PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Options

Comments

• Penny_Saved
    Options
    What a great thread, as a long time reader but newbie poster its lovely to find out more about you all.

I work from home in the (less than) exciting field of tax publishing and spend a lot of time on here too :D I am a single mum to a 2 year old boy who has a fantastic childminder who doesn't mind if the odd payment is a bit late :rolleyes:
    Bank of Mum £10,786.00
    Barclaycard £2,527.00 (£1,000 saved to pay off)
    Overdraft £750.00
    Total £14.063
  • flufff
    flufff Posts: 899 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Well can see by my post count ive been around for a while!
    So time I introduced myself.
    I'm Annette.I'm 34,divorced mum of 4 monsters.3 boys nearly 15(autistic),10 and 5 and a wee madam of 12.
    Have a lovely man in my life who I see at weekends as we live in adjacent counties.He no longer thinks i'm mad with my stockpiling.I'm a hoarder like my Nan was and learnt to cook from her I dont understand the meaning of small portions lol.
    I'm in a total cooking kids fayre rut so dragging myself out of it by my hair ive bought a slowcooker and breadmaker.I can cook when I have the time.
    I live in Cheshire.
    I love making soap,going to rock concerts and car boots.Camping and my mk4 amethyst cabbie my pride and joy.I have an inner child still lol but love having fun with my kids they are my world plus my 5 kitties.
    My aim is to become a mad old cat woman who lives in St.Ives who can point sharp sticks at small children and wear mismatched clothes....
    :-)
    think that sums me up,anyone still here?
  • hazzie123
    hazzie123 Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I am 34,have been seperated for nearly 3 years(will get divorced next year).I have 2 kids,boy 14,girl 3.I work part time and are currently training to be a driving instructor.I have a mortgage and 1 big debt which will be paid off within the next 6 years or hopefully sooner if I get my finger out!

I used to waste alot of money on rubbish before I came onto this site but I have now learnt to have more respect for money and how easy it is to cut back.

My son is even getting involved in saving money.

I`m loving all the posts,Some are hillarious.

Martin you are an angel for making this site and your a sexbomb with it!.lol.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007 :j :money:
  • GrannyKnits_2
    Options
    Hi, Just came across this thread after weeks of reading and gaining so much practical help from all of you. Thought it about time I introduced myself and said a great big Thank You to you all for all this help and info i've taken from this brillliant site.

Apart from reading these posts i love crafts (knitting, cross-stitch, lace making etc, etc,) and have started studying with the OU.

I am unable to work at the moment as i have osteo-arthritis and my dh had to give up work to care for me. As you can imagine money is quite tight now so finding MSE OS has been such a help. I am now addicted to Stardrops and microfibre cloths! Guess what - dh went out today and bought us a slow cooker as i'd been reading the threads on OS! No doubt there will be several posts on that thread from me in the future!

My older children have left home but i have a 9 year old son and 7 year old daughter at home who just love shopping at Mr. Tesco's. My son at Uni has been sent the student's thread and my older daughter is a single mum who is half way through her nursing course - yes another reader of OS!
    Sorry this has turned into a full length feature instead of a quick Hi. So, A quick 'Hi' and thanks again to all you 'postees'!
    Granny
    Trying to stay on the wagon with a FlyLady Daily Fix :j:j:j

• kethry
    kethry Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    *stops doing her deborah kerr impersonation* (but by golly, i love those dresses she wears in that film.. )

hi there!! having a break from hanging curtain lining up (which makes my shoulders and arms ache) and thought i would write this out! my name's kethry and I live in Manchester in the UK. I'm 34, live with my OH, and we've not got children yet, although we're trying! We're on benefits - i'm on long term incapacity (disabled, deafness and PTSD) and OH is currently out of work, so i need every tip at my fingertips to get by and make every penny work to the max.

I'm also trying very hard to lose weight - for the baby thing - and while this is working (doing the GI Diet), eating healthily on a budget is quite difficult. my big thing at the moment, apart from healthy eating, is saving for christmas: christmas is *really* important to me and i would rather eat beans on toast every night for 6 months before xmas in order to have a really good week long celebration than go without at xmas. (fortunately for my OH.. things aren't that bad and we don't eat beans on toast every night. LOL.)

the other (semi) big issue is the ongoing dispute we have with powergen over the gas, its a long story and i won't go into it here but they're basically erroneously treating us as business customers, which means 1) we don't qualify for the duel fuel discount, 2) i don't get the clubcard points on my tesco card, and they've also possibly messed up the gas meter... this is being investigated now with the help of a finance officer (who helps members of the public sort out these kinds of issues at a charity local to us). I'm really hoping this gets sorted out before christmas, because we pay 80 quia a month towards gas and electric (and we're only a 1 bed small flat) and while we could do with this coming down - think of the points i could have potentially earned between now and when i got my tesco clubcard back in february!!! (just done a quick calculation and its around 640 points!) :mad: so hopefully that will get sorted soon - and once christmas is over, and this issue is sorted out, we're gonna look into switching, see if we can save money.

what else? oh i love cooking, sewing, all that homebased sorta stuff - i would quite happily be a full time stay at home mom even if i wasn't disabled - and i would love to get into gardening if i could.. where we live the local yahoos pull out anything that you try to grow so i gave up even trying as the local housing association won't do anything to secure the garden (its got a really low fence that the yahoos can just hop over). Its a shame cos its a large garden so i could, in theory, grow LOTS of crops to feed us.

anyway, look forward to contributing... and to getting to know you all!

keth
    xx
  • hilmix
    Options
    I'm also at home full-time now.Recently overcome agoraphobia but don't go out very often.Finding things hard financially so joined MSE to help our budget and hopefully find new friends.
    I'm trying to locate money-saving recipes but keep getting side-tracked by other interesting sounding posts, is there a place where they are all together?
    I keep reading how much people have saved on household budget at the bottom of some of the posts and am intrigued. Could someone point me in the right direction please as I'm overwhelmed by the amount of info on the forums
    Thanks in advance
  • hilmix
    Options
    Just found thread for money-saving old style so settling in for good read!!
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Hilmix - Have you seen the indexed collections yet? If you haven't just scroll up the screen a bit until you find a blue stripe thingy going across the screen. It says "Indexed Collections" in it. Just in case you can't find it, here's a link:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=56978

BTW Squeaky will come along in a moment and press his big delete button as this thread is just for intros...and this post is a bit off topic/chat/not an intro. If you hit my thanks button that will let Squeaky know you've seen this.

Squeaky - I hope that's OK?

SnowyOwl
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep :)

I'll tidy up later :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Franko43
    Franko43 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I'm 33..nearly 34. Live in Ireland. Am a software Business Analyst. Married one year to the most beautiful girl in the world. She's a cardiac physiologist. Hoping for babies any day. Fully intent on being mortgage free in 5 yrs time so I can get out of this rat race job. Money saving in every way possible - and loving the power over the advertisers and big brands that I get out of it every single day
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure