Digital TV Cost Cutting Article - Discuss What You've Been Offered

edited 27 January 2011 at 1:07PM in TV MoneySaving
4.2K replies 1M views
1416417418419420422»

Replies

• smiggerssmiggers Forumite
    119 Posts
    I am an existing Sky subscriber with Sports & HD (£54 per month) & phoned to cancel. Eventully got offered the 25% off deal if I commit for 12 months which I decided to accept as it brings the price down to approx £44 (I decided to keep the HD which they wouldn't discount by 25% though I can cancel this at any time.) None of the freephone numbers worked for me. First deal that I have had off Sky for some time so quite happy. Everybody knocks Sky but for £1.30 a day it still is good value in my book.
  • Hello! I am ringing Virgin today to cancel my phoneline. OH wants to keep the TV and I use the net. I am on large broadband and large TV.
    We have an old Samsung set top box. No high definition TV (just an old banger)
    Is it worth asking for a new V+ box? I've never had one before. Is it like a Sky box, with series reminders on the TV guide. That is the one thing that annoys me with the Virgin box. You can't set a series reminder. Do you have to pay if you don't need HD?
    Thanks for any help. I want to know the ins and outs before I ring them
  • cptncanarycptncanary Forumite
    191 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    jonty1970 wrote: »
    Hello! I am ringing Virgin today to cancel my phoneline. OH wants to keep the TV and I use the net. I am on large broadband and large TV.
    We have an old Samsung set top box. No high definition TV (just an old banger)
    Is it worth asking for a new V+ box? I've never had one before. Is it like a Sky box, with series reminders on the TV guide. That is the one thing that annoys me with the Virgin box. You can't set a series reminder. Do you have to pay if you don't need HD?
    Thanks for any help. I want to know the ins and outs before I ring them
    The Virgin V+ box allows you to record an entire series, but I'm not sure if that is what you meant by series reminder? Don't forget that the V+ box is a recording device, not just a viewer.
    C'mon you Canaries!!
  • ryantcbryantcb Forumite
    273 Posts
    Virgin are releasing TiVO soon which will blow sky+ out of the water.
    All sports are available free to watch online just go to myp2p.eu
    There are other ways o get free cable just google digital kaos
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • cptncanary wrote: »
    The Virgin V+ box allows you to record an entire series, but I'm not sure if that is what you meant by series reminder? Don't forget that the V+ box is a recording device, not just a viewer.

Hello. What I mean is, on my Samsung old box now, I can only set a reminder for that days TV. So I miss some episodes of a series or, if I see something that I want to watch a couple of days away, I can't set a reminder, like you can with a Sky box, so I wondered if the V+ box can set a reminder for a fews days away or for a full series. So it turns the channel over for me so I don't miss it.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apart from Sky+ having it, that facility is standard on Freeview PVRs these days (even my 3 year-old one has it) - so Virgin would be mad not to specify the same.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Thank you. I'll ring later and see what/if they offer me one to stay with them.

I'm cutting off the phone line as I can't afford it. I'll stick to my mobile and Skype, but keep the broadband and M+ TV
  • rpiprpip Forumite
    28 Posts
    10 Posts
    AVOID SKY LIKE THE PLAGUE. See www helpforum.Sky. Com/t5/using-sky-com-sky-online and search for "disgraceful-service" . You cant make this up
  • jammin_2jammin_2 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    rpip wrote: »
    AVOID SKY LIKE THE PLAGUE. See www helpforum.Sky. Com/t5/using-sky-com-sky-online and search for "disgraceful-service" . You cant make this up

You mean this thread?

Sorry, TLTR.
  • Former_MSE_ArchnaFormer_MSE_Archna Former MSE
    1.9K Posts
    MSE Staff
    THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED. PLEASE POST SUCCESSES IN THE NEW THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin's debt costs masterclass

Eg, balance transfer up to 35 mths at 0%

MSE News

£80 GHD Original IV Styler