PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Options

Comments

• Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello Carol and MrsHayes:wave:
    Hope you enjoy yourselves in here - I'm sure you will. Good luck with the studies and frugal living carol22 - keep us posted and let us know how you are getting on. Will you take part in the grocery challenge?
    How exciting about your baby mrshayes - definitely something to look forward to in the lull after Christmas!
    w
  • mam2dylan02
    Options
    I too am a long time lurker on MSE
    Im a single mother to a 6yr old boy (6yr old but 60 yr old in the mouth!! lol)
    Ive just passed my 2nd year studying Accountancy and about to start my 3rd and final year :-s
    Currently in the process of making homemade christmas presents for everyone, and scarily am pretty organised!! HEHE
    Have got LOADS of money saving tips from the OS threads and am SO addicted, ive raved about it to everyone i know!!!

Manda
    "IM JUST SITTING HERE WATCHING THE WHEELS GO ROUND AND ROUND, I REALLY LOVE TO WATCH THEM ROLL. NO LONGER RIDING ON THE MERRY-GO-ROUND. I JUST HAD TO LET IT GO"
  • The_Teaahloic
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I have been lurking for a long time.
    I am divorced(about 4 years now) and I live with 3 of my children. 23, 19, 16.
    My eldest daughter, soon to be 25 has given me 2 lovely grandchildren but she does not live with us.
    I am a chilminder and of course love children. I am an N.N.E.B. and have worked in nurseries and chilren's centres.
    Money is pretty tight so I enjoy looking at this sight for ideas for saving it.

Jackie
  • SoniaM_2
    Options
    Hello
    I've been lurking for a long time as well (seems to be a common theme!). I'm 35, live in Cornwall, separated from soon-to-be-divorced ex husband about a year ago, and am now living with my new partner. I don't have children (but might start thinking about it in a year or so), and work full time.

The dream (with a plan to make it happen as well) is to have a smallholding, animals, and self-sufficiency. Off-grid here I come!

Financially I'm shafted at the moment because ex and I bought an expensive house about 15 months ago, and I'm paying for it on my own since he moved out. Until I can sell it (I'm tied into a deal until next April that'll cost more to get out of than I can cope with) I'm stuck there, desperately trying not to increase my borrowing, although I only earn about £150 a month more than my bills so it's hard given transport to work, food etc.

Apart from that I'm a pretty cheery person and love reading the tips and ideas on here!
    Re-learning the basics in life. Working out the difference between what I really need and what I want. Ignoring the latter and making sure the former is as good as I can possibly get, so I don't have to find it again. :D
  • avinabacca
    avinabacca Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya!

Just signed up myself here - lurked for quite a while beforehand though :)

I'm 27 and married (to the awesome Mrs Avinabacca), and we are trying to save a few quid here and there to buy a house eventually.

I'm into homebrewing, homebaking and watching rubbish football - and now also into actually focusing my natural tightwaddery into something practical.

Hope you're all good this day - pleased to meet you all!
    Oh come on, don't be silly.

It's the internet
    - it's not real!

• Lilycharlotte
    Options
    It's really interesting to read where everyone is from and all about them!

Thought I'd drop by and say hi.

I'm 23 and a stay at home mom to our 22 month old daughter. I worked for 6 weeks during the summer in a nursery but gave up as the childcare costs were nearly as much as I earned.

We moved to Staffordshire from Birmingham 18 months ago as our 'get out of the city' thing. All's going ok, apart from my OH is still travelling the 50 miles to Birmingham for work.

I'm going to University in September to train to be a teacher, as I was a teaching assistant at an independant girls school in Birmingham.

I used to live in France when I was younger and moving back there is something we are considering. My parents still have their house there and the chance to live there (rent free might I add) would be wonderful. Just need to quailify for my teaching and brush up on my French!

xXx
    "All of us are lying in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars." Oscar Wilde.
  • fuzzyfelt_2
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've also plucked up the courage to start posting, after lurking for a few months. I'm married, have one adorable cat and live in a lovely quiet village in the countryside. I work almost full-time in higher education - I'm trying to adjust after a reduction in my hours(not by choice). This is only by half a day a week - but this still makes an impact.:eek: On the postive side, this means I can work 4 days a week (one long day) and get an extra day for all the OS batch cooking and MS activities! :D My husband is self-employed, so our income can go up and down to some extent.

We don't have any additional debt other than the mortgage (which we intend to start paying extra chunks towards) and some student loan (from over 10 years ago!). A quick look at our finances made me realise that we have been so wasteful over the past year or two and have been living beyond our means. Thankfully I love cooking and gardening, so I'm doing everything I can MS-style in these areas. I think this board is so supportive and has already given me so many MS ideas! Thought it was about time to start making a contribution myself.
    GC May £178/£250 NSD
  • gtx
    gtx Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    hi everyone,
    i'm another lurker - is this the month we've all decided enough is enough?
    i work for a bank - work there not own - so don't shoot me please!
    there's me, husband and 2 kids and the monthly wages just seem to run out quicker and quicker so we've decided to go old school and joined the grocery challenge thread to try and get back in control and hopefully pay off our debts quicker - there's a mortgage as well as what's in my signature :(

DFW#1062 :idea: LBM Aug 08 - :eek: DFD JUN '22
  • sunflower76
    Options
    How rude of me, I've been posting here for a while now but have never introduced myself.

Well I'm 27, married with a dog a cat and tank full of tropical fish and work full time (unfortunately). I am aiming to pay the mortgage off in 8 - 10 years and being old style is the way I'm going to do it. Once it's gone I shall retire and potter aimlessly in my allotment for hours at a time.
  • fudgecat
    fudgecat Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Full time teacher of Year 6 primary pupils, meaning that 60-70 hour weeks are realistic at certain points in the year (such as the whole Autumn term!). I have always worked full time, including through pregnancy and when children were under a year. I try to cook most meals from scratch and we do all our own renovation work (OH works full time as well). Consider that I only live in the holidays. Sad really, oh yes, and we only have a two up two down house and very old cars, so we are not working for a luxury lifestyle.
    Debt September 2020 BIG FAT ZERO!
    Now mortgage free, sort of retired, reducing and reusing and putting money away for grandchildren...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure