Digital TV Cost Cutting Article - Discuss What You've Been Offered

edited 27 January 2011 at 1:07PM in TV MoneySaving
4.2K replies 1M views

Replies

• Cor - that was a good call then. I'm a bit confused with ntl and telewest. Are they the same thing? As far as I know we are still with telewest. I have phone, computer and tv. When I rang yesterday as I'm possibly going back to BT with onetel was told I don't get any allowance for having the threesome package. Has anyone had any experience with pushing telewest down? :beer:

Hello Phoebe

its unfortunately the case that you cannot choose between telewest & NTL...you will find that only one of them service your address. If you go to the NTL website at http://www.ntl.co.uk/ and put your postcode in then you will find that they tell you that they cannot supply you and will point you to Telewest (who's site is at https://www.telewest.co.uk)

Its this lack of choice (as far as cable is concerned) that frustrates me and is surely bad for competition.

Good Hunting
  • Its a 40 minute wait on the 08702404040 number and I can't get any of the saynoto0870's to work. How did you all do it and did you have a long wait??
  • raebleraeble Forumite
    911 Posts
    j8mesh wrote:
    For existing Sky users to "upgrade" to Freesat, you only need pay £20

Additionally for Sky Plus users you can keep your sky plus subscription too!

Confirm this from a posting on the Digital spy web site:

"yes, you can have a sky plus sub without a channel package. After 2 hours of being passed from one department to another they finally admitted that you can have the sky plus sub by itself even if you have just downgraded your channel package from sky world to freesat. So there ya go, it shows that perseverance does pay off in the end
    Lynzi.xx"
    Yes but if you downgrade your package to nothing, cancel your sky subs then your card becomes a freesat card anway. So why would you pay another £20 to upgrade to something you've already got?
  • raebleraeble Forumite
    911 Posts
    shaver wrote:
    Hi,
    So, the question is, if I cancel my Sky subscription completely, what will I still be able to view through the satellite box? Or does the box belong to them and they come get it?
    Probably daft questions, but would appreciate any comments
    If you have finished your years subscription then the box belongs to you. Once you cancel your subscription and they will try and stop you with half price deals, your card becomes a freesat card and you can access the free to view channels like channel 4 and Five that require a viewing card. Everything else that is free to air (beeb, various shopping channels, horror channel, true movies etc) you will be able to see even if you take out your viewing card. HTH.
  • page_epage_e Forumite
    141 Posts
    savings4me wrote:
    Its a 40 minute wait on the 08702404040 number and I can't get any of the saynoto0870's to work. How did you all do it and did you have a long wait??

I would also like to know this as i can't get through :mad:
    Dept free with savings (At last)
    comp wins
    Catherine Townsend book, DVD, Gel pen, 5* holiday to Dubai :)
  • thelofttheloft Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    This is all very interesting, but if like me, your household are avid sports fans, then you have no choice but to stump up £49 quid a month! Sky have almost all the footie, all the cricket, rugby, r.league etc. If anyone knows a way around this I would be pleased to hear it. Will be trying the cancellation route though, but have a couple of friends who tried this and Sky immediately accepted the cancellation! They keep coming round here now !! By the way, the free sky through your TV is streaming of Sky channels via the internet, but you get a picture on Windows Media Player or similar, not suitable for the whole family to watch !!
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • bugbodbugbod Forumite
    118 Posts
    page_e wrote:
    I would also like to know this as i can't get through :mad:
    0800 2792000 Option 1 I think. If I remember rightly, I got through to the wrong person. but got transferred.
  • thanks but saying not recognised
  • TonyBTonyB Forumite
    172 Posts
    theloft wrote:
    This is all very interesting, but if like me, your household are avid sports fans, then you have no choice but to stump up £49 quid a month! . If anyone knows a way around this I would be pleased to hear it. Will be trying the cancellation route though, but have a couple of friends who tried this and Sky immediately accepted the cancellation! They keep coming round here now !! QUOTE]IF THEY BRING THE BOOZE THEN SURELY THAT'S A GOOD DEAL!!!!!

My local pub has somehow got onto a satellite setup from some "Arab" country but the commentary is usually in French or German. However if it's FREE it might not be a bad idea.

If you are seriously interested then PM me & I will see if Ginger Winger will give me details.

TonyB
  • bugbodbugbod Forumite
    118 Posts
    savings4me wrote:
    thanks but saying not recognised
    They must have disabled it - too many people using it!

01506 484000 - Just tried it. Answered instantly by a person, not a machine.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin's debt costs masterclass

Eg, balance transfer up to 35 mths at 0%

MSE News

£80 GHD Original IV Styler

Via MSE Blagged code (norm £109)

MSE Deals