PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Options

Comments

• dutchy
    dutchy Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello All!
    I've been a member for about a year. My circumstances changed quite drastically a couple of years ago following a separation, and I needed to find ways to tighten my belt. This website and all who contribute to it have been fantastic, and I have learnt so much from it.

I'm in my mid forties and a civil servant. I live happily with my wonderful partner in Gloucester. My passions are cooking, travelling, running and cycling. I particularly enjoy camping. Through my running I have raised money for Victim Support and Jane Tomlinson's charity JanesAppeal. I am vegetarian and support various animal and wildlife charities and organisations.

I love the community spirit on this website, and the few times I've posted on here I've had some great responses and always very helpful and kind. So a very big Thank You to everyone, including my hero, Martin Lewis, and please keep up the wonderful work!

Tot ziens!

Dutchy xx
    Toto, something tells me we're not in Kansas anymore......
  • angedema
    angedema Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I am also a newby. I have been browsing around the forums for ages and find them really addictive!! There is a real community spirit here that you don't often find in the "real" world.

I work full time running a training company. My partner hasn't worked since Sept 2007, due to work related stress/depression/nervous breakdown. Hence my need to save money as we are living on my income only. We're doing OK, but could always do with cutting costs.

Since reading these forums I have ditched the £36 p/m SKY subscription, joined pigsback, quidco, lightspeed etc, changed my gas/elec supplier, been a lot more thoughtful about the food shopping/food wastage and started cooking a lot more meals from scratch. I'm going to start Ebaying next as we have tonnes of stuff such as XBOX games, books, dvds etc to get rid of.

Off now to put a load of washing on, with half the amount of soap powder, of course!!

Keep up the good work,

Angedema
  • pinklady1985
    pinklady1985 Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    hiya all ive been more of a lurker for discount codes but have stumbled across old style and love it!

im a stay at home mum to 3 kids aged 4years 2 years and 9 months! while dp works long hours as a nightclub manager i sell on ebay quite a bit although seem to buy more than i sell :o
    i was sick of spending £150+ a week on groceries etc and have found this section to be such a big help!
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Phoolgrrrl Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    Hello I've also been a lurker for ages but now am doin GC and postin alot on the NI board!
    I'm a trainee solicitor and saturday lush worker. Hopefully GC will let me give up Saturdays, I'll miss the discount tho :(
    Main reason for lack of funds is I am paying my fees - £7000 over 2 years - as I go. With some help from the rentals when needed thankfully!
    Moved in with OH last June and we are doin so much better money wise since going OS (at 22 hehe)
    Now just need him to stop smoking!
  • lisa1234831
    lisa1234831 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi everyone im lisa 22 single mummy to two boys aged 7 and 3. Iv been a lurker for quite a while now but hoping now to get more involved hope u all dont mind

lisa x :-)
  • Nitha
    Nitha Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I'm Nitha

I'm 25 and a stay at home mum to a beautiful 4 month old boy. I'm currently trying to run a home on a budget (thanks to a silly student debt). I'm quite a contented women, love my little rented semi, appreciate the occasional bottle of cheap chardonnay and a home-cooked meal and above all love spending time with my little boy and husband to be.

My forte is definitely home-made pasta sauces, which I also use as baby food :)
    Taking baby-steps :beer:
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi there from Liverpool, been lurking on the boards for a while, but I am not a very good moneysaver so haven't really had anything to say! ;)

I live with husband, both daughters have flown the nest, one to London and the other just a few miles away. Will be "retiring" the end of August, am currently on long term (16 years now) Incapacity Benefit due to having ME/CFS. I am very lucky to have DLA (low rate Care and top rate Mobility) and currently run a Motability car which is to be replaced in September. Yes, I know there are cheaper ways to motor, but the last few years have been very hard, last year both my parents died. So the hassle-freeness has been a godsend.

We already do some of the OS stuff - mainly vinegar and bicarb based cleaning, but we could definitely do with the kind of hints on this board. Hubby will be retiring in a couple of years, so we need to save as much as possible and get in practise for lower incomes.

Best wishes from sunny Liverpool, :hello:

Maggie
  • Gemish
    Gemish Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya all...

I have been a follower of this website for about a year now but have never had the guts to actually register and post! I have had a really rubbish couple of months (i miscarried 3 weeks ago and my brother was murdered last year and his murder trial has just finished(with a great result i may add)) Which has made me ralise i need to sort my life out now and basically start again from scratch with only good vibes!!

I am 28 and my partner (Craig) is 46, we have 2 gorgeous kids of 5 and 17 months and live in S!!!!horpe.

I have been following the flylady thread for the last month and its been fab, so i'm definaltly going to join that properly.

Look forward to getting to know you all, and changing my life for the better.... basically i'm sick of been skint, i'm sick of living in a tip and i'm sick of sitting round doing nothing all day! It's time for a change!

Take care all xx
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am fairly new to the MSE forum site, although actually looked at the main site for a while now and receive the update emails.
    I used to work F/T but gave up work after my son was born. He is now nearly 1 and I am a F/T SAHM, married, and also have the pleasure of owning a nice white cat.
    I am in my early thirties, live in rural Scotland and in my spare time I like to knit, cook, bake, read, surf the net (MSE, freecycle included among others).
    Keen to save money and aiming to recycle, compost, grow food etc- only managing the first two so far but working on it.
    Nice to meet everyone.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• melvis
    melvis Posts: 6,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all :p

I'm Mel and I'm 26. I work full time in the mortgage centre of a high street bank :rolleyes: spending my days dealing with the redemption of mortgages. I generally work Monday - Friday but have to do one Saturday out of four. I've just started doing earlier shifts so I can spend more time on an evening with OH as we weren't getting much time together previously ... have been shattered why I adjust to it but it's easing off now!

OH isn't working currently but that means he has started (with encouragement ;)) to do the general day to day house work before I get home leaving me time to do the 'extras' hence my participation in the decluttering thread over the past few months. It also means that we can make some extra money off Ebay to survive too as we only have one wage coming in and I've found lots of sruff during my blitzing to sell.
    I've slowly started to filter into other threads on this board as previously I've only really participated on the Comping/DFW boards.

When I'm not working/on here/tidying, I find time to walk the dog (he's a 6 year old labrador/staffy cross and has lots of energy!), to bake cakes, and occasionally go to the pub when funds allow. :beer:
    Small business owner 🧵 Ex MSE comper 🏆 Student loan repayer 💴 Romanian dog rescuer 🐕 Hopefully a cost of living survivor 🤞🏻
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure