PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Options

Comments

• Teria
    Teria Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I'm Teri, I'm currently a stay at home mum, (although I'm in a bit of an unsettled situation at the moment, so if anyone thinks my posts are a bit contradictory, I'm not being dishonest, or anything!) I gave up my horrible night job in October when my daughter started school, and am unsuccessfully looking for a new job.
    I've applied for an "access to higher education" course starting in September, and so far have heard nothing from the college to say if I've been accepted or not. If I am accepted, the plan then is to then go on to train in Diagnostic Radiography, which will be 4 years of very hard work, but I think I'll get a lot out of it, not least a very rewarding career at the end of it (hopefully). My dad has advanced bone cancer, so this field is very close to my heart. So I'm currently on tenterhooks at the moment waiting to hear about this initial course..
    I'm in quite an unstable relationship with my daughter's father at the moment, so the reason I'm frantically trying to pick up as many money saving tips as I can, is so I know that if I do end up on my own, it will not be too much of a struggle for me to support myself and my daughter.
    I follow a strict vegetarian / vegan diet, so my food bills aren't as much as they could be, luckily, though even the price of rice seems to be going through the roof, which is quite terrifying! It's the fuel bills that scare me the most, though I suspect the electric could be greatly reduced if I could manage to stay away from the computer for more than a few hours at a time!
  • Skint_Lynne
    Skint_Lynne Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am Lynne am 37 years old and I run a gift shop. It's very quiet at the moment so I am looking for a full time job and my sister will run the shop for me. (I was a sales rep in my previous life, so it will be back on the road I think!!). I live on my own most of the time as my OH works away from home. I read MSE all the time though I don't post much. I enjoy reading everyone else's tips and have learned loads from these. I'm trying to convert my mum to MSE at the moment as she is a M & S junkie, she spends about £150 a week in there :eek:, (she's always complaining that she has no money). I usually have dinner at her house so I don't spend a lot on shopping but help out with things round there.
  • AnnieG
    AnnieG Posts: 877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello! I'm Annie, 34 year old single mum to a fantastic 8 year old boy. I work full time in Human Resources, currently in Buckinghamshire but we're relocating to South Wales next week, which at the moment is an absolutely terrifying prospect, although I'm sure it'll be great when we get there.
    I ended up in terrible debt after my divorce 6 years ago, but am on the up now and feel positive about the future.
    I love cooking and my mum always tells me that I coulddo with a lesson in thrift, so here I am, hoping to learn!
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
  • MrsSambora
    MrsSambora Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Hello!

I'm Jill, 34, live in Fife and am single mum to Alister who is 5. I work part time in a community use high school which is right beside our house (thats my £100 a month commuting travel expense knocked on the head!) and am also going to be starting a kids craft class there in the evenings once the school go back. Doing a degree with the Open Uni, a BA (Hons) English Language & Literature and am a Sunday School teacher too. Love rock music, esp. 80's & 90s metal - lots of big hair and spandex!!

Racked up a load of debt whilst trying to get the CSA to extract cash out of my son's father but all under a debt management plan now and i feel back in control and very positive. Now I just need to find out how to add a few more hours on to each dayso i have time to do the ironing and gardening too!

Hi everyone!
    Jill
  • Mander
    Mander Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    I stumbled across this board looking for a recipe for homemade Hobnobs. I'm American (came here to do a PhD and ended up marrying a Brit) living in the northeast. We've just bought a house and although we can just about manage on my husband's salary, it would be nice to stretch out our money a bit further. At the moment I'm not working much except odd jobs here and there, because I'm writing full time. I generally try to save money and resources, but I'm always interested in learning new tips.
  • frugalswan
    frugalswan Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    Morning, all. I was recommended here by a friend, and I have enjoyed having a lurk and have finally decided to join. :) I'm from Peterborough, am nearly 30 ( !!!) and live with my fiance - we'll be getting married next year. I'm trying to save for that, as well as driving lessons and putting something away for the future. Not only that, I have an interest in all things "Old Style" - I've often been told I'm older than my years and all that jazz. ;) I love to cook and get quite enthusiastic about trying new recipes. I do cross stitch and knit and love making things. Next year I want to grow my own veg, too. I have this little dream of living self-sufficiently, and keeping chickens. So we'll see. :) I'm looking forward to being around here and following some threads avidly!
    Continually trying the Grocery Challenge. Gotta keep trying!
  • RosyRed
    RosyRed Posts: 3,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I'm 52,living with my hubby of 32 years:eek: and youngest son 26.They work together in construction and are self employed,so we tend to have peaks and troughs moneywise,depending on whether there is much work on or not.We have another son 28 who lives with his fiancee.
    I gave my job up nearly 2 years ago when my dad became ill.Sadly he died a few months later,but we decided to see how it went moneywise,and are managing at the mo without me getting another job.I think they're enjoying all the home cooked goodies too much,and I am too busy following all the fantastic threads on here,following recipes and tips.:T I think they think I'm a bit obsessed with being an OSer (or miser they call it).Anyway thanks to all who post,keep up the good work.
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • craftlady
    craftlady Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi I'm 40 - married - 2 kids. Love reading MSE. Just made 'artisan bread' 'hobnobs' and joined wooligans. I run after school kids craft club, kids craft birthday parties, I make and sell baby cakes gifts, and home made cakes. I love cooking and good food, and making all sorts of craft thing.
    Wooligans member 2010 - 6 animal blankets. 2 angel wraps, 2 baby hat, 4 Aaron squares, 5 cardigans
    :A :A :A :A :A :A
  • daleigha
    daleigha Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    hello all!! ive posted a few times, and introduced myself on the weddings thread, so thought it was about time i got around to introducing myself here!! :D

im 27, live in Belfast with my fiancee and Lucy the cat (she is like our daughter lol!! :rolleyes: ) we just rent - with house prices the way they are at the minute we have no chance of buying, but im just thinking about it in a positive way - while we are young and free we have a few more quid to have fun with!

im a financial administrator, and i certainly think working with money is perfect for me - i love counting my own (or lack of it haha!! :o ) so i may as well count other peoples and get paid for it!!
    i dont have any debt, but am always on the lookout for ways to save money - 'look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves' is one of my favourite sayings!! :D and especially now, with the credit crunch im starting to feel the strain!! :mad:

we are getting married next september, so saving away for that, and the honeymoon!!

a massive thank you to everyone on this thread who posts such fantastic OS money saving ideas - im the short time i have been on this forum you lot have saved me a fortune, as well as giving me inspiritation to bake more, make more stuff myself and live a more simple life!!

my dream is to live on a smallholding somewhere, growing my own food, having hens for eggs (im a veggie so the hens would have a long life lol!!) and just being as self sufficient as i possibly can!! i have visions of being in my mid 50's, out in the garden, with a straw hat on, picking strawberries!! :rotfl:

hopefully i will be able to help people out in the future on this site as i have been helped out!!

cheers!!

daleigha xxx
  • *Mari*
    *Mari* Posts: 473 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi I'm married with a two teenage children. Work part time and am doing a degree in my spare time!! Hoping to curb my spending by using the fantastic tips posted on this site!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure