Cheap car hire article discussion

Options

Comments

• nottRobin
    nottRobin Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi.

I've been looking for a car rental company that will let me pick a car up at Heathrow and drop it off in Nottingham without charging me an extra £35 "one-way charge".

Does anyone know of any big car rental companies (as in that might have a station in Nottingham) that don't charge this extra one-way fee?

Robin.
  • aristote33
    aristote33 Posts: 125 Forumite
    edited 5 July 2010 at 12:53PM
    Options
    How does it work insurance wise when one has an accident with a rented car?

Say, X rents a car from a local car rental for a couple of days with CDW and TP covers included, and also an extra travel insurance alongside with personal liability.

X is responsible for a light incident with a third party car involving breaking the frame of the driver's wing mirror, and the third party is going to get their insurance involved to have the mirror fixed (although it's still fully operational).

What's going to happen?

Should X forward all documents and correspondence to their travel insurance with a claim form acknowledging personal liability?

Thank you.
  • dairoid
    dairoid Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    alnorris wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I really need your help. We're going to Spain for just 4 days at the end of Oct and have hired a car. However, their policy states that we have to pay for a full tank of fuel on arrival (approx 50-80 Euros). We're really annoyed about this as there's no way we'll get through that amount of fuel in 4 days. It also probably means that we're paying over the odds for the fuel! :mad: However, having looked at other comparison sites, this seems to be the case for most of them. Does anyone know of a reputable car hire company that doesn't do this?

Really hope you can help.

Thanks,

Anne
    x

I have always found Auto-europe OK , recently I booked a car with them and found that they had reduced the price by £50 only a week later, on an offer ( I had registered with them for e-mails ).I rang them and quoted their price guarantee and with no fuss the re-invoiced me at the lower price and refunded my original charge the next day.They also promised to do the same again if the price dropped furthur before I actually go.Never had a problem with them though you should ALWAYS read the fuel terms etc on all documentation.N.B take out car excess cover from one of the recommended companies on MSE that way you cannot get ripped off by the actual hire company supplying the car.
  • dairoid
    dairoid Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Jenny wrote: »
    articlealert.gif

This thread is specifically to discuss the
    Article

Click reply to discuss
    If you are flying to Geneva before hiring a car to travel in France then make sure your search is using Switzerland as your destination country , not France.Due to taxation etc it can be up to £50+ cheaper that way. Also a French registered car might have have to pay a 30 Euro annual swiss motorway tax which is normally included in a Swiss registered car.
  • Adamski444
    Options
    I am off to San Francisco for 2 weeks at the back end of August for a family wedding. We are looking at trying to hire an 8 seater with spaces for 2 babies. Can anyone suggest any cheap ways of doing this - current quote about £530? Thanks.
  • colmax
    colmax Posts: 37 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2010 at 1:28PM
    Options
    Hello,

Has anyone had experience with suncar. I booked a car with them in April for Portugal during August and they quoted the best price. I didn't know at the time but they are another name for DECODE car hire. They took my full cash and then a few weeks later sent me most of it back as I have to pay at the car hire company in Lisbon.

The company SADO RENT will meet us at the airport and are now telling us that this is an optional extra and we have to pay €30 each way for the collection. Nothing of this was mentioned in SUNCAR's web site. They told me we would be met at the airport but didn't mention the cost. I emailed SUNCAR and they replied saying that it is clearly stated in my voucher, and on their web site. BUT IT ISNT MENTIONED ANYWHERE!!! I have even sent them a copy of my voucher. Guess what their response was... SILENCE!!! they have absolutly ignored my emails. I will also have to pay for a full tank of fuel which wasn't mentioned either. So our original good price of €330 for a fiesta for 14 days has grown to around €440 which is comparable to the more reputable companies.

I suggest that before booking with SUNCAR or DECODE car hire you do a google search of DECODE. I wish I had as I am now worried sick that we will get ripped off even more.
  • colmax
    colmax Posts: 37 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2010 at 10:26AM
    Options
    Another thing I have noticed about SUNCAR is that they promise you can cancel for free upto 24 hours before the booking. But when you go to their web-site and click on the option to cancel it tells you that cancelling will cost €45. When I called them to ask about this they said I could cancel the booking but they still have to charge because they booked the car and then had to cancel it so it is an administration charge. When I told them that this was not explained properly and was an unfair charge the call was just cut off...

Not honest people, I will definalty avoid in future. I just hope my car is there in August.... :-(
  • agent_orange_2
    Options
    I'm looking to hire a car from Alicante, for 2 weeks (end of Aug beginning of Sep). I went via Quidco, and tried
    Hertz and Avis - they both quoted over £500. I then tried Budget (who work out of the Avis Office at Alicante)
    and there quote was for £268. Does anyone know of a reason for such a difference between the quotes?
  • RFB_2
    RFB_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Read the MSE Cheap Car article and use a comparison site to check out prices Before you look for cash back offers.

Using Travel Supermarket I see a small car from Budget can be as low as £197 for two weeks.
  • agent_orange_2
    Options
    colmax wrote: »
    Hello,

Has anyone had experience with suncar. I booked a car with them in April for Portugal during August and they quoted the best price. I didn't know at the time but they are another name for DECODE car hire. They took my full cash and then a few weeks later sent me most of it back as I have to pay at the car hire company in Lisbon.

The company SADO RENT will meet us at the airport and are now telling us that this is an optional extra and we have to pay €30 each way for the collection. Nothing of this was mentioned in SUNCAR's web site. They told me we would be met at the airport but didn't mention the cost. I emailed SUNCAR and they replied saying that it is clearly stated in my voucher, and on their web site. BUT IT ISNT MENTIONED ANYWHERE!!! I have even sent them a copy of my voucher. Guess what their response was... SILENCE!!! they have absolutly ignored my emails. I will also have to pay for a full tank of fuel which wasn't mentioned either. So our original good price of €330 for a fiesta for 14 days has grown to around €440 which is comparable to the more reputable companies.

I suggest that before booking with SUNCAR or DECODE car hire you do a google search of DECODE. I wish I had as I am now worried sick that we will get ripped off even more.

A friend of my Wife's just used Suncar for car hire in Turkey. When they arrived to pick up the car, no one had any idea who Suncar were. They ended up having to hire at the Airport. As yet, they have been unable to get any response from Suncar
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback