PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Wheat /gluten free bread recipe??

Options

Comments

• heaven_scent
    Options
    Your best bet for finding seville oranges is an old-fashioned green-grocer; I find they're best for all vegetables actually. Sevilles 58p per lb. today (Butlers, Leigh on sea).
    Thanks thriftlady for the boozy tips- and I thought I was only making jams!
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Skintmama wrote:
    Provided it was not overboiled in the first place runny marmalade can go back in the pan to boil onto a better set.......

OK, naive question time ... how do I know if it was overboiled or not?

We opened the first jar this morning, and it was fairly runny, but not too bad ... can't have been TOO bad, as half a jar disappeared between myself, DH and DD (aged 2) ....

So, now it's time to beg / borrow some more jars to try again tomorrow as I bought two bags of oranges from Morrisons .... :)
    GC - March 2024 -
  • Skintmama
    Skintmama Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    If the marmalade was boiled too long and therefore reached a temperature beyond that needed to set, it will never set whatever you do! It would look rather dark and the flavour would not be fresh and fruity. Sounds as though yours is fine though.
    I have only once gone to the trouble of putting it back and reboiling and that was just because I wanted it to store through the year. In all my marmalade making years I have only got the set wrong twice and the time I did not do the reboiling we still ate it all up! A personal if strange use for it was to warm it and pour it over HM icecream, I thought it was heavenly!
    Six jars will go quite fast so I would use those up first and try to get a more definite set with your next lot as they will store better.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Zed,if you store your marmalade in the fridge that will firm it up a bit ;)
  • jenk_3
    jenk_3 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    OK Ive caught the OS bug from you guys so youre just going to have to put up with my multiple silly questions :o

How easy is it to make jam and marmalade? Which is the easiest for a newbie? And can you give me tips, pointers and recipes please - yes I know, I dont ask alot LOL.

Is it really a good way of saving money?

My Dad used to make a lot of damson jam........ohhhhh how yummy was that Im drueling LOL

Thanks

Emma
    :j Trying To Hitch A Lift To Skinnyville :j

Declutter Challenge - 2019 in 2019. 0/2019
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a current thread called Seville Orange Marmalade that will help you out with one part of your quest... and the threads below will help you out with jam...

Collected in the Cooking section of the MEGA Index sticky at the top of Old Style we have:-

[post=686627] - Cherry jam[/post]
    [post=698461] - Fruit bottling with pressure cooker and jam jars[/post]
    [post=668991] - Help with jam making please?[/post]
    [post=530482] - Is making jam easy?[/post]
    [post=46854] - Kilner Jars[/post]
    [post=49521] - Make jam in your breadmaker[/post]
    [post=394411] - Making jams[/post]
    [post=696771] - Rhubarb[/post]
    [post=711849] - Should I sieve my jam?[/post]
    [post=620118] - Sterilising jars and bottles?[/post]
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not strictly marmalade as such, but am interested in new jam flavours (since the bm seems up to these kind of exploits!) and wondered what flavours had been tried, and what hadnt. I have two kiwi's in the fridge and am eyeing them up as a potential jam prospect, or am I crazy?? Im already going to try Apricot at the weekend, as I really love those apricot danish things and could use it to make my own.

Do we need a separate jam thread?

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have lots of jam threads. Look in the Cooking section of the MEGA Index under "jams and preserves" and then if you have any questions left you can ask in the most appropriate thread :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • jomary85
    jomary85 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Just done some boil the fruit whole method as usual- takes 1 -1.5 hours, I pierce the fruit. Good strong flavour. Also include a few left over grapefruit or orange skins from recent use (keep frozen) to add bulk ( no need to include in weight calculation) I mince the fruit, also boil pips in half pint of the water allowance and strain .If you put a little of the sugar at the bottom of the pan before adding the prepared fruit and heat up gently stirring before you add the rest of the sugar it will prevent the pan burning- i transferred this idea form custard making.
    For a similar flavour in the summer when all the Seville has gone use this combination One large red (or pink if not available) grapefruit, 2 medium lemons, one large orange total weight just under 2 lb . Use 1kg bag Granulated sugar and 2 pints water. If slow to set add teaspoon citirc acid.
    Granulated sugar works OK no need for expensive preserving sugar but try to get CANE sugat T & L rather than beet sugar (SIiver S)
  • Alfietinker
    Options
    jomary85 wrote:
    Granulated sugar works OK no need for expensive preserving sugar but try to get CANE sugat T & L rather than beet sugar (SIiver S)

I've only ever used granulated sugar anyway (get it free from my grandad who used to work at T&L - he's still got loads left :D ). Just curious - why not beet sugar?
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport