PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Options

Comments

• ShirleyPark_2
    Options
    Hi, I've been lurking on these boards for a while and thought it was about time I said hi and joined in *waves*

I work full time as a computer programmer writing website and stuff like that, the rest of the time I'm either in front of a computer, behind a camera or have my nose stuck in a book !! I live down on the south coast with my boyfriend and 2 rats.

I've already picked up some good tips on here, so hopefully I can pick up some more as I intend to save as much money as possible so that we can finally make some major progress on doing up the house.
    Debts: Mum £3923 0% APR
  • grannybroon
    grannybroon Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I should really introduce myself as I have been contributing since just before Christmas. Lurked for ages and felt I had made friends before I had signed up.. Couldn't wait to see what was happening - better than Corrie, East Enders.

Made me realise that I was quite OS (really very OS) with shopping and cooking. Have also learnt a lot with the cleaning stuff, just having new bathroom in November. Stardrops and microfibre clothes now invaluable, as was advice because I mixed two 'no no' products together. Never thought I could be so stupid.

DH retired April last year and loving it. He especially loves going round supermarkets on way home from wherever he has been, getting the bargains and reduced stuff. Took a bit of adjustment for me as I have to work a long time still and quite long hours. I had a bit of resentment but not DH's fault. My main prob is coming home and he wants to talk- I used to have an hour chill out before he came home. However, I remember when I was a SAHM and I launched at him when came in the door.

1 DS (28), 1 DD (26), 2 DGS (almost 4 and almost 2) and another grandchild due in early July.

On the whole I am a very lucky lady as I had family issues until my kids came along, then grandparents weren't exactly supportive. I just want to be a really good Granny. Hence we have the boys at least once a month for sleepover. We have a duplicate of everything. All I need is boys plus change of clothing. And --- I don't spoil them (well just a wee bit) --- but totally re-inforce DD and SIL rules re behaviour and food. Hardly every have to do the time out on the step but do if necessary. Supernanny has a lot to answer too!

GB
  • butterfly72
    butterfly72 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Hi, I thought I'd post my very first post on this great thread! I've been lurking for a long time and thought it was time to contribute!

I'm a 35 year nurse and work in a medical assessment unit. I'm also qualified in reflexology, reiki and massage. I don't utilise these skills but am in the process of thinking about how they can make me some extra money! I love animals and would love to get a horse and a dog.

I enjoy OS and cook hearty cheap meals most days. I'd love to grow my own veg but live in a flat with no garden. I also sell a few books on amazon so enjoy the board over there too! I had a bash at stoozing last year and made a couple of hundred quid! I also keep an eye out for loopholes and offers (eg the barclays £100 account!)

I'm living with my bf of 6 years at the moment... but he's recently told me that he's not sure that I'm not the one. I don't know what to do now.. I'd like kids and times running out to wait around to see if he changes his mind. OS will be invaluable to me if I need to move out!
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
  • weegie_2
    weegie_2 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Think it's about time I introduced myself as well .......

30 years old and work at the University of Glasgow - been here since I left school and love it. Work in a really nice office and although I have changed offices several times still enjoy the job.

Work full time and have two kids, 5 yr old and 1 year old. Oh, and there is also my husband as well :-). Stay in a nice house in a nice part of Glasgow. I'm a typical Glasgwegian (hence the nickname weegie!). Couldn't work full time if it wasn't for my parents and my mother in law - husband does less hours to also look after the kids (so I'm the main wage earner!)

I dip in and out the OS board getting tips and sometimes posting. It's really helped me out over the past while and I would definitely say I have become more OS in the past year. I enjoy cooking and watching people eat what I have made. Some of the regulars on here have given me some great advice withouth even knowing it!

In my spare time I like spending time with my kids, going out, going to the gym and shopping - I'm a bit of a bargain hunter though and always seems to get the best deals. Husband thinks I'm mad but we've saved a great deal due to my diligence. Also freecycle quite a lot as well - have picked up a lot and given away a lot.

That's about it....hope to post a wee bit more often :-)
  • carbonel
    carbonel Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, 48 yo trainer in Health and Social Care.
    Divorced but long term (14years) live in partner.
    Two kids - daughter 30, son 27, both gone out of my life now.
    I small dog.
    4 assorted cats.
    Live in very rural cottage, large time consuming garden!
    Visit MSE whenever possible, feel I've joined a new community.:T
  • sadiedoll
    sadiedoll Posts: 134 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, I'm quite new too...been lurking since before Xmas - a friend pointed me in the direction of the site generally, then I found OS - the best bit!

I'm 34, teacher, live in Edinburgh.

Just really wanted to say THANKS for all the great advice, I've learnt so much from the OS-ers and am saving a FORTUNE. Have stopped shopping as a 'hobby' and am now buying what I really need, cooking meals from scratch and using my freezer properly.

Feel almost like a grown up.;)
  • Allison
    Allison Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I am quite new here also, and really looking forward to getting to know you all better :)

I have been a SAHM for 15 years, my youngest just started school last September so the place seems very weird now during the day. Dh works full time.
  • alips_2
    alips_2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    i thought i better introduce myself i have been lurking a while though.
    I'm Alison married to Marcus, i am a SAHM, we have 4 children aged between 10 and 6.
    I love the helpful threads on here, though DH thinks i have gone mad making yoghurt :rotfl:
    looking forward to getting more hints and tips thanks
  • soapnutter
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm Sarah, a single Mum with 2 kids. I run my own business from home and home educate the kids round that - life is never dull here.

I'm working on downshifting our lives here. We grow some veg , make our own compost and the kids would love a few chickens but it's not practical!

Looking forward to getting to know you all better.
  • boysmum3
    boysmum3 Posts: 445 Forumite
    Options
    I'm Claire
    I'm SAHM to 3 boys (betcha wouldn't have guessed that!!:rotfl: ) who are
    11,9 and 21months. Hoping I can become Boysmum4 later in the year, which is why I have recently been a lurker on OS to get more tips on reducing our outgoings. I will eventually get round to joining everyone on OS daily thread!
    Have become more OS in last 4 months - have always baked and mostly cooked from scratch - aims now are to grow own veg this summer and to continue meal planning.
    I work 1 day a week as a physiotherapy technical instructor, am a volunteer breastfeeding supporter, and in my spare time I am on MSE!
    OH is a lorry driver - away from home most of the week.
    Its good to meet everyone:hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport