PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Options

Comments

• BrandNewDay
    BrandNewDay Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Options
    Hi! I've posted here, before. I've been posting on TME for a couple of years, I guess. But! I thought I'd say "hello" here. I need encouragement in trimming back household expenses.

I'm a stay-at-home mom of two boys. We live near Glasgow. My husband does NOT make a huge salary. Somehow, we managed to buy a 2 bed house in September. We did this by buying a small and cheap house and we're just going to make do with what we have.

I need to trim expenses and find ways to save some money so I don'th ave to get a job. If I have to, I'll work on weekends, but I'd rather put that off for a little while.
    :beer:
  • marc.faulkner
    Options
    Morning All,

I've been a MSE for quite a while, and have picked up some useful recipe idea's from the OS board, although I've tended to post more on the DFW board so far.

Anyway, I've recently started a new job and moved into a new house, which will mean that although I'll be a lot better off in the long run, the pennies will be extremely tight for the next couple of months.

I started the job 7 weeks ago, and due to a delay in moving into the house I've been living in a local B&B since then until yesterday, when I finally got the keys. At £20 per night plus eating out/takeaways every evening and buying food in work each day - it's cost me a small fortune.

I'm also wanting to use this opportunity to improve my fitness, and start to eat more healthily; as I'm going away in September and really could do with shedding a few pounds (or Stone, maybe :p)

I've made a start today, with a Tuna Pasta (with low fat Mayo) for lunch. :D

Anyway, Hi!! :D I'll probably be spending quite a bit more time around here in the near future...
  • sleepy-lady
    Options
    I have been a lurker for ages on the Old Style board so I thought it was time to introduce myself...

I'm single and work 4 days a week in
    London, commuting from Kent. Until the beginning of this year my old dad lived with me but is now in a care home (because of dementia) so I’m learning to live alone. It’s very strange after 13 years of having someone else to cook for and look after to only have myself to please. I think I’ve forgotten what I like to eat when I have the choice!

I’m having to be careful financially because obviously I no longer have any contribution to the housekeeping from my dad, and I think the answer is to get a lodger. Does anyone have any advice on that?
  • Snugglepuss
    Options
    Hi there

I've only been on here a short while, and seem to have naturally gravitated to this board above most of the others!

I'm 34, separated from my husband after 14 years together 6 months ago, and now trying to make ends meet paying the mortgage etc on my own having spent years not worrying about money much at all. :rolleyes:

I've always been into the sort of 'good life' type lifestyle. I got out of it for a while (stress / marriage related :rotfl: ) and tried the whole 'plastic consumerism' lifestyle for a while - worrying about labels, brands etc etc. However now I feel like I'm myself again I can't be bothered with all that stuff. I always cook for myself, grow veg, buy food in local farm shops etc, so this board seemed to work best for me.

I think my wake-up call was when I realised I spent over £300 in one month just in supermarkets. :eek: So here I am - getting back to the reality of being me again. making stuff, using vinegar to clean, cooking properly from good quality cheap fresh raw ingredients etc etc.

Oh and I work full time at the moment, but the dream is to have a small holding with a selection of cottage industries to keep me going as self-sufficiently as possible.
  • hectoriess3000
    Options
    :hello: Hi there
    Only been a member for a short while but starting to save money whilst I need it most. I'm a married mum to the most gorgeous 9 month old daughter. Just now finishing my maternity leave and will be back to work in just over a week so I won't be able to look on here as often as I like. (well at least until I find my feet at work again).:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • Isis_Black
    Isis_Black Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    well im new here!!!
    i am married have been for 10 year now, just had our aniversary last week!!
    got 3 girls, ages 9, 7 and 4! would like a boy but dont think that will happen though!!
    i used to be a full time mum until September last year when i was offered a job in a creche (wasnt looking though!! the staff knew me and knew that i wanted to do the NVQ)
    coming to the end of my level 2 NVQ in childrens care learing and development i ahve to have this all done and handed in to be marked and verified by friday the 2nd May so im being very naughty being on here right now when i only have 2 days till i ahve to have it all done by!!
    hate where i work right now though (i used to love it till a few weeks ago) i am basically being bullied and the manager is doing nothing to sort it so i am rising above it which i think is anoying the bullies:T :rotfl: and jsut biding my time till i can find something better, hell i am just using them now as a way tog et my NVQ finished!!
    i do wish i could go back to being a full time mum but my money pays to keep the car running and to pay a few other bills, yes i think we could cope if i quit as hubby is about to start a new job soon but i dont want to let them win like that!!

1 BIG HUGE WISH right now is to win that jackpot lottery win that would just sort us and family out forever and finally releive that money stress that we have been under for the past few years now!!
    I love War Of The Worlds:heart2:
    Justin Hayward Rules with Forever Autumn:smileyhea
  • Jenkin
    Jenkin Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Been lurking around the forums for a couple of weeks now, so it's about time I joined in.

About me? I'm a nearly full time community nurse (like a district nurse) and wife, mum and housewife.Two beautiful daughters. One mad Jack Russell.In my spare time (ha ha!) I play in an orchestra and sew.

I love this website and find inspiration in the posts. It can be tough trying to be careful with money when everywhere seems to be screaming at you to spend, spend, spend! From advice on this site I've already saved money and began to budget better.Thanks guys.
  • clarefrances84
    Options
    Hi All, I am new and this is my first post ever.

I'm 23 and live with my partner.

I work full-time and I'm a civil servant!

Love reading the forums and trying out the fantastic recipes!

Anyway Hello everyone!!!!
  • picolina
    picolina Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I am a stay at home mum to a 22 month old girl
    I am looking to stay that way and trying out some of the tips i have picked up from this site
    Thanks for all the advise
  • rainmac
    rainmac Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Hi all, I'm a stay at home mum with 2 boys. I'm happy looking after my boys but after being at home for nearly 3 years (and no intention to go back yet either) I/we really miss the £. I've been a member of MSE for a couple of months and have learnt LOADS! I originally came to the site looking for voucher codes for online shopping and then started looking around in other places.

I love the Special Occasions threads and have been totally inspired to make lots of our gifts - flannel cupcakes, bath salts, gift baskets... So, a totally original gift for less £ than appears. Money Saving OS is another fav. I have invested in white vinegar, bicarb of soda and soda crystals for cleaning and have cooked several of the recipes on the board. I've also tried making my own bread (from a bread mix pack but we all have to start somewhere!). Also love the freebies and comps board.

I have signed up for a few survey/ product testing sites. This is not going to make me a millionaire but is interesting and fun.

My attitude to spending has started to change. I ask myself 'do we need it', 'can I get it cheaper' rather than I want it so I'm buying it. I'm also actively trying to get our monthly grocery bill down by planning further ahead, making food stretch (e.g using ALL the chicken, not just the breast meat!), stocking up on what we use when on offer...

...I could go on, and on...

BIG thanks to Martin & team and all who contribute!
    :wave: If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain :wave:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport