Consumer Rights: MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options

Comments

• bigospedros
    Options
    When you make a pre order with companies like Amazon or HMV or Play, they generally don't charge you until they dispatch the item.

I've recently ordered something from the website for the band Feeder, who's shop is run by a company called Topspin Media.

The item I ordered is not released until 30th August and yet they took the money from my account on the day I ordered it (3rd August).

Are they allowed to do this ?
  • 4743hudsonj
    4743hudsonj Posts: 3,298 Forumite
    Options
    When you make a pre order with companies like Amazon or HMV or Play, they generally don't charge you until they dispatch the item.

I've recently ordered something from the website for the band Feeder, who's shop is run by a company called Topspin Media.

The item I ordered is not released until 30th August and yet they took the money from my account on the day I ordered it (3rd August).

Are they allowed to do this ?

Of course they are, youve entered into a contract to buy the goods so taking your money is in their interest as they are reserving goods for you.
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
  • bigospedros
    Options
    Of course they are, youve entered into a contract to buy the goods so taking your money is in their interest as they are reserving goods for you.

Whilst that may be true, shouldn't it state in their T&Cs that that's the way they do it ? If not, then it's not something I've signed up to in the sales contract.
  • cd36uk
    cd36uk Posts: 243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    deanos wrote: »
    What netbook is it, the 9 hours will be with bluetooth off, wireless off and screen brightness on lowest setting and thats at a push

With a 6cell battery you should get about 6-7 thats what we get with out Dell Mini and wireless on and bluetooth off

If you read my post, I don't even get one hour never mind 6-7 !!!
    It doesn't have bluetooth. Power management is set correctly.
    Therefore it clearly IS faulty.

I will be taking Art's advice
  • adh983
    adh983 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All

If i take something back to a shop with a problem within 6 months, and the shop want to send it back to the manufacturer for repair, are they obliged to offer me a replacement in the meantime, as if not there is a possibility that i may be without the product for a number of weeks. If its an item you use on a daily basis i.e a buggy this could could alot of inconvenience.

Thanks
  • GaryPM
    GaryPM Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 25 August 2010 at 9:32AM
    Options
    Hi,

Would someone mind looking at the following please, just to see if I am being unreasonable?

On 16/12/08 I bought a DVD and HDD recorder/player for £89.02
    which was faulty on arrival (unable to tune in and no SCART output). I
    returned this and it was found by ebuyer to be faulty. They replaced
    this item on 05/01/09. (This was supposed to be a xmas present)

On 29/07/09 the replacement item would not switch on. I requested a
    return on this date and sent it back. They found that the item was
    faulty and again, issued a replacement on 10/08/09.

On 28/07/10 the 2nd replacement would not switch on. Again, I
    requested a return on this date and sent it back. Ebuyer found that the
    item was faulty again. This time, a replacement has not been offered as they no longer stock them and Ebuyer have also failed to offer a repair or FULL Refund.

1. I looked on their website and found an identical spec machine. It is a more expensive item (different manufacturer) but is the lowest priced in the range and asked if they would give me that as a replacement. I was told 'NO'.

2. I have asked for a repair but been ignored.

3. I have a asked for a full refund but told I will only get a partial refund as a "proportionate deduction for it's age", will be made - they offered me £64.15 which is almost 39% deduction! There's no way I could replace the item for that amount.

On all 3 occasions they have acknowledged that the item is faulty but are now stating that because it is after 6 months, it would be up to me to prove the fault. :undecided

I've emailed them stating all of the issues and quoting the "Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)" - this was advised by Consumer Direct, but i'm getting nowhere...... :(

To add insult to injury, they also sent me a faulty item on another order which I placed a week before the item above failed. It was a Hard Disk Drive for a Computer and was DOA. I sent this back to them and they replaced it.....

Any advice gratefully received,

Thanks.
  • ablokenamedadam
    Options
    Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong way to introduce a new problem, it's my first time.

I spent the summer working for an NGO in Sierra Leone on what was supposed to primarily be a wildlife expedition. However, this was not the case. In fact, nothing that was included in the original blurb for the project took place, and, as far as I can tell, this was down to a complete lack of research on behalf of the organisers. The company that I travelled with are a registered charity here in England. Where do I stand on requesting my money back (nearly £500) for what I believe to be false advertising?

Thanks
  • dizzybet
    Options
    My husband and i received gift vouchers for both John Lewis and Debenhams as wedding gifts 3 years ago, ready for when we'd have a place of our own. We have recently bought and now will need to start using these vouchers. However, I just noticed that although the John Lewis vouchers have now time limit on them, the Debenhams ones do, and we are well beyond it. We know how much was on them as we made a note when we received the gifts. Do we have any rights to still be able to use them? or is the fact that a time limit is quoted mean that they are covered and we, essentially, are shafted?! We also feel awful that people spent this money on us that now is worthless!
    Please help!
    Thank you
  • Former_MSE_Alana
    Options
    Hi folks,

The new discussion thread for the Consumer Rights guide is here

MSE Alana
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE_Alana wrote: »
    Hi folks,

The new discussion thread for the Consumer Rights guide is here

MSE Alana

Does this mean that the "old one" that was a sticky, (and now isn't) and that people have been using for 5 years, and last used this morning at 10-35 a.m. is now redundant?
    If so,why?
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family