Consumer Rights: MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    xdmdx wrote: »
    If you read it correctly i said "after reading reviews of the caravan park, there was no way i could attend due to health reasons."
    I suffer with asthma and there's no way i could attend the caravan park after reading the reviews of the chalets and seeing the pictures of the disgusting conditions.

Yes, they can always say that it was extended (of which they did when i contacted them) but if there's no actual proof of this, nor the terms and conditions edited to reflect this, then surely it shouldn't matter!
    So what you are actually saying is that...
    1. you read the reviews after booking.
      As Art advised you earlier, it it is always a good idea to read reviews before booking.
    2. you read the T&Cs after booking.
      As Art advised you earlier, it is always a good idea to read T&Cs before booking.
    3. they allowed you to book beyond the published closing date.
      That was kind of them wasn't it?
    Do you really think they have to prove to you that they have extended their offer?

Anyway, disregarding all of the above, you have no right to cancel the booking.
    Regulation 6 of The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 says (amongst other things)...
    Contracts to which only part of these Regulations apply
    6.—
    (2) Regulations 7 to 19(1) shall not apply to—
    (b)contracts for the provision of accommodation, transport, catering or leisure services, where the supplier undertakes, when the contract is concluded, to provide these services on a specific date or within a specific period.
    And you will find that the right to cancel is somewhere in that part that doesn't apply.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    It would depend on how the accommodation was described. If the description, for example, read, "luxury accommodation" and it turned out to be the Black Hole of Calcutta, you might have a case.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • bubbles0169
    bubbles0169 Posts: 6,230 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 June 2012 at 2:00PM
    Options
    can anybody help us?
    we bought hoover washing machine in january after 2 months it developed a fault
    they sent out repair man who repaired it
    a couple of months later something else went wrong, they sent repair man again who again fixed it
    a month later something wrong again, repair man came and he fix
    a month ago another fault, repair man comes and fixes
    we have another fault today its the 5th one in 9 months
    hoover say they have to send repair man out and if he can fix the fault thats it, we cant have a new machine
    we are understandably getting a bit fed up with it breaking down every couple of months
    what can we say to hoover for them to give us a new one-preferably candy though:rolleyes:
    so after them sending the new machine fast forward nearly three years and the blinkin motor has just fallen out the bottom of the machine and hoover say all we can do is pay to fix it or buy a new one
    surely it should have lasted longer than this?
    or is it beacause its cheaply made well have to put up with it?
    I am not bossy I just have better ideas:p
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    I should check the date of a post before responding...
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • bubbles0169
    Options
    I should check the date of a post before responding...
    what date on what post do you mean?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    so after them sending the new machine fast forward nearly three years and the blinkin motor has just fallen out the bottom of the machine and hoover say all we can do is pay to fix it or buy a new one
    surely it should have lasted longer than this?
    or is it beacause its cheaply made well have to put up with it?

so about 4 years since purchase?
  • wealdroam
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    so about 4 years since purchase?
    That's right.
    January 2009 the purchase was made. ;)
  • bubbles0169
    Options
    the first machine purchased from hoover was in jan '09 but that developed fault after fault so we eventually got a new one in september '09 so it would be 3 years old september '12
  • Art_2
    Art_2 Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    Because of the age of the machine you will need to get an engineer's report before Hoover will get involved. This could cost you £100+. If the report shows a manufacturing fault you will get your cost back from Hoover. If it doesn't you will have to pay for the report and also the repair cost of the machine.
  • wealdroam
    Options
    But the sale took place in January 2009.

Also note that any remedy under SOGA should be sought from the seller, not the manufacturer.

Did you buy direct from Hoover?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport