Consumer Rights: MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options

Comments

• Art_2
    Art_2 Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    That's good. Looks like you're getting somewhere.

Regards,
    Art
  • Rachel8077
    Options
    Hi, please can somebody help with the following?
    • Flymo cordless trimmer bought May 2011(from Argos).
    • Charger recalled immediately as part of a product recall
    • Took around four weeks for this to be replaced
    • May 2012 (first time out of the shed this year), the spinning mechanism snapped off and it went skittering across the grass.
    • Flymo Customer Services replied to my email with 'Please be advised that we are not in a position to cover this machine under warranty, as this is only valid for 12 months from the date of purchase.'
    • It was 53 weeks from the date of purchase but for a month of that the battery charger was with Flymo and the product was unusable.
    Is 53 weeks 'a reasonable time' for the life of this product when it parts of it weren't even in my possession for four weeks and it wasn't needed at all over winter? I estimate it has been used approximately ten times :(

Is it unreasonable to expect a free repair out of Flymo? It's not worth paying for a repair, I'd rather give the money to another manufacturer and buy new.

Thank you
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Given you had no use of the machine due to a recall(and as such havn't had 12 months use)
    I would be inclined to contact Flymo again pointing this out
  • Art_2
    Options
    Argos are responsible for dealing with this problem for you not Flymo.

Write to Argos stating the full facts and tell them that you expect a repair or replacement under the Sale of Goods Act. Tell them it is not reasonable for the product to fail in such a short time.

Regards,
    Art.
  • Rachel8077
    Options
    Thanks both, I've just fired off letters to Argos (who I've always had good experiences with) and Flymo. I've done some reading around this site and have sussed that as the contract was with the seller then Argos should have been my first point of call as you say Art. But I still want Flymo to hear my POV!
  • Rachel8077
    Options
    Hi again, had the following from Argos:

'I am sorry to read of your experience with your grass trimmer and with the service you received from Flymo concerning the warranty.

However, I am pleased to advise....will replace the item for you as a gesture of goodwill upon inspection with your proof of purchase.'

Thanks for the support and advice,

:T
  • Art_2
    Options
    A good result!!

Regards,
    Art.
  • xdmdx
    xdmdx Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi, I booked a holiday with breakfree holidays yesterday, and then contacted them a hour later asking to cancel, as after reading reviews of the caravan park, there was no way i could attend due to health reasons.
    I was told by the company that i could not cancel as their terms and conditions of the promotion i booked with stated that no amendments could be made after i received the booking confirmation.
    However, i then noticed that the date of the promotion on the terms and conditions i had accepted as part of the contract were out of date and said that Closing date for bookings is Friday 23rd May. I booked on the 7th June, which surely means that the contract is not valid?
    Can anybody tell me my rights with this contract?

Many thanks.
    Donna
  • Art_2
    Options
    Firstly, you should have read th reviews and the T&Cs before booking. You say you want to cancel after reading the reviews but then go on to say it's on health grounds. Which one is it?

I don't think the date being extended is relevant as they can always say it was extended to allow more people to benefit.

Best to write to the company outlining your problem and ask them to reconsider.
  • xdmdx
    xdmdx Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    If you read it correctly i said "after reading reviews of the caravan park, there was no way i could attend due to health reasons."
    I suffer with asthma and there's no way i could attend the caravan park after reading the reviews of the chalets and seeing the pictures of the disgusting conditions.

Yes, they can always say that it was extended (of which they did when i contacted them) but if there's no actual proof of this, nor the terms and conditions edited to reflect this, then surely it shouldn't matter!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure