PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone have a recipe for a simple sausage casserole I can make in the SC?

Comments

• Hi,

I know this isn't strictly o/s, but I'm getting better slowly...
    I want to put tea on now for tonight, have found a packet of frozen sausages, some sausage casserole mix, some carrots, baked beans, and half an onion.
    Can I just bung all this in the slow cooker?
    Should I de-frost the sausages first? They're those ones that you actually buy frozen.
    Should I only put some of the beans in or all of them? And do I need any extra water?
    Is there anything else I should add to make it extra tasty?

Thank you
    YC x
    Debts May 09 [strike]£100 Od[/strike], [strike]£1550 boiler[/strike], [strike]£1750[/strike] £400 credit card :mad: Goal - to 3k of savings by Oct 2009 in time for Baby num 2 :j Total so far £1200
  • 2cats1kid
    2cats1kid Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Yes you can just bung it in the slow cooker, and I cook from frozen in mine as I was told that was ok. Been doing it for 2 years and no problems so far!

I assume you know to cut the carrots up really small as vegetables take a long time in a slow cooker?

I'd put in some water, as the casserole mix needs something to work on, and the carrots will struggle to cook without it. And I'd be inclined to put in a dash of Worcestershire sauce, but then that's my magic ingredient for most things!
  • Does anyone know anything else that can pad it out at all? I need this meal to go as far as possible
    Debts May 09 [strike]£100 Od[/strike], [strike]£1550 boiler[/strike], [strike]£1750[/strike] £400 credit card :mad: Goal - to 3k of savings by Oct 2009 in time for Baby num 2 :j Total so far £1200
  • mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    I've just put sausage casserole in my sc, mine consists of several chopped potatoes (3 large cut into inch cubes), carrots (6 I think chopped into large pieces), onions (3 med cut into eighths), leftover hm tom soup (about can and half of toms would prob be equivalent), garlic, mixed herbs, pepper, 3 stock cubes, can of baked beans, can of hot water. Would normally add a handful of lentils and a bit more water but I've run out of lentils!

I have cooked the sausages as this makes them a bit firmer and easier to chop into chunks, 8 sausages from morrison's offer. Will throw them in when they are cool enough to chop.

Don't need any salt cos of the stock cubes. This makes quite a lot of casserole, but my kids all have huge appetites!

Edit: I leave my veg quite large, approx 1/2 to 1 inch chunks, as I bung the sc in the morning and the casserole won't be eaten until early evening, if the veg were too small they'd turn to mush and my lot like big chunks of stuff!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • mummysaver
    Does anyone know anything else that can pad it out at all? I need this meal to go as far as possible

Add some lentils, tinned toms and more baked beans, serve with crusty bread and it'll go miles!
  • Thanks for your help everyone.
    If I want to eat at about 6 - 6:30 tonight, does it want to be on low or medium?

Also, I have some frozen portions of pureed veg that I've done for my little boy. Could I defrost a couple of these and bung them in too?

YC x
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Yorkshirechick,

There is some debate about adding frozen sausages to the slow cooker here and here. I always defrost and brown them first because I think it adds to the look and flavour of the casserole.

I'll add your question to the main thread on sausage casserole in a slow cooker where you should pick up some tips. This thread may help too:

Sausage casserole recipe

Pink
  • Thanks everyone,

Well I've put in a packet of sausage casserole mix, 4 large carrots, half an onion, a can of tomato soup, some chopped tomatoes, some baked beans and 10 sausages. Hope it's nice, as I look to have enough to feed the masses :eek:
    I put the sausages in frozen, as was strapped for time, but will see how they work out, can always cook them next time
  • mummysaver
    Thanks for your help everyone.
    If I want to eat at about 6 - 6:30 tonight, does it want to be on low or medium?

Also, I have some frozen portions of pureed veg that I've done for my little boy. Could I defrost a couple of these and bung them in too?

YC x

I'd pop it on medium and have a look after a couple of hours, just keep an eye on the liquid level, frozen pureed veg will be fine to add.
  • Anwen_2
    Anwen_2 Posts: 234 Forumite
    Found some ancient m&s sausages in the freezer, defrosted them and made a casserole:

Preheated the slow cooker

Browned the sausages in a glug of olive oil, while also boiling some green lentils (brought the pan to the boil then switched it off and left it for a couple of minutes before draining - could probably have stood to have drained them straight away)

Filled the emptied out lentil pan with frozen casserole mix (£1 for a big bag from Iceland, no waste and no need to spend my limited energy on chopping veg - bargain!) plus the rest of the kettle's water (boiled just over the minimum so this was prob about 200ml) and a veg stock cube - brought to the boil and turned heat off again.

Added some frozen peppers to the sausage pan, cooked them a little then emptied the pan, put the stock and veg in that pan to take advantage of the residual heat (switched off the hob) and more spead out volume in the frying pan to cook the veg a little more as it is in quite large chunks

Switched the slow cooker to high

Put the lentils, veg, stock, sausages and peppers in the slow cooker, and added a tin of tomatoes plus a good shaking of red lentils, somr tomato and garlic purees

Cooked on high for 4 hous.

It was loevly!
    DFW stats:
    Currently under review

Proud to be dealing with my debts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts