Digital TV Cost Cutting Article - Discuss What You've Been Offered

Options

Comments

• phoebe03cat
    Options
    Presently with telewest supreme package £15-50p month Equivalent to 6 mix sky at £21p month (although few xtra channels I think). Sky have offered 2 free months changeover plus movies over christmasplus free installation etc.

Fully expected to find sky cheaper but am surprised. Want to ring up telewest and threaten to leave for some additional goodies (we would if it was worthwhile)
    Am I missing something? Why is everyone with sky not telewest if they can get it? Or is the interactive THAT good compared with telewests teleport?

We are not sports watchers or movie watchers other than Christmas. Martin's freeview though not offering enough.

I suppose logic dictates sticking with telewest - am now at a loss as to why I can threaten to leave...What am I missing????
  • owey
    owey Posts: 832 Forumite
    Options
    Presently with telewest supreme package £15-50p month Equivalent to 6 mix sky at £21p month (although few xtra channels I think). Sky have offered 2 free months changeover plus movies over christmasplus free installation etc.

Fully expected to find sky cheaper but am surprised. Want to ring up telewest and threaten to leave for some additional goodies (we would if it was worthwhile)
    Am I missing something? Why is everyone with sky not telewest if they can get it? Or is the interactive THAT good compared with telewests teleport?

We are not sports watchers or movie watchers other than Christmas. Martin's freeview though not offering enough.

I suppose logic dictates sticking with telewest - am now at a loss as to why I can threaten to leave...What am I missing????

I would threaten to leave, I have just changed from Sky to Telewest and got 3 months free and 3 months half price on there supreme package, and I didn't even try, and he said when the new box comes out with the hard drive he said he would send one out at no cost, but I will wait and see on that one. I did already use them for the internet though.
    Even if they let you go you can just ring them back 5 mins later, and say you changed your mine.
    If the weather is going to be as bad as they say?, I think you might have some problems with pic/quality on Sky over Christmas as well. Also they don't have a free phone to ring them up, and you seem to "press 1 for this and 2 for that" so many times before you talk to someone that can help you.
    I have had both services and for the money and with the new Teleport service out I would stay and save your money, and badger Telewest right now :D .
  • Binxy
    Binxy Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    Binxy wrote:
    Can anyone please explain to me where I stand with Sky?

We have been Sky customers for around 5 years and a couple of months ago upgraded to Sky+, with multiroom. It has never worked properly (although according to the engineer if it doesn't do it while he's there it technically isn't faulty :mad: )

I'm under no illusion that I'm tied in with them, and I don't seriously think they'll make any allowance for the fact that is has never worked, what I want to know is - is the box mine, or is that only after the first 12 months? Can I cancel the Sky+ and go back to "normal" Sky? We're paying £46 a month (£552 per year :eek: ) for channels we don't watch (otherwise it'd be an extra tenner because of no premium channels) a multiroom that isn't being used and a Sky+ system that doesn't do anything that Sky+ should do.

Any advice appreciated :confused:

Anybody???????????

Please?????????????????
  • phoebe03cat
    Options
    owey wrote:
    I would threaten to leave, I have just changed from Sky to Telewest and got 3 months free and 3 months half price on there supreme package, and I didn't even try, and he said when the new box comes out with the hard drive he said he would send one out at no cost, but I will wait and see on that one. I did already use them for the internet though.
    Even if they let you go you can just ring them back 5 mins later, and say you changed your mine.
    If the weather is going to be as bad as they say?, I think you might have some problems with pic/quality on Sky over Christmas as well. Also they don't have a free phone to ring them up, and you seem to "press 1 for this and 2 for that" so many times before you talk to someone that can help you.
    I have had both services and for the money and with the new Teleport service out I would stay and save your money, and badger Telewest right now :D .
    Thank you for that : made the phone call! Offered me x2 xtra set top boxes at £9.50 p month - boxes free. 3 months half price movies 1&2-would have offered sports too but we don't use it at all. That's great will take us over Christmas.Supreme package to continue at half price for full 12 months. Top package for £7.50, couldn't resist that! Wiaver of £75 installation charge for new boxes. Also got call minder free plus 50p off line rental - to get rid of me I think! May yet go to BT though for phone though. Haven't worked out the saving yet or comparison with sky but know it's going to be huge. Let it snow.....let it snow..... :T Thanks Martin and Owey :j
  • phoebe03cat
    Options
    PS Owey-wot hard box?
  • Scrumshie
    Options
    Binxy

Until recently I worked in the sky cancellations department. Shh ! Dont tell anyone.!
    You will have taken out a new contract with your sky+ so you do have a 12 month contract, but I believe that you will now own the sky+ box as you paid a fee for it.
    You can downgrade to "normal sky" at any time, because sky can switch off your sky+ facilities, and then you can move to a cheaper package if you wish too.

However, if you phone to cancel your entire package stating the exact reason why you are so unhappy, the cancellations department should be able to offer you another sky+ box FOC with engineer visit.

What is happening to your sky+?
    Have you visited DIGITAL SPY SKY+ Forum? There are loads of friendly people there who may be able to help. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/
  • owey
    owey Posts: 832 Forumite
    Options
    PS Owey-wot hard box?
    They are bringing out a new cable box with a hard drive in the new year, just like the Sky+ box, not sure how big the hard drive will be. With Sky there is a £10 monthly charge for the Sky+ box if you are on one of the cheaper packages.
    Glad you got a good deal as well, I think I should of held out a bit more when I phoned up, but still paying alot less than I was with Sky.
  • wilf55
    wilf55 Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    Options
    any one had any good deals for adding multiroom to a sky plus package which i have had for 12 months on the full package

thanks in advance
    Save 12k in 2015 member 187. £62.50/6000
  • Vyas
    Vyas Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Been a Sky subscriber for 2.5 years, and been using Sky+ for about 2 years. I've been worried about the cost (£36/month) lately, and after reading this topic, I decided to try my luck. They checked my record, and said that I've been a good customer and don't really want to lose me. offered $18/month for 3 months. Happy with that for now, but will press for discount again after 3 months.
  • Binxy
    Binxy Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    Scrumshie wrote:
    However, if you phone to cancel your entire package stating the exact reason why you are so unhappy, the cancellations department should be able to offer you another sky+ box FOC with engineer visit.

What is happening to your sky+?

Thanks Scrumshie - but we're already on the 2nd box. It does lots of things:

If you pause live telly and try and play back - it won't play and hasn't actually recorded anything.
    Fails to record set programs at random.
    Records, then that program vanishes.
    Records but refuses to play back.
    Freezes at random.

And lots of other things too. The engineer reckons someone is using a walkie talkie and it's interfering with one or both signals (sounds a bit weird to me though) He also says if it doesn't 9and of course it doesn't) happen while he's there, he can't do anything.

I've just had enough basically.

*ADDED*

Just spent ages on the phone to find out we are tied in till July - at £46 a month - no way to get out of it whatsoever. Effing bloody marvelous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure