PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Options

Comments

• Bunny200
    Bunny200 Posts: 627 Forumite
    Options
    I've been a lurker on MSE for years and saved loads (Thanks Martin:money: !). Mostly I've used the Discount Vouchers esp Tesco.com (can't stand going to the real supermarket now) but generally checking there before I buy anything, also used the Competitions board a lot but not won much.

I was recently made redundant and so decided to become SAHM (DD1 = 5yrs, DD2 = 2yrs). Due to family income almost halving, but childcare costs reducing have needed to cut costs and therefore have become addicted to OS;) .

Have been picking up loads of great tips from here and remembering things from my childhood about how my mam did things.
    • Discovered Stardrops & microfibre cloths (how great is it and how cheap?!),
    • trying to work myself up to making my own bread but not convinced its cheaper than the 65p loaf I happily have (any opinion?).
    • Got white vinegar and soda crystals on order from Tesco (wed night delivery - cheap!).
    • Best thing is having a menuplan, simplifies life and makes sure I only buy what I need and we eat much better variety than we ever did before.
    I think my OH is fed up of hearing how much money I've saved, its become a sport for me now, how little can I spend today!
    Been harvesting recipes left right and centre and hopefully will be able to contribute something back to the people who have helped loads!
  • lumpy_bum
    lumpy_bum Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Options
    hiya!
    ive often looked on this board when ive needed ideas but not really posted that much, ive been in the arms more than anything lol.
    However we are due to move home, buying a house and because the mortgage is so high we are going to need a major tightening of belts.
    im hoping over the next few weeks i am going to get confident enough that i can do a grocery challenge for may :D
    our budget is 400 quid and i know i can do it for probably half of that at least.
    i start a course of the 23rd of this month to start training to become a child minder so even though i will be working i will be at home so i can still spend time cooking and what not!!:D
    i do love to cook, i love to save money and i love a bargain.
    thing is with me i am very faddy and tend to do things in phases, im not sure why but some phases last and some er phase out lol,im hoping that this will be one that stays :)
    im going to try and decipline myself and stick to lists. my sil does and shes on a tight budget but manages wonderfully. and has heaps to spare!! also my best mate is amazing with money, shes ultra organised and is never what id call skint. i think i need tips from them lol
    anyhoo, im lumpybum, im 28, i live with my partner of 4 years,. ive 2 boys, one 10 and one will be 2 in a few months. im a step mum also to 3 other children who come at weekends and in the holidays :)
    il be back later :D
    :cool:minds is willing , soul remains, this woman cannot be saved :cool:
    ;);););););););):A;);););););););)

• minimooch
    minimooch Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    I've been about a little while, posting a bit more frequently now, so decided to introduce myself properly

I'm a 42 yr old mum of 2, DD who is 4 going on 14 and DS whos is 2. Been married 20 yrs now, and think I might have the record for longest time between meeting OH and getting round to first baby (20 yrs :eek:)

Before the children money wasn't an issue, but now both OH and I work part-time and money is a lot tighter. Its taken me 4 yrs to learn that I have finite resources and that I cant spend in the same way as I did. Discovered OS just b4 xmas and am hooked. I cant go more than 2 days without baking. OH is complaining that his waist is growing along with our bank balance.

Thanks to everyone for all your help, suggestions and fantastic recipes especially Dees apple braid and the infamous Twinks hobnobs.
  • cassieshane
    Options
    As I've also been a lurker for a while I'd thought I'd say Hello too...
    I'm single and work fulltime in London (with sneaky lunchtime internet access:D ) . I love experimenting with cooking and have been truly inspired by some of the threads on this great site. I too have made Twinks Hobnobs..yum yum and am a big fan of slow cookers for easy casseroles.
    Going to try batch cooking this weekend - spag bol and chilli (or spagchillibol if it all gets combined):D
    Thanks to everyone who posts recipes and advice on here for the inspiration
  • anniemf2508
    anniemf2508 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    Options
    I'm relatively new here (was registered awhile ago under a different name when i claimed back my bank charges , thank you :money:).
    I'm a stay at home mum to a 9 year old daughter and 17 month old son.
    Am finding some of the hints and tips on the old style board invaluable.
    And am becoming the queen of entering competitions in my house!
  • Maggie_Bob
    Maggie_Bob Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there! I'm Maggie (obviously), I'm 23, and have been hanging around here for a little while, borrowing ideas to help me and the husband afford to live in London (although we are hoping to move out soon). I work full time as a library assistant, which is definatly varied! No kids yet, but I'm sure if I hang around here I'll be well versed by the time that I do get around to having them;)

Lovely to meet you all!
    In a better financial position than ever before (thank you MSE!). Moved back to Scotland and now trying to keep debt-free!
  • mfwb
    mfwb Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've been lurking around these forums for a while now so thought I'd better get round to actually posting something! I'm a MFW but as interest rates are rising I doubt I'll be in a position to overpay anything, ho hum. As long as I can afford to pay my mortgage & bills etc I'll be happy though.

I've recently split up with my boyfriend of 2 years and reading some of the threads on here has helped a lot - the threads about people in similar situations where I've gained some advice and also the happy ones that have made me laugh!

Anyway, sorry for waffling on! I'm looking forward to trying out lots of the OS recipes, saving some money and entering a few of the competitions. Keep up the good work!
  • Petlamb
    Petlamb Posts: 922 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey
    i'm still a bit of a newb, really... been lurking around in OS, and I think i've caught the bug a bit. The last week's been all about using things up not buying new, and using eficiently... and CLEANING! (I never clean, ive been the typical teenager (gah, not a teen for much longer.. :( ) and always left the cleaning and washing up *is embarrassed about that now* lol.

As for me... well, im 19, and work in a call centre day to day, and study psychology part time. (though it doesnt feel very p/t right now as im coming up to a big essay, so it's a lot of the time!)... what else...? Oh, I have 'nuclear red' hair. thats pretty cool. (mind you the cost of the 2 boxes of bleach and sfx dye probably werent very moneysaving, were they? hehe)
    On the up :D
    Our wedding day! 13/06/15
    281273 Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

My name is Jane im 34, married, mum of 3 aged 12,4 and 2. The oldest and youngest are on the autisitic spectrum. Until recently I was a legal cashier (Posh title, little money) but now im a stay at home mum due to the fact Ive got crohns disease and fibromyalgia that is not responding to any treatment. Now waiting for possible surgery. So now im looking at ways to cut the shopping bill down. Ive done a meal list for the next month and worked out what i will nedd each week so hopefully that will help.

Ive got loads of hints and tips off here and hopefully in time i might get some of my own that i can post back.
    Sealed Pot Challenge - No 1520
    Want to be debt clear by June 2012:j
  • jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi, i'm Jackie, i live with my Hubby, three kid's (aged 6, 14 and 17), two Cat's and two Dog's. I'm a PT student (doing Access), but soon to be a FT student (doing a BA Hons in Primary Education, with QTS), i start in Sept . Hubby is not in work (he's starting Access in Sept lol), so i'm expecting things to be tight so need to watch the pennies.

Looking forward to saving a little with a little help from you guy's .

Jackie x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport