PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Options

Comments

• angelavdavis
    Options
    I have been posting for some time but haven't ever formally introduced myself.

I am 37 and divorced with no children but now have a lovely man in my life!

I love scuba diving (my reason for saving most of the time!), underwater photography, gardening and cooking.

I am an IT manager and first got into money-saving when I was trying to fund my Open University undergraduate and MBA studies from my ridiculously inadequate Public Sector salary. I have 11 months left before I complete the MBA.

I come from a family that wasn't particularly wealthy and am fortunate enough to have a Mum who is a great cook so she is a fab influence! Mum and Dad now live in my house by the seaside while I live mainly at my boyfriends the other end of the county. Isn't life complex?!

I very recently changed job and trebled my salary so hope to pay off my MBA debts by April next year, but it won't stop me moneysaving or assisting others in their ventures!!! The next on the list will be the mortgage!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • zenobia
    zenobia Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello, I am 53 and have two grown up children boy 28 has his own home with his girlfriend and a girl 25 who is engaged and saving hard. I have only just discovered MSE and feel like a kid in a sweet shop and didn't know where to start . Finally decided on food and shopping . This is the first time I have really felt in control of what I am doing. How pathetic is that!
  • vfairbrass
    Options
    I work full time but recently went to a retirement seminar put on by my trade union and this has galvanised me to look at ways I can economise and retire a few years (5) before my pension kicks in.
    Husband already retired with a goodish pension but loss of one whole income is a daunting thought. No mortgage and when I last had financial advice was told I had 'a building society mentality' as regards saving. Guess that means I'm risk averse. Am going to see if I can budget to live on one income for a couple of months before I finally decide to jump ship.
    Have two children in full time education, one in university and one going there next year so have that as a niggling financial worry.
    Only manage to look at this site occasionally as daughter always on the computer at home.
  • yummymummy79
    Options
    Well I'm 27, mum to 2 1/2 year old little man and live with OH who has just recently gone self employed. I work part time (3 days) as a consumer advisor which pays OK, but we are missing OHs regular wages as everything he makes at the moment is going back into the business. Luckily we have got a One Account along with 0% purchases credit card so we are ticking along at the moment OK.

My parents never had a lot of money when I was growing up so have learnt to be frugal from an early age. They have now come into some money which they are gradually sharing with me (being an only child does have it's plus points!) but we never rely on these donations and just use them to reduce the mortgage.

I've been an avid reader of OS over the last couple of months but this is my first post. I got a free slow cooker with catalogue purchase, and embarked on my first rubber chicken challenge this week (3 meals for 2 and 3 lots of sarnies plus stock so not bad!!). I manage to restrict unnecessary spending anyway although we do still have some treats, mainly a weekly takeaway.

Waiting for OHs business to pick up a bit more so we can start paying off the mortgage in earnest over the next couple of years.

Love the site!!
    Little lady arrived 13/12/11
  • natzini
    natzini Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm 24, female, and curently am a supply teacher, as well as a part time childrens entertainer, jewellery designer/maker and Guide leader.

I live in a flat the OH and I bought last year, with our 2 pets.

2006 has been a rough ride for the 2 of us- losing 2 Grandparents and myself being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and ME (and thus losing my full time, permanent position) , everything came crashing down and we are struggling with things at the moment.

Hopefully, now we've had our kicking, we'll be starting to sort things out again, and I am looking forward to starting to lead our life OS as well as becoming a FlyBaby couple.

Nice to meet you all, and hope that 2007 is a better year for everyone!

Un sou est un sou
  • clairefun
    Options
    Hello all.
    I've started using the site over the past couple of months (mostly the freebies & shopping bits) but are 'going old style' properly in 2007. I'm 29, married, with a gorgeous little 2 year old boy. We're in the process of selling & buying a place with a 60 foot garden AND about the same again in allotment and can't wait - great for my son but also great for my vow to save money & get healthy next year. I currently don't cook AT ALL - hubby enjoys it & makes so much mess doing it I can't watch, but next year is starting a new job in London so it's going to be down to me as he'll be home later (I'm a stay at home mum). The next kitchen is going to be mine! So I'll be hovering about & asking lots of questions of you all I expect...so thank you for all your help in advance...

Look forward to talking to you all & happy 2007...
  • prophecy_grrl
    Options
    Hi all

I have the most exciting introduction in the world - I'm a 26 year old civil servant from the South Wales Valleys :rotfl:

I live with my wonderful husband (who is currently in the final year of a full time degree), two cats and a dog.

With the prospect of a second wage coming into our household on the completion of DH's degree, I'm ready to go all out with the MoneySaving in 2007. Ideally I'd like to pay off our credit cards and overdrafts by end 2007, and then be able to use DH's wage as a shoe and exotic holiday fund or, more realistically, as a rainy day, earn-interest-instead-of-paying-it fund.

Am steadily becoming an MSE addict, so expect I will be here lots getting to know you all. Looking forward to 2007:j
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • misscutiepie1984
    Options
    I'm 22, female and i work for the railway selling train tickets, this is shift work so i can start work as early as 5am or as late as 5pm on average i work 7hr shifts and i rarely have weekends off :(

I live in a house with my sister and my nephew although used to own a house with my ex boyfriend.... hence why the debt :(

2006 - i have been working my butt off to reduce my debts as my DFD is currently april 2010 and im hoping to make it to december 2008 instead!!!!

Im hoping 2007 will be a year of great change for me :)
    Official DFW Nerd number 227
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!!!!
  • sheenaf
    sheenaf Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi. I am now 60 and have my bus pass which I use to travel to Uni where I have started a part-time degree course. It is £200+ per module so need to fund this somehow & doing surveys , e.bay etc. OH was a self employed joiner who was too conscentious and never charge enough while I worked in the voluntary sector, so low paid and no pension. My choice - I felt the need to do something worthwhile with my working life. However managed to fund our 2 clever daughters through Uni. and although they have good well paid jobs they remain avid OSers. First grandchild due in February, so lots of money saving opportunites and exjoiner prospective Grandad has been putting his talents to good use altering daughters house to create a nursery.
    I am a life long money saver, thrift shop fanatic, wooder, organic fruit and vegetable grower, famous jam and soup maker, etc. but still find useful tips and ideas on this site. BTW I am one of the late night posters because I have 'restless leg' - a really annoying affliction, in that I can easily sleep in the day time but not much between 7 at night and 7 in the morning. Hence the night posts and e.bay etc. washing, cooking, anything you can do on the night shift
  • mazz1953
    mazz1953 Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Holiday Haggler
    Options
    Hello,

I have only been a member of the site for a short time, although I have been receiving the emails for about a year. I found out about this site from my daughter, who is always going after the bargains.

I am 53 years old and have been a bargain hunter for most of my life. I have been going to jumble sales, car boot sales and charity shops for over 30 years, though recently I have had to scale back on the jumble sales and car boot sales as I ran out of space to put my buys. I also used to deal in antiques and collectable, through flea markets, antique centres and fairs.

My aim is to build a website where I can sell the boxes and boxesof excess stuff I have acquired over the years.

Currently, I teach computers to people with mental health problems as a volunteer and we get donations of old computers which I upgrade with the help of a friend. As a result I have become quite good at sorting out computer problems and I sort friends and families computers completely free of charge.

I am always looking at ways of saving money and this site is great, so I have made it my homepage.:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure