Cheap car hire article discussion

18911131487

Replies

  • Murielson wrote: »
    Been looking into 5 days car hire in Scotland at the end of the month and the insurance excess issue is a nightmare. Hertz are circa £500 or Supercover for circa £14 per day and that raises the hire by a huge amount compared to the basic hire.

    With Car Hire 3000 I note that they have the option of £2.95 Damage Excess Fund at checkout and would just like to confirm if anyone knows if this is basic insurance to pay any additional excess payments such as the £500 referred to above? Adds £14.75 to the hire cost rather than whatever the Supercover costs if I am reading correctly and would appear to be a no brainer!!.

    Thanks in advance for any response.


    Hi there, Firsty let me recommend www.quidco.com as they give generous cashback when you book via merchants such as hire car co. So for insurance excess i used insurance 4 car hire on recent trips to ireland & Cyprus. 49quid for the year

    http://www.insurance4carhire.com/index.asp?addU=1&refID=1267&langID=1&curID=1&gclid=CN2ulP7i0J0CFZ1h4wodwGsDsA
    "onwards & upwards"
  • MurielsonMurielson Forumite
    237 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Havefaith - many thanks

    I only use hire cars very infrequently and therefore the value for money on an annual policy is not there for me. If I can get the daily cover for £2.95 from HC 3000 rather than £4.50 from the insurance company you recommended then that works out better for me. I have noted some other insurance companies also provide this at a lower cost so will also look at them.
  • Murielson wrote: »
    Havefaith - many thanks

    I only use hire cars very infrequently and therefore the value for money on an annual policy is not there for me. If I can get the daily cover for £2.95 from HC 3000 rather than £4.50 from the insurance company you recommended then that works out better for me. I have noted some other insurance companies also provide this at a lower cost so will also look at them.

    Fair enough ... i would make sure you read the small print in details just in case the 2.95 deal is limited in it's overall cover. Best of luck
    "onwards & upwards"
  • Hi all, I don't have a car, but need one over the Christmas period to get around, when public transport becomes worse than normal and I need to travel further than usual. If anyone has any suggestions on where to look, then please let me know. I definitely need 24th - 27th, but could hire for longer. Last year I got an amazing deal with 1car1.com (now defunct) of a transit type van for £75 for 10 days!
  • Regarding low cost excess insurance:

    Questor now do a full year policy, with the option of covering you near your home. I took out a policy this year and claimed for a broken windscreen in the summer. They paid up in full within 2 weeks.
  • I am planning my honeymoon in Canada and need to hire a car with pickup in Calgary, drop off in Vanouver (14 day rental).

    So far from what I can see the cheapest deals are around £350 but one way charges are CAD300+Tax (approx £200).

    Anyone have any idea where I can find a good deal on one way rental in Canada?
  • From the original article:

    Can you turn right on a red?

    Many countries allow you to turn right at traffic lights on red provided there's no oncoming traffic (this is in right hand drive countries) . If you don't do this, you may get abuse from other drivers. So check with the car hire company what the local laws are first


    Wouldn't that be turn left?

    Turning right would be for left hand drive cars.
    I'm not a driver, but it seems a bit strange; as turning right could entail crossing traffic with right of way. Turning left would entail a possible merging. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
  • fifekenfifeken Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Donnie wrote: »
    From the original article:

    Can you turn right on a red?

    Many countries allow you to turn right at traffic lights on red provided there's no oncoming traffic (this is in right hand drive countries) . If you don't do this, you may get abuse from other drivers. So check with the car hire company what the local laws are first

    Wouldn't that be turn left?

    Turning right would be for left hand drive cars.
    I'm not a driver, but it seems a bit strange; as turning right could entail crossing traffic with right of way. Turning left would entail a possible merging. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

    I think they mean driving on the right hand side of the road, not the car.
  • Welly1Welly1 Forumite
    14 Posts
    Hi,
    has anyone got any tips on car-hire in Ireland, looking for a small 5 seater for a week from Belfast City Airport?:o
  • jammin_2jammin_2 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Welly1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    has anyone got any tips on car-hire in Ireland, looking for a small 5 seater for a week from Belfast City Airport?:o
    Belfast is not in Ireland.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest News and Guides