small claims action.
    Are you paying by credit card? - if so threaten them with reporting them to the credit card company.
    Ask for a full refund, every penny. Sky can be very difficult to deal with when it comes to getting money back from them. this is outright theft if what you say is true. Let us know how you get on.
  • gatra_2gatra_2 Forumite
    140 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    So binxy did you try that and how did it go?
    Chocolate is the solution to all life's problems. Life happens, also coffee helps.
  • I gave it a go as i didn't think i was getting good value, i said all the new customers are getting the good deals, sky+ etc and i wasn't happy. I told them i wanted to cancel because of this, all he would offer me was sky+ for £65 & free install, no 3 months half price so i kept pushing & said i would cancel but he wasn't going to give me anything else, so no more sky for me after December 29th. So i'm better off by £36 a month. Got to be the best deal so far :rotfl:
  • Hi All,

I had not considered reducing sky untill I read this, Spent the last two weeks working out just what channels we watch, I currently pay £36 a month, the only channels we dont subscribe to are sport.
    But I have worked out, we dont use any of the film channels, Its mainly BBC, ITV, Sky 1, and the Documentry channels, that is it, so this weekend I will be making a phone call to reduce package, let you all know how I get on.

Great site Martin, Look forward to your next appearance on Radio 2.

VonBek.
    Current Debt £30,248 :o
    Debt Free by Aug 2009 :beer:
    Original Debt Free Date Sep 2013
  • wilf55wilf55 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    i also found they wont budge on multiroom

complain about how much phone call cost you also they are mad busy you have been on the phone 30 mins swapped form one dept to another

£15 credit to bill!!!!!
    Save 12k in 2015 member 187. £62.50/6000
  • jamiesdjamiesd Forumite
    139 Posts
    I managed to get 3 months half price after threatening to pack in Sky.

I'll try again once the 3 months are up.
  • UKFSRUKFSR Forumite
    3 Posts
    Mmm, I am currently with NTL and pay £37.99 for my BB, £30 for the TV package, which is just the family Pack, plus the £7.50 for an extra line. My main Phone line is free. However I am still paying £80 a month for TV, Phone and BB.

I have just been looking at Sky with the intention of moving to them and taking their full package of Sky +. However I am now very confused at what I should do in respect of saving a few quid and getting a better service.

I did intend staying with NTL for my BB and Phone although £37.99 for thr BB, 10.50 for the Phone and £7.50 for the extra line still works out expensive.

I was thinking of swithching to Sky for my TV and moving to the Phone/BB package of £32.99 with NTL.

Its all very confusing, please help.
    No Links in signatures by Site rules - Forum Team 2
  • raebleraeble Forumite
    911 Posts
    UKFSR wrote:
    Mmm, I am currently with NTL and pay £37.99 for my BB, £30 for the TV package, which is just the family Pack, plus the £7.50 for an extra line. My main Phone line is free. However I am still paying £80 a month for TV, Phone and BB.

I have just been looking at Sky with the intention of moving to them and taking their full package of Sky +. However I am now very confused at what I should do in respect of saving a few quid and getting a better service.

I did intend staying with NTL for my BB and Phone although £37.99 for thr BB, 10.50 for the Phone and £7.50 for the extra line still works out expensive.

I was thinking of swithching to Sky for my TV and moving to the Phone/BB package of £32.99 with NTL.

Its all very confusing, please help.

The equivalent $ky package to the one you've got is the Entertainment Pack as it was called that is about £22 per month - that gives you all six mixes. If you switch to $ky plus on the full package then you would be paying top wack for a year until you were out of contract then you could negotiate with $ky to get a discount - three months half price etc. If you changed down your package you might be required to pay £10 per month.
    What speed is your broadband? It seems very expensive for broadband.
    If you move to the phone broadband package you are talking about and took the $ky Entertainment package - you can always upgrade later, it would work out at about £45 a month in tota a saving of £35. If you want $ky plus on entertainment package you have to pay an extra £10 per month or get two premium channels.

Have you tried phoning NTL to tell them that you are going to move your tv to $ky and changing phone bb packages because you are finding it too expensive? They might offer you a discount.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion