New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Sky subscription "credit crunch" offer

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in It's Gone, but was it any good?
580 replies 223.9K views

Replies

• Cifpower,
    Thanks for the info, I didn't realise that. So if I don't pay the £20 I automatically get the channels on the list at the link you posted? What is the difference between freesat and this, is it just the channels you get? Sorry, I don't really understand as I didn't know there were 2 different types.
  • willis wrote: »
    Cifpower,
    Thanks for the info, I didn't realise that. So if I don't pay the £20 I automatically get the channels on the list at the link you posted? What is the difference between freesat and this, is it just the channels you get? Sorry, I don't really understand as I didn't know there were 2 different types.

Freesat is a service run by BBC/ITV where you can buy a receiver from Comet or Argos or such like. Freesat from Sky is Sky's own service and you buy the box and get it installed from them. The channel list is different.

• Thanks for explaining it, it's confusing that they both have the same name. Would I be able to get BBC freesat (there's a particular channel I'm after that the BBC one does have, but Sky doesn't) and use my Sky+ box as well?
    And which is the one I get if I do pay the £20 for a card, and which is the one I get if I pay nothing but just carry on using the card? Or have I got this wrong?

Thanks so much
  • i phoned today for sky plus and multi room they offered me it for £39 per month with £60 installation i said my mate got it for £45 and £32 per month (he did) they wouldn't budge so i hung up, i later called back and said ok i'll have that deal the sales said no i had to pay £75 plus £60 installation total £135 one off payment and £32 per month ( i have family package at the mo). i said i wanted to cancel and i canceled, no offers made to me, been with sky for 6 years and they wouldnt offer me any discount, i've spat my dummy. they even said sales would phoone me tomorrow i said no i'll cancel, i was talking to sales!!!! no deal offered. thats how sky deal with loyal customers!!!
  • willis wrote: »
    Thanks for explaining it, it's confusing that they both have the same name. Would I be able to get BBC freesat (there's a particular channel I'm after that the BBC one does have, but Sky doesn't) and use my Sky+ box as well?
    And which is the one I get if I do pay the £20 for a card, and which is the one I get if I pay nothing but just carry on using the card? Or have I got this wrong?

Thanks so much

The name "Freesat" is actually owned by the BBC. To get Freesat you will have to get a Freesat box and so won't work with your Sky+. They will be bringing out their own version of Sky+ in a few months.

If you buy a FreesatfromSky card for £20 or just cancel your subscription so your card becomes a FreesatfromSky card you get the same channels.

• Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Hi Tel number for the very nice scottish call centre where they are so very helpful and friendly. Direct Number 08442410623.:money: sorry it not local number.

I just upgraded Sky + £49.99 free instalation free calls free 2mb broadband and £5 for line rental for 12months. all for the same money I was paying for my current package.:T

Speak to the nice weegies, Yes I am one but I live south of the border.:rotfl:
  • Hi Guys
    We have no sky at the moment
    We would like to have
    Sky +
    4 mixes
    phone
    line rental
    and 2gb broadband
    can anyone advise the best number to ring and what kind of price I should expect to pay ,will give it a go after tea ,
  • Oh just saw a number above will try that but any advice on what to say would be great as i,m a bit of a pushover usualy
  • chrisandrob

Well sky are offering 4 mixes, eve weekend calls & super fast broadband for £17 per month,

So there is a basis to start you shouldn't be paying more than £17 for the above

Call 08442411218 thats introduce a friend line

Tell them that your a virgin customer but aren't happy with the service and your friend told you about sky, tell them that u rang to cancel your service with virgin and they offered you a deal of free calls/ broadband and an upgrade to virgin plus box. Tell them that you have had such bad service off them that you would much rather join sky as your friend said that they have always found the sevice good. Ask them if there is anything they can offer as you like the sound of the virgin deal but are fed up with the service and you don't want to be paying too much ...... you know with the credit crunch and everything.... let them start talking first and then throw the items your interested into the conversation.....

E.G you could try and ask them if there is anything they could do about your line rental as you are with BT at the moment and virgin offered you to come over to them with free calls but there 0845 calls are so expensive. Mention that talk talk are offering you free unlimited call and broadband but that you woud much prefer to have everything with one provider is there anything u can do. Also say that you would much prefer sky + is there any offer on that

I dunno if the above will work but u can give it a try because a lot of us have made a saving because we are customers already.

If you do go ahead and the above works if you want to introduce me as friend I would be happy as we would both get £50 worth of M&S vouchers.....

Good luck hope it work out for you
  • redrabbit29redrabbit29 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I tried it on with sky the other day.

I had Sky+ installed as a new customer about 4 days ago, and was unsure about keeping it. I'm on the variety package - £22 a month.

I phoned cancellations and asked to schedule a date to uninstall the Sky dish and cancel the contract as I have a 30 day period. He asked why, and I said, Virgin are slightly cheaper and include Sports as part of their deal.

I was hoping for half price sports for 3 months, as I really want it, but can't really afford the original payment at the moment.

Unfortunately he said we can't offer you anything, write to us and we will uninstall your equipment.

Never mind.
    Amo L'Italia
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support